• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

The pv assets itself at the perfect time. Nice spoke of vorticity comes down through 72 that keeps confluence strong and pushes the entire complex south just enough. It's a brilliant run of course.

The biggest takeaway are the notable favorable changes through 48. It began early. Usually the gfs doesn't back up at short leads. This could be a harbinger but plenty of risk on the table.

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blocking and polar vortex in eastern Canada should always be in the back of your head before interpreting a model run. Great run for the Mid Atlantic. Let's hope this holds on the rest of the 12z suite.

instant weather weenie snow map showing 8-12" for me, sleet first. at least there is no freezing rain this time.

You'd get more than that I suspect because I think ratios would be pretty high during the day Monday if this run were to verify.  Either way, pretty epic run.  

Incredible, and so many subtle things to watch out for.  I guess the best thing is to look at the possible worst and best case scenarios at this point, and use that range right now.  Sort of a a spread.  So, taking the relatively crappy 12Z NAM (and 06Z GFS), we'd be looking at rain to ice/sleet (and possibly a fair amount of that) with maybe light accumulation of snow on top.  The best case...12Z GFS and I guess last night's Canadian (and others from yesterday)...something like ice/sleet (with perhaps some rain at the very start) to a significant snow event.  Both of those "extremes" have some very cold air getting in here through late Sunday night and Monday.

You'd get more than that I suspect because I think ratios would be pretty high during the day Monday if this run were to verify.  Either way, pretty epic run.  

at this point i am just hoping it is sleeting or snowing far enough south in AA county that my boss wakes up Monday morning, looks outside and closes the office.

Otherwise, its a working from home day for me instead of a true snow day

Yep, PV really flexed its muscle this run. HM said yesterday that models might start to realize the the influence of this Artic air. Also the high is 1040 this run. Cold will not b denied this year. Now we wait the Euro. Big mood swings in here. Relax. Nothing you can do about the weather. I think we will b fine for mostly frozen. Just don't want fz. Snow/ sleet combo is fine. All snow is tough call right now.

I think the Arctic front has more bite maybe than depicted by models.  I can easily visualize the front sinking south on Sunday from S PA into C MD ... working it's way thru DC late.  Especially with LP tracking along the front and it looks like it may track just barely to our (Central MD's) south.

At some point Sunday, folks in N&C MD will be cheering on the cold frontal passage while DC folks are waiting.  If any type of frozen precip falling is considered a victory, I believe DC will be happy in the end.

Man, not only is the PV more assertive this run, shunting all mid-level features south; but, it also strengthens the upper-level jet at 200mb to almost 200kt max over northern New England! That will cause some serious uplift over the Mid Atlantic. Suddenly, this is becoming a more consolidated / shorter-duration heavier system.

Man, not only is the PV more assertive this run, shunting all mid-level features south; but, it also strengthens the upper-level jet at 200mb to almost 200kt max over northern New England! That will cause some serious uplift over the Mid Atlantic. Suddenly, this is becoming a more consolidated / shorter-duration heavier system.

I have not looked as much at this in previous GFS cycles (other than the PV)...at least not the jet features you're talking about...but is this a significant change in the GFS's "look", or has it been wavering back and forth on that?  I do recall the other day the GFS had a cycle that gave us a similar scenario, ice/sleet to a snowstorm, but that was in two waves.  Those plots would be gone by now (at least on NCEP's site), so don't recall exactly what the PV or jet structure was doing in that case.  I'd suspect kind of similar, except instead of two waves it's now more consolidated as you say.

With a fresh snow pack I wonder if we could break some record lows Monday night (if the GFS is correct).  That's some super chilly air.

It looks like record lows for the month of March are in jeopardy.

The records to beat are 5 at BWI (3/4/1873), 4 at DCA (3/4/1873), and -1 at IAD (3/15/1993).

Archived