• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

Look - I am really hoping for high ratios, but think it is the wild card. We (ME INCLUDED) talk about them every storm. I never see the scientific principals applied other than... "It is cold so it is gonna be high ratios" .. I think it will, but would love a met to jump in, and speak sense into a weenified conclusion!!!

And if one did and I missed it.. I am sorry!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look - I am really hoping for high ratios, but think it is the wild card. We (ME INCLUDED) talk about them every storm. I never see the scientific principals applied other than... "It is cold so it is gonna be high ratios" .. I think it will, but would love a met to jump in, and speak sense into a weenified conclusion!!!

I think it's been explained many times.  Snow ratios have to do mostly with air temperatures where the snow crystals are growing.  Surface temps don't make much difference.  In this case, I think ratios will get pretty high (by our local standards) after ~7am with 12-15:1 or so. 

Ratios depend on having a cold surface temp (below freezing) but is more dependent on the temperatures at which snow crystals are forming (you'd like it to be in the minus 12 to minus 16C range and you also don't want a ton of cloud water so you don't want there to be a deep layer with temps in the freezing to minus 4C range.  YOu also want to look at the temps are which the strongest lifting is located....again somewhere around minus 15 is good for high ratios.   Also, usually the highest ratios aree with storms that are clipper type storms since they don't have a lot of cloud water.  Really big storm around our area rarely have ratios in the 20-1 range.  More often, you see 12-1 or 15-1, the latter if the snow is dry.  Anyway, that's a quick rather simplified primer.

Dude I get what you are saying. But explain then how you can look at modeled precip, and have it look the same for area A and area B, but in area A there ends up being heavier snow, which aligned with the modeled VVs that were stronger in area A. There must be some flaw or maybe a resolution issue, but I have seen this plenty of times. It does not always align.

the setup you described could happen for a number of reasons -- mainly focusing on uvv's at 700 won't tell you the whole story anyways -- but honestly, if you got yourself an analysis tool you think works, who am i to guide you away from it.

MidAtlantic - Not a met, but QPF Snow to Liquid Ratio is determined by a HUGE number of factors like percent of water content in the air and snow itself, specific gravity, density, temperature, void space within the ice crystals as they form, upper level winds causing crystal fragmentation, sublimation/evaporation into dry atmosphere, etc.

Because of all that exact measurements are impossible to predict in advance of an event.  You can guess using averages like 10:1 or 20:1 ratios but it's all a guess :)

the setup you described could happen for a number of reasons -- mainly focusing on uvv's at 700 won't tell you the whole story anyways -- but honestly, if you got yourself an analysis tool you think works, who am i to guide you away from it..

So looking at the vertical velocity does not give a better indication of where thunder may occur, as compared looking at modeled qpf or sim radar? Why do we have the mid and upper level tools if we can discern everything from looking at sim radar and qpf plots?

Sorry for the non-contributing question: Do soundings support LWX's "some thunder is possible" argument? 

That's tough question as there is a near surface unstable layer but I'm not sure it's deep enough to support convection.   I've seen a similar look near Chicago and there was convection with it but the layer was deeper.  The other thing I can't look at is for COnditional Symetric instabilty.  We'll have goo frontogenesis with the very strong frontal boundary but you need cross sections or you need to look at layered EPV which is beyond what we can do hear and is too complicated to explain here. 

Archived