• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
St. Paddy's Day Storm Obs

nj2va

No question he will be. As a whole CWG was pretty unanimous in the low totals, which makes it more surprising in the boom. I worried yesterday but honestly Jason and Wes have about as good a record as you can find around here forecasting snow.. and when you back it up with the rest of the team... heh, I dunno. Oops. Was definitely clear as it started we were in trouble.

A lot of pieces argued against what we're experiencing now. Present the same basic setup 10 times and 9 of them will be exactly what cwg posted. Every once in a while when you need all 8 cylinders to fire a v10 appears. Reverse busts are rare and fun as F

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of pieces argued against what we're experiencing now. Present the same basic setup 10 times and 9 of them will be exactly what cwg posted. Every once in a while when you need all 8 cylinders to fire a v10 appears. Reverse busts are rare and fun as F

A positive tilted 500mb trough without a ton of forcing present usually struggles to get much past half a foot. This almost feels like a storm where you did worse if you didn't hug the models.. or the snowier ones at least. The high moving in tandem wit the low and the fact that there was plenty of reason to think it would have a good deal of moisture probably should have aided in confidence more.. But, we don't get storms this size with super high frequency in mid-winter let alone mid-March.  I am somewhat curious as to why WPC/LWX were so confident now that they are verifying. Even in retrospect I don't think I could have gone with percentages like they did.

eta: I think the fact that they were initially so bullish on Mar 3 and the situation was somewhat similar up above probably gave less credence to a reason to run more toward them as I think a lot of private forecasters tend to do whether they admit or not.

Winter storm warning :o

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC
238 AM EDT MON MAR 17 2014

MDZ004>007-171445-
/O.UPG.KLWX.WW.Y.0017.000000T0000Z-140317T1800Z/
/O.EXA.KLWX.WS.W.0009.000000T0000Z-140317T1800Z/
FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FREDERICK...WESTMINSTER
238 AM EDT MON MAR 17 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL
2 PM EDT THIS AFTERNOON. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER
IN EFFECT.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION. THE
LOWER AMOUNTS WILL BE LOCATED RIGHT ALONG THE MASON DIXON LINE.

* TIMING...SNOW...MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL CONTINUE
THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON MONDAY. THE HEAVIEST AND STEADIEST SNOW
IS EXPECTED OVERNIGHT INTO EARLY MONDAY MORNING.

* TEMPERATURES...LOWER TO MID 20S OVERNIGHT. HIGHS MONDAY IN THE
UPPER 20S AND LOWER 30S.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST AROUND 10 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BE SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY. TRAVEL WILL
BE HAZARDOUS THROUGH THE MORNING RUSH ON MONDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW
ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN
EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...
FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

&&

$

Nice

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC238 AM EDT MON MAR 17 2014DCZ001-MDZ009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ042-052>055-057-171445-/O.CON.KLWX.WS.W.0009.000000T0000Z-140317T1800Z/DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-LOUDOUN-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-KING GEORGE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...ST MARYS CITY...LEESBURG...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH238 AM EDT MON MAR 17 2014...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT THISAFTERNOON...* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 10 INCHES TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION...WITH  LOWER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE IN LOWER SOUTHERN MARYLAND.* TIMING...SNOW WILL BE MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT. SNOW  MAY MIX WITH SLEET AT TIMES IN LOWER SOUTHERN MARYLAND. SNOW  WILL GRADUALLY TAPER OFF MONDAY DURING THE LATE MORNING AND  EARLY AFTERNOON.* TEMPERATURES...MID 20S OVERNIGHT. HIGHS MONDAY IN THE LOWER  30S.* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

A positive tilted 500mb trough without a ton of forcing present usually struggles to get much past half a foot. This almost feels like a storm where you did worse if you didn't hug the models.. or the snowier ones at least. The high moving in tandem wit the low and the fact that there was plenty of reason to think it would have a good deal of moisture probably should have aided in confidence more.. But, we don't get storms this size with super high frequency in mid-winter let alone mid-March. I am somewhat curious as to why WPC/LWX were so confident now that they are verifying. Even in retrospect I don't think I could have gone with percentages like they did.

eta: I think the fact that they were initially so bullish on Mar 3 and the situation was somewhat similar up above probably gave less credence to a reason to run more toward them as I think a lot of private forecasters tend to do whether they admit or not.

I think what's really crazy is the temps at onset and that it was snowing @ 40+. We all expected rain and/or non-accum through 10pm-12am. That was a "smart" call for anyone. We also discussed ratios (I suck at forecasting that aspect) and 8:1 seemed logical. But I'm fairly certain we'll see over 10:1 once it's accurately calculated. Heck, that early stuff that piled up 2" reminded me of 20:1 colorado powder.

There were some clues to bigger totals in comparison to the 3/3 setup. HP wasn't nearly as strong and the pv wasn't going to hammer in nails overhead. I expected the banded nature the whole time but I didn't expect the banded nature to coincide with favorable temps and ratios. All in all a very tough forecast for anyone and those who went big with sound reasoning get the nod here for sure. My weenie forecast for days was a 2-4/3-6 deal. I did say "some" upside but there is not doubt in my mind I busted and didn't expect this. Learning experience.

Nice

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC238 AM EDT MON MAR 17 2014DCZ001-MDZ009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ042-052>055-057-171445-/O.CON.KLWX.WS.W.0009.000000T0000Z-140317T1800Z/DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-CALVERT-LOUDOUN-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-KING GEORGE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...ST MARYS CITY...LEESBURG...MANASSAS...MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH238 AM EDT MON MAR 17 2014...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT THISAFTERNOON...* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.* ACCUMULATIONS...5 TO 10 INCHES TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION...WITH  LOWER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE IN LOWER SOUTHERN MARYLAND.* TIMING...SNOW WILL BE MODERATE TO HEAVY AT TIMES OVERNIGHT. SNOW  MAY MIX WITH SLEET AT TIMES IN LOWER SOUTHERN MARYLAND. SNOW  WILL GRADUALLY TAPER OFF MONDAY DURING THE LATE MORNING AND  EARLY AFTERNOON.* TEMPERATURES...MID 20S OVERNIGHT. HIGHS MONDAY IN THE LOWER  30S.* WINDS...NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 20 MPH.

I think we are done by 6am...then --SN, then maybe we have another band swing through midday.. 4kNAM says yes.....RAP says...eh

I think what's really crazy is the temps at onset and that it was snowing @ 40+. We all expected rain and/or non-accum through 10pm-12am. That was a "smart" call for anyone. We also discussed ratios (I suck at forecasting that aspect) and 8:1 seemed logical. But I'm fairly certain we'll see over 10:1 once it's accurately calculated. Heck, that early stuff that piled up 2" reminded me of 20:1 colorado powder.

There were some clues to bigger totals in comparison to the 3/3 setup. HP wasn't nearly as strong and the pv wasn't going to hammer in nails overhead. I expected the banded nature the whole time but I didn't expect the banded nature to coincide with favorable temps and ratios. All in all a very tough forecast for anyone and those who went big with sound reasoning get the nod here for sure. My weenie forecast for days was a 2-4/3-6 deal. I did say "some" upside but there is not doubt in my mind I busted and didn't expect this. Learning experience.

No way of predicting these banding features and where they will set up. I just got back in from a walk. Really coming down.

Measured in 3 spots. 8" 8.5" 8.8". I'm calling it 8.5". 10" looks easy. Radar continues to back build. Over 50" for season .

Right around 6" here. Definitely compacting though and I didn't walk that far to get a proper measurement. Still dumping. Should get to 8? 

we're closers....I think 8" for you is reachable....we're good at only a few things- - 95 degree days, wind, 80 degree mins - - and backbuilding, and finale bands are 2 of those things

I'm sitting here with all my house lights off and outside lights on. What a beautiful seen. It's snowing at a inch plus per hour. It looks like a thick fog has set in. I'm blown away by this storm. It just keeps pumping in the snow. I took some serious measurement about 20 minutes ago. I averaged 6.5". My saying goes. NEVER TRUST A SNOW HATER lol. You guys rock!

Archived