joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Obs Thread

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct. Nothing at all. Hasn't been snowing here since 9:30 am. Once it shut off, it stayed off.

Pretty disappointing bust for this part of the area in the end. 

the decent stuff stopped here about 40 minutes ago

3 or 4", tough to tell with what has been blown around

I've followed every single snow event for 10+ years...every one...like 70 events in a row, and 2 things I have observed among others...and I am certainly not the only one to observe these things....we tend to finish strong - - it snows quite a bit beyond when we think it is ending based on radar..... and no matter what models say, the NW burbs usually do well, because secondary banding sets up well NW of the main modeled precip maxima

As a life long area resident I had never really thought about this until your post but going thru my memory banks this is so true. Does secondary banding set up NW of main modeled precip as a rule or is this a DC trait? Appreciate all your efforts during our snow storms. Very educational

Pouring snow now. 2nd band forming or just thickening up the Leesburg band. Windswept bare fence and deck rails now covered with about 1 inch in the last 45 mins. Very nice. Heaviest snow picked up just about 15 mins ago and looks to last about 1-1.5 hours down this way.

Wife said 6 at our place, though there may be sizable error bars with that report

That seems maybe a bit high.  Although cigrd has about 1" less than I do only a few miles away, so who knows.  I think the final accumulation map is going to not be what we expected at all.  

Nice rates. pretty big flakes, great dendrite production from a green blob. Now we just need it to sit on top of us all afternoon. I am now coming up on FOUR INCHES of new snow! Radar returns are backbuilding too thanks to all the ULL energy to the west

WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOO!!!!

Correct. Nothing at all. Hasn't been snowing here since 9:30 am. Once it shut off, it stayed off.

Pretty disappointing bust for this part of the area in the end. 

IIRC, the forecast was for 4-8" and you got 3". It may be a slight bust... but certainly not a disaster like March 6 last year.

Archived