joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

April 2003 was close for areas near PVD. Otherwise 1997?

Did SNE get anything in the April 2003 ice storm in Albany?  That was the year I graduated high school and remember we lost power for like two days due to a ridiculous amount of ice for April in the Albany area.

"Major Combination Sleet/Ice/North Country Snow Storm

April 3-5 Thursday-Saturday, 2003

Never before in April, at least since records have been kept at Albany dating back to 1874, has there been an ice storm of the magnitude of the event that occurred from April 3rd to the 5th.  It was a historical combination of snow, sleet, and significant accumulations of ice that brought down thousands of trees, limbs, and power lines throughout the Mohawk Valley, Capital Region, and northern Berkshire County over an extended period of time. Ice covered roads contributed to hundreds of automobile accidents Thursday night through Saturday morning. 275 schools closed Friday morning due to the extremely hazardous travel conditions. Across the north country counties of Hamilton, Warren, northern Saratoga, northern Washington in New York, and northern Bennington, and Rutland counties in VT it was a major snow storm that produced between 12" and 18" of snowfall over the three day period.""

Did SNE get anything in the April 2003 ice storm in Albany? That was the year I graduated high school and remember we lost power for like two days due to a ridiculous amount of ice for April in the Albany area.

"Major Combination Sleet/Ice/North Country Snow Storm

April 3-5 Thursday-Saturday, 2003

Never before in April, at least since records have been kept at Albany dating back to 1874, has there been an ice storm of the magnitude of the event that occurred from April 3rd to the 5th. It was a historical combination of snow, sleet, and significant accumulations of ice that brought down thousands of trees, limbs, and power lines throughout the Mohawk Valley, Capital Region, and northern Berkshire County over an extended period of time. Ice covered roads contributed to hundreds of automobile accidents Thursday night through Saturday morning. 275 schools closed Friday morning due to the extremely hazardous travel conditions. Across the north country counties of Hamilton, Warren, northern Saratoga, northern Washington in New York, and northern Bennington, and Rutland counties in VT it was a major snow storm that produced between 12" and 18" of snowfall over the three day period.""

We had some snow and ice as that was a brutal period. I had some ZR even on the trees on the south shore.

Been traveling back and forth from Westerly RI dealing with pumping Moms cellar. Pawcatuck River flooding pretty good with low lying French Village under water about 3 feet up on the houses,tributaries have gone down but still overflowing. Impressed by the amounts of standing water in field's, yards. Hopefully a couple of days of Sun before next rains dry things out.LR is wet but not excessive

Been traveling back and forth from Westerly RI dealing with pumping Moms cellar. Pawcatuck River flooding pretty good with low lying French Village under water about 3 feet up on the houses,tributaries have gone down but still overflowing. Impressed by the amounts of standing water in field's, yards. Hopefully a couple of days of Sun before next rains dry things out.LR is wet but not excessive

interesting up stream rise on the Pawcatuck tonight,top ten flood for this river

03/31/2014 14:45 EDT 1,260P

6.31P

03/31/2014 19:45 EDT 1,290P 6.47P

Downstream no change

03/31/2014 14:45 EDT 3,780P 9.07P

03/31/2014 20:00 EDT 3,780P 9.07P

Sitting at Moms listening to hear her describe going through a tornado in Freeport Texas. Watched as it went by the tornado pick up a parked motorcycle as high as a telephone pole and set it back down.Her neighbor was killed and her brothers house was destroyed, she thinks it was 1939, she goes into incredible detail about the destruction and cleanup. Talking weather history with her is neat, had a detailed convo about 54 hurricane Carol and 1960 March cold. 87 years old but sharp. Water still pouring in, 2 pumps running 1.5 inch lines, one sump, one floor which runs for an hour then I shut it off for an hour. Furnace and Hot water tank saved but spending the night babysitting the pumps.

It was actually April 12th I think. We had sleet too that whitened everything up...midday to boot.

That's it.  I know it was a friday but I guessed the earlier date without looking for an archive.  Sleeted for hours that day.  Horrible road conditions. Fender benders all over the area.

Whiteminster, it was def noticeable on rte. 2 in Westminster and Gardner. Lovely. There was also noticeable icing along the pond near Rietta Ranch here. Prob 1/8th inch accretion imby

wow, I have zero ice, I had  some this morning but nothing now.  You're in quite a colder spot then me though, north central mass hollows

Archived