• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

People over on the NYC sub-forum are thinking that the 12z GFS was a fluke. Thoughts?

When you have days of good runs under your belt and then have a major model pull the rug all of a sudden it's either a blip or warning shot. We would act no differently here. Moving from medium to short leads is famous for dropping the weenie hopes and dreams hammer. We have plenty of first hand experience. 

I'm as confident with the gfs solution as I was with yesterday's 12z euro. Until there is strong agreement with the larger scale features you can't bank on any solution. I do like that the gfs made a move early in the run. That's usually a good sign but definitely not always. 

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was mostly asking if anyone here thinks the GFS was a fluke, I should've said it differently lol...

It's a viable solution with limited support so far. We'll know if it was a fluke by the end of tonight's 0z suite. We're getting close to having a good handle on the general evolution and can start working on finer details (for better or for worse) this weekend.  

It's a viable solution with limited support so far. We'll know if it was a fluke by the end of tonight's 0z suite. We're getting close to having a good handle on the general evolution and can start working on finer details (for better or for worse) this weekend.  

I will do what I do best for snow events.......watch it from a web cam from my computer where of course its not snowing

i'd say for the first cycle yet -- envelope has definitely tightened -- doesn't seal the deal but i was worried we'd still have a scattering of solutions in this set of ensembles

Definitely the best cluster by a mile. I half expected the members to hedge on the warmer solution of 6z. Either the gfs/gefs caught something really important with the 12z data ingest or it's playing an awful game with our minds. 

Definitely the best cluster by a mile. I half expected the members to hedge on the warmer solution of 6z. Either the gfs/gefs caught something really important with the 12z data ingest or it's playing an awful game with our minds. 

yup -- unfortunately there's no rule that states the eventual solution has to lie within the ensemble spread of any given cycle, regardless of how well they agree

Between 48-72hr, watch the 500mb plots over Ontario-Quebec. The GGEM makes this wave into a very elongated / assertive wave that rapidly lifts "round 1" and then suppresses "round 2" ... more of a frontal look. The GFS is more consolidated / not as deep with this wave, but does have it. That seems to be the key difference here. The specifics of the storm itself are irrelevant.

yup -- unfortunately there's no rule that states the eventual solution has to lie within the ensemble spread of any given cycle, regardless of how well they agree

no doubt. I've made grave errors in the past being overconfident with both the gefs and euro ens. Especially at the closer ranges. The members should resemble the op pretty closely at this lead....and if the next op run goes to hell...there goes the ensembles...and my hopes and dreams...

The 00z guidance this evening should give a good picture as it samples the main energy moving onshore the west coast. Better sampling, hopefully track forecast will narrow.

I'm not sure this is really going to help (can't hurt). It is all about the delicate play between 2 PVs across Canada and their respective lobes. This determines the amount of influence Quebec will have on our storm. It is that "simple."

The 00z guidance this evening should give a good picture as it samples the main energy moving onshore the west coast. Better sampling, hopefully track forecast will narrow.

the main energy is already being "sampled" extensively by several satellite based sensors, so i wouldn't expect any differences due to sampling -- the importance of ground-based sampling of waves is really a legacy  argument made by mets not familiar with and/or uncomfortable with our current satellite capabilities 

The Euro is out to 36...I am shocked we haven't seen 10 of these posts yet

- Where is the PBP?

- Is anyone around?

- What is the Euro showing?

- NYC forum says it is worse for us

- Does it give us snow

- Looks like there is a 1008 low over Santa Fe at 24 hours

- Does it look like the GFS

School hasn't let out yet

The Euro is out to 36...I am shocked we haven't seen 10 of these posts yet

- Where is the PBP?

- Is anyone around?

- What is the Euro showing?

- NYC forum says it is worse for us

- Does it give us snow

- Looks like there is a 1008 low over Santa Fe at 24 hours

- Does it look like the GFS

no one wants you to call them a dumbsh-t again ;)

this idea that we need "to wait until a wave is sampled by radiosondes" is an outdated argument -- waves over the ocean (or land) are heavily sampled by microwave sounders, infrared sounders, etc... 

sorry to jump into your discussion but are you saying that the sampling out in the ocean is basically as good as the sampling on or near land now?

thanks

Archived