• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 12-13 Storm, Part II

stormtracker

Matt, I like your facebook post. We're still a bit away from really knowing the exact track. In this case, even 25 miles can make a big difference. At the very least I don't think it can go much further west in light of all other guidance. Euro closes off h5 @ hr66 centered over western TN, Then it rolls the ball NE. The vort would need to go neutral sooner to get a further west track. 

Not all guidance is closing h5 either. GFS kinda does but it remains progressive/neutral. Even the slightest delay in closing off or not closing off and simply being a bit less amped moves the track to the east. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, Euro is again colder than the last run, albeit by not much, but I'll take it

this is the 4th run in the row it's gotten colder for DCA/BWI

It DOES show us flipping over to sleet though, at least that's what I've read on here. I think it would be smart of us to assume we won't be seeing the gargantuan accumulation amounts due to how the temperature line has formed this year. 

Matt, I like your facebook post. We're still a bit away from really knowing the exact track. In this case, even 25 miles can make a big difference. At the very least I don't think it can go much further west in light of all other guidance. Euro closes off h5 @ hr66 centered over western TN, Then it rolls the ball NE. The vort would need to go neutral sooner to get a further west track. 

Not all guidance is closing h5 either. GFS kinda does but it remains progressive/neutral. Even the slightest delay in closing off or not closing off and simply being a bit less amped moves the track to the east. 

Its almost like a catch-22 for us... close it off like the EURO and we can get higher snow amounts, but we likely mix with PL. Not close off like the GFS and remain snow, but with lesser amounts.  Not quite sure that there is a middle road we can take

Hey all, I don't post much, just like reading you guys stuff!  But just so I understand, I live by Wes so overall the further East the storm tracks the colder it will get further east?  obviously I don't want so east that it is OTS, but that is how it would basically work.  More east track moves colder air east and vice versa.  Also, more east track moves heavier snow more east or does that not matter, does the track just affect the temps?  Thanks in advance guys, love reading your insight and banter!

If you throw out the american guidance and hug the euro verbatim, then I agree...but who would do that 54 hours out?....Not the I am accountable to the public, but I have been forecasting a long time, and 8-14" is way too bullish at this range when you have a major model giving us 0.75" with mixing

I agree. Its tough to talk about accums at this point. We do not have any kind of model concensus. I suspect the Euro is a little to far west and the GFS to far east. I feel bad for the TV mets this evening. I am sure we will hear something like accumulating snow is likely but just how much is still unknown. Really the only way to play it at this point.

Its almost like a catch-22 for us... close it off like the EURO and we can get higher snow amounts, but we likely mix with PL. Not close off like the GFS and remain snow, but with lesser amounts.  Not quite sure that there is a middle road we can take

I think hedging towards it closing off and more amped solution is prob the way to go (but not necessarily as amped as the euro). GFS was super close and it still looks to be catching up. NAM was quick to the gun obviously. GGEM is later with near perfect neutral @ 72 and closed in southern VA @ 78. 

Oddly, the GGEM is just about the perfect middle ground to the euro/gfs solutions @ h5. We'll see what happens. If the euro slows the close by 6 hours then it would be a big city destruction imo. We just can't determine those fine details yet. Prob not until this time tomorrow and even then little things mean a lot irt sensible wx in each individual's back yard. 

Yeah, that's a bit bearish I'd think. I-95 with only a 70% chance of over an inch? And only a 50% chance of over 4 inches?

Model disco looks ahead to better track detail by 18z:

AN IMPORTANT NORTHERN STREAM SHORTWAVE HAD NOT YET COME ASHORE
INTO BRITISH COLUMBIA THIS MORNING...SO SOME MARKED TRENDS MAY BE
YET TO COME. THE 12Z NAM/GFS/UKMET...HOWEVER...ARE CONSISTENT WITH
THE CURRENT TRENDS AND ENSEMBLE MEANS...WHICH GIVES US SOME
CONFIDENCE IN RECOMMENDING THEM.

Hey all, I don't post much, just like reading you guys stuff!  But just so I understand, I live by Wes so overall the further East the storm tracks the colder it will get further east?  obviously I don't want so east that it is OTS, but that is how it would basically work.  More east track moves colder air east and vice versa.  Also, more east track moves heavier snow more east or does that not matter, does the track just affect the temps?  Thanks in advance guys, love reading your insight and banter!

Yeah, the further east the colder it is essentially, pretty standard. But also the further east the less QPF for the most part

Any other options on the table?  If this thing deepens rapidly enough off Hatteras, would it not generate enough N/NE windflow to keep us all snow? For DCA/BWI anyway?  Just wishful :weenie: thinking I guess...

I wasn't in on the discussion today so dunno. I'm probably a little more bullish than Wes but maybe because I'm a little west of him.  He's a way better forecaster than me though. ;) 

10"+ storms are unusual for DC one way or another so no reason to go past that for now. (re other conversations) 

I love the typos in some of the NCEP discussions, such as this one:

"ENOUGH COLD AIR IN PLACE TO THE NORTH OF THE BOUNDARY WILL ALLOW FOR A SWATH OF SNOW...SLEEP...AND FREEZING WITHIN THE NORTHERN EDGE OF THE PRECIPITATION SHIELD."

=======================================

There will be no SLEEP, that's fer-sher.

I love the typos in some of the NCEP discussions, such as this one:

"ENOUGH COLD AIR IN PLACE TO THE NORTH OF THE BOUNDARY WILL ALLOW FOR A SWATH OF SNOW...SLEEP...AND FREEZING WITHIN THE NORTHERN EDGE OF THE PRECIPITATION SHIELD."

=======================================

There will be no SLEEP, that's fer-sher.

Oh, thank you!  I'm going to save this one, and torture whoever wrote it when I get back to work :)

No you have take that in context... 50% chance of more than 4 Inches > 48 hours out is basically a blizzard.  

DCZ001-MDZ006-007-009>011-013-014-016>018-VAZ052>057-110400-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.A.0004.140213T0000Z-140214T0300Z/
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-HARFORD-MONTGOMERY-HOWARD-
SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-PRINCE GEORGES-ANNE ARUNDEL-CHARLES-ST. MARYS-
CALVERT-PRINCE WILLIAM/MANASSAS/MANASSAS PARK-FAIRFAX-
ARLINGTON/FALLS CHURCH/ALEXANDRIA-STAFFORD-SPOTSYLVANIA-
KING GEORGE-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WASHINGTON...GAITHERSBURG...COLUMBIA...
BALTIMORE...ANNAPOLIS...WALDORF...ST MARYS CITY...MANASSAS...
MANASSAS PARK...FAIRFAX...ALEXANDRIA...FALLS CHURCH...
FREDERICKSBURG
254 PM EST MON FEB 10 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH
THURSDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY
EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW AND SLEET

* ACCUMULATIONS...THE POTENTIAL FOR 5 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW AND
  SLEET.

* TIMING...SNOW IS EXPECTED TO MOVE IN FROM THE SOUTH WEDNESDAY
  EVENING. SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET AND RAIN LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT
  AND THURSDAY. THE SNOW COULD BE HEAVY AT TIMES WEDNESDAY NIGHT
  AND THURSDAY.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S 20S WEDNESDAY NIGHT...
  SLOWLY RISING INTO THE LOWER AND MIDDLE 30S THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.

holy carp!

soundings thru 72 hrs imby are all snow on Euro skewts....that's .83" qpf!!!

at 78 hrs, it's a sleet sounding with another .47" qpf so even if a 1/3 is snow, I'm 1' qpf snow, and then it changes back to snow between 78 and 84 hours with another .33" falling after 78 hrs.

that is surprisingly colder than what I thought

I'll check DCA next

oh, and I don't have to look at IAD because they were all snow on the 0Z run and this one is a hair colder

Translation please of what "marked trends" may mean.

Translation please of what "marked trends" may mean.

Major shifts in track or intensity

I wasn't in on the discussion today so dunno. I'm probably a little more bullish than Wes but maybe because I'm a little west of him.  He's a way better forecaster than me though. ;)

10"+ storms are unusual for DC one way or another so no reason to go past that for now. (re other conversations) 

100% agree Ian (my earlier comment was for humor although true in some respects)... 10+ for my area is like once every three years if that... its gotta be like once every 5 for DC.. at this lead you have to go with the percentages.. especially since we dont have the best cold air scenario.. all that being said... the CWG article very bullish.. IMHO.. especially if you those who have read you guys over the last couple of years

Archived