• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
St. Paddy's Day Storm Obs

nj2va

It's going to start pulsing with lulls. The fastest accums are behind us.

I am not sure about that Bob. Convective elements from the sw has really helped the flow of moisture within the area. Not saying we will get 10 inches, but it will snow for another 6 hours. Great job by the way all winter long by you.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember someone posting a day or two ago that if DCA got 4 or more inches, it would be the biggest late March storm since 1964? And if it was 6 or more, even more historical? Can anyone confirm?

I looked this earlier. It looks like there's been 9 March storms over 6.6" in the past 150 years. Most of those were before the 15th. I think only 3 or 4 were after the 15th. I read this on the internet, so it must be true. The internet doesn't lie. Can any confirm?

I looked this earlier. It looks like there's been 9 March storms over 6.6" in the past 150 years. Most of those were before the 15th. I think only 3 or 4 were after the 15th. I read this on the internet, so it must be true. The internet doesn't lie. Can any confirm?

I'd be curious to know how many of those were at the DCA site as opposed to the "old" DC official measuring location(s).  I know DCA got 6.6" in the March '93 Superstorm, but beyond that, not sure.

Hard to say. 8 seems doable. Above that might be more difficult of the shield gets spotty with heavier rates.

This next band off to our sw looks like it means business . If it performs like the last few were locked and loaded for double digits.Only way I see not reaching that is if that radar just fizzles out. Not likely IMHO .

I am not sure about that Bob. Convective elements from the sw has really helped the flow of moisture within the area. Not saying we will get 10 inches, but it will snow for another 6 hours. Great job by the way all winter long by you.

I think my conservative thoughts right now have a lot to do with being basically shocked I have 6.5 before 2am. Looks like another yellow blob has its sights on Rockville so maybe this is just one of those overperformers that won't let up.

Ratios are way higher than any of us thought. I'll be interested in liquid totals tomorrow. That has a good bit to dp with the higher than expected totals.

Appreciate the compliments. It's been a super fun year. It's nice to know that my weenie analysis is sound. I probably post more confidently than I feel most of the time

I think my conservative thoughts right now have a lot to do with being basically shocked I have 6.5 before 2am. Looks like another yellow blob has its sights on Rockville so maybe this is just one of those overperformers that won't let up.

Ratios are way higher than any of us thought. I'll be interested in liquid totals tomorrow. That has a good bit to dp with the higher than expected totals.

Appreciate the compliments. It's been a super fun year. It's nice to know that my weenie analysis is sound. I probably post more confidently than I feel most of the time

That blob looks awesome.

I'll echo what others have said, but your analyses this winter have been very informative and much appreciated.  It has been a super fun year, indeed!

Only 4" storms after 3/15 at DCA

1964 - 5.2"

1958: 4.8"

1942: 11.5"

Huh...honestly didn't realize that the DCA location was the official site since the '40s; somehow I thought that airport location began in the 1960 (but probably confusing it with Dulles).  This event should get on that list, one would think.

Really nice rates, heavy snow and fat flakes... this will get my area over 5 inches soon.

Love the look of the radar... filling in some to the S/SW. Hopefully this means a few extra hours of snow before it becomes hit and miss, later this morning into the afternoon.

Archived