• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Disco, Part III

stormtracker

It's funny and sad how I am part of a dying breed who actually forecasts using soundings, QPF, estimated ratios and other intangibles...

Well some people just look at the map and think that is what they will get... some like us actually look into the model and check the how, the why, the how much, and so on

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the point is that you really need to look at models from both a "bottom up" and "top down" approach -- i wasn't advocating for one over another but you shouldn't think that looking at 700 uvv's is going to give you the full picture -- for example, thunder can't really be discerned from only vertical velocity (nor sim radar), obviously you need uvv to get thunder but you also have to consider the microphysics needed for lightning initiation and the necessary instability

i understand the need to try to find simple tools to attempt to try to improve your forecasting skills -- I think we're just talking two different languages here

Fair enough. I am a weenie/hobbyist but I am an engineer so I do like the physics aspect. And I never said looking at uvvs gave a full picture of anything, but it is one tool I have found useful along with looking at RH, rather than solely focusing on the things like modeled qpf. 

Come on you have to have at least a few minute head start, when the run was only at 12 hours you knew it was a great run.

how could i have a headstart? the key is tabs with the past three runs at the same forecast time -- easy to pick up on trends

I always liked the NAM. Seriously though, this is all now casting IMO. Sleet tends to hang on longer in my area, at least with any easterly wind component, so I expect some mixing here even past dawn. Rates will be great when it's all snow, though, so think 6" is a good call ATM.

how could i have a headstart? the key is tabs with the past three runs at the same forecast time -- easy to pick up on trends

Ah got it. I thought you worked for the NWS and got it a few minutes early. I have to try the 4 tabs but with my ADD it may be tough.

don't tell anyone with maps...a warm nose means nothing to a map

I used to refer to the snow maps all the time but learned its best to use soundings, qpf rates, ratios, etc to make a snow forecast based off the model run.  I don't even bother looking at the snow maps anymore, especially in setups like these.

The expansion of the precip to the north is actually tighter on the NAM from 18Z. The cutoff actually got worse if you can believe it. According to the 00Z NAM mere miles will separate a big snowstorm from not much of anything.

it's gonna be a sandwich job by the time it gets here.  tight gradient.  just look at the radar.  hard to see where it's making a beeline towards.  to my eyes, i still think fredericksburg is the spot for this, which i guess is what the models are showing.  i'm still not completely comfortable with things, and i'm a few miles north of dc.  we'll see.

Ah got it. I thought you worked for the NWS and got it a few minutes early. I have to try the 4 tabs but with my ADD it may be tough.

nope -- i'm no more a forecaster than most here -- i'm on the research side of things

Can't believe that I will be left out in the cold just 10 miles north of the M/D line.

I feel you. I'm distraught. Even with this alleged north tick in the nam I'm still only looking at 2-4 inches. Tragic. I wanted this bad. I guess Virginia is for lovers.......snow lovers that is. I was also hoping to be off work tomorrow, so much for that. Boooo Cecil County ........

I used to refer to the snow maps all the time but learned its best to use soundings, qpf rates, ratios, etc to make a snow forecast based off the model run.  I don't even bother looking at the snow maps anymore, especially in setups like these.

Well some people just look at the map and think that is what they will get... some like us actually look into the model and check the how, the why, the how much, and so on

I guess the map is conjured up using tea leaves?

Archived