CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry to jump into your discussion but are you saying that the sampling out in the ocean is basically as good as the sampling on or near land now?

thanks

simply, we're obviously not at the point where we'll ever phase out radiosondes, as they are an important observational tool (so are sensors we have on aircraft during takeoff/landing) -- but we are significantly better at making observations from space and a good deal of the improvements in NWP have come from these observations and developing the tools to assimilate them .

Lots more to sample including balloon launches and input into the models

yes -- radiosondes are important but to assume that we have this "black hole" over the wave right now is just incorrect 

simply, we're obviously not at the point where we'll ever phase out radiosondes, as they are an important observational tool (so are sensors we have on aircraft during takeoff/landing) -- but we are significantly better at making observations from space and a good deal of the improvements in NWP have come from these observations and developing the tools to assimilate them .

yes -- radiosondes are important but to assume that we have this "black hole" over the wave right now is just incorrect 

ok.......thanks.......i just learned something new  :-)

Oh no absolutely not a black hole at all. We have come a long way in modeling for sure. I'm just saying that we are closing in a near-short term and as all the necessary players come to fruition the models will hopefully lock on to a narrower window versus differences in the pv, track of the low, cold air timing etc.

I don't have vorticity maps in yet but I would say the Euro appears to be in between the GGEM and GFS as far as the PV wave over Ontario-Quebec. The PV itself is also stronger and slower. This leads to the quicker ending on Monday and further south solution.

We still have a couple of days where this "influence" could increase, leading to something more like the GGEM. Once I get the vortcity maps, I'll know how much of an outlier the GGEM really is here.

- Light rain Sunday afternoon/evening for everyone

- Flip starts in the Far NW burbs around midnight and probably makes its way to far southeast burbs by 2-3am

- I'd guess there is a brief mixy period, but more rain to snow than anything else...the mid levels and surface crash in unison

- snow ends NW to SE from Noon to 2

- QPF around 1" for DC..slightly more western burbs..a little less up toward Baltimore/Westminster

I'd guess a general 4-8" snowfall with the higher amounts out toward JYO and MRB

- Flip starts in the Far NW burbs around midnight and probably makes its way to far southeast burbs by 2-3am

- I'd guess there is a brief mixy period, but more rain to snow than anything else...the mid levels and surface crash in unison

- QPF around 1" for DC..slightly more western burbs..a little less up toward Baltimore/Westminster

thanks, matt for the updates!

From what I'm seeing it's a pretty uniform 6-8 most everywhere. northern tier would get a bit more ice?

Archived