amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
St. Paddy's Day Storm Obs

nj2va

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't measured yet and it's still snowing some but I would guesstimate at least 8"-9" IMBY.

Lol measure. When I looked out I swore it looked like 8 inches or so. It was 7. Easy to overestimate snow depth by just looking. I am convinced alot of the reports from social media are bogus because of that, or not properly measuring.

I'd say at least that much.  I was thinking 9-10" looking out my back window. 

Heh.  Good to hear.  And I was trying to be conservative, figuring I'm looking outside for first time in a few hours and may be a little too over-enthusiastic.  Gonna have some coffee and then go out and measure in about an hour before it starts compacting. 

I'm moving to mt. east hoco (aka that ridge near howard high) next year  :snowman:

I'm less than 2 miles from Howard High as the crow flies, but down below that hill.  In some marginal situations, that little distance and elevation has made a noticeable difference comparing between my yard and up on that hill. 

We've also busted the weekend rule this year. Did any snow actually fall on the weekend? Most have been higher impact because they fell during the workweek and during rush hours.

As I think of it, I think they all did fall during the week...the "main" ones off the top of my head:

Jan. 2-3...Thu-Fri

Jan. 21...Tue

Feb. 12-13...Wed-Thu

Mar. 3...Mon

Mar. 16-17...Sun (night)-Mon

Not as major but impactful:

Dec. 10...Tue (yeah, that was kind of a bust but a lot of places closed in anticipation of more)

Feb. 26...Wed (2" in very early morning that made roads hazardous)

We did get some sleet/snow/ice the afternoon and night of Sun., Dec. 8 which was a weekend but caused disruptions Monday morning.

On this day in OH 41 years ago I was born during a snow storm that dumped 10". Currently looks like around 6" on the deck railing, everywhere else it looks like less expecially on the drive.

School closed and it will be interesting how this day will be made up. My liking of year round schooling would help in this situation. I get to spend this day enjoying watching my girls have a blast outside, the best present I could ask for. :)

We've also busted the weekend rule this year. Did any snow actually fall on the weekend? Most have been higher impact because they fell during the workweek and during rush hours.

Yeah, seriously. Does anyone know if this could be a record for snow days for some of the area counties? I've lived in Fairfax County for 40+ years, and I don't recall a winter with this many. Also, that is at least 4 days where the federal government closed as well. I like this winter.

Just went for a Jebwalk and measured: an even 8.0" on the deck.

Yup...and you're below the fall line.  Mega-overperformer. 

Deformation banding FTW. The pieces were in place for that per my post late yesterday aftn showing the mid level features and the euro did a good job on that yesterday aftn. That banding held together nicely. You can see on the radar est storm total that DC and just N-NW were ground zero this time.

Ha!  I'm actually not far from Howard High, maybe 6 or 7 mins by car.

OT:  What neighborhood/area is Simpsonville?  Always seeing that in spotter reports and that may be fairly close to me. Just not familiar with that name.

Simpsonville is the area around Allview Estates and Martin Road (on the other side of 29). It was the old crossroads of Columbia Pike and Guilford Rd and there was (is?) a Simpsonville post office at the Atholton shopping center.

Anyway, measured 8"-10" in various spots around my yard in Columbia (Stevens Forest, to be exact).

Just went out and measured.  Calling it an even 8.0" here in Chevy Chase.  Several measurements closer to 7.5 or so, several a little over 8.0 to nearly 9.0.  I guess we'll see some mood flakes or snow TV rest of today, but probably won't add to totals.

Great event, a nice over-performer to close out the winter!  This locks up the #2 storm for the year for me (#1 of course was Feb. 12-13), and gives me a remarkable 13.3" for the month of March.  43.3" for the season.

Archived