joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
St. Paddy's Day Storm Obs

nj2va

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys the Euro had 2 inches for us after Saturdays 12z run...it was terrible for this event. GGEM was most consistent of the Globals and NAM was best for short term

From what I remember:

In the long run, all the models did well.  If I remember correctly, there was a pretty strong signal for this storm 10 days in advance.

In the medium run, GFS lost the storm completely, GGEM was often too intense and far north, and Euro was too far south.

In the last 3 days, the GFS rocked.  Consistently predicted something like what we are seeing now.  GGEM and UKMET were similar, and the Euro stayed too far south.

NAM did well, but so did the RGEM, at least up near me.

Still coming down nicely in Towson, we just passed 2".  A salt truck just went down our street -- at least Baltimore County isn't out of salt yet.  Didn't even bother plowing.

Measured an average of 6.5". I said I would be surprised if I topped 6. Well, I'm surprised about a lot of things with this storm

Bob, I'm thinking 9"- 10" not out of ? Few nice bands still to come through. My snowfall rate has been steady to heavy for the last 4hrs or so. At least 4 more hrs of good rates IMHO .

I remember someone posting a day or two ago that if DCA got 4 or more inches, it would be the biggest late March storm since 1964? And if it was 6 or more, even more historical? Can anyone confirm?

Yeah it's a storm for the ages for a lot of the area.

Richmond has a yellow mega dethband. It is moving east.

Everyone, even south Virginia and the Tidewater will get some of this storm. You KNOW that this is a snowstorm for the ages in March when a mega extreme surfer with a wetsuit could surf off Virginia Beach tonight and get snowboard readings off his surfboard lol

I am 26 degrees and 4.5 inches. Steady snow, looks like fog.

Bob, I'm thinking 9"- 10" not out of ? Few nice bands still to come through. My snowfall rate has been steady to heavy for the last 4hrs or so. At least 4 more hrs of good rates IMHO .

Hard to say. 8 seems doable. Above that might be more difficult of the shield gets spotty with heavier rates.

Archived