Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
February 12-13 Storm, Part II

stormtracker

holy carp!

soundings thru 72 hrs imby are all snow on Euro skewts....that's .83" qpf!!!

at 78 hrs, it's a sleet sounding with another .47" qpf so even if a 1/3 is snow, I'm 1' qpf snow, and then it changes back to snow between 78 and 84 hours with another .33" falling after 78 hrs.

that is surprisingly colder than what I thought

I'll check DCA next

oh, and I don't have to look at IAD because they were all snow on the 0Z run and this one is a hair colder

NOW I'M PI$$ED!!!

DCA EURO soundings at 72, 78 and 84 are SNOW!!!

comes close at 72 with some rimming, but still should be all snow

the question for both locations is, of course, what happens in between the 6 hour intervals

very encouraging for us I95 losers!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOW I'M PI$$ED!!!

the question for both locations is, of course, what happens in between the 6 hour intervals

There's gotta be a warm layer in there somewhere?  925?  You sure?

I would assume in my location, except with good rates it would have some IP involved or snow pellets...

NOW I'M PI$$ED!!!

NOW I'M PI$$ED!!!

Euro looked better than it did overall.. track is still too close.  But in that I'm not sure why everyone is running to the Euro + warm. It's still on the western edge of guidance. I mean with the high running away and no massive blocking it might want to run inland but the Euro is still often too amped even at this range.  

NOW I'M PI$$ED!!!

Where do you get Euro Skew-T's?  One thing I can't stand about WeatherBell is the missing soundings... (unless I'm a dolt and just can't find them)

100% agree Ian (my earlier comment was for humor although true in some respects)... 10+ for my area is like once every three years if that... its gotta be like once every 5 for DC.. at this lead you have to go with the percentages.. especially since we dont have the best cold air scenario.. all that being said... the CWG article very bullish.. IMHO.. especially if you those who have read you guys over the last couple of years

We really wanted to stay conservative with the probabilities as we're still over 60hrs away from the storm so a 30% chance of over 8 inches and a 50% chance of over 4" is pretty doggone bullish in terms of probabilities especially when you throw in the climo pops for such events.  They are really rare.  but you aready agree, I'm just re-affirming what you said.

Where do you get Euro Skew-T's?  One thing I can't stand about WeatherBell is the missing soundings... (unless I'm a dolt and just can't find them)

accu wx

I ran the skewts at a location within a few hundred feet of my house so I could use precise lat/long to the hundredth i.e. 39.90/-76.90

(that's not mine but just an example)

I see you're worried about temps. For Annapolis folks like myself that makes sense but the hunch is that BWI does well even with a little sleet.

oh no, my friend, I had a ton of sleet during 3/93 and 1/96

I'll do better than you in temp dept., but not by as much as you would think

west is where you want to be in this storm and I'm not that much west of you

Yeah, I think so. But I have a hunch (hope??) the back end thump might be more than normal. If I can get 4-6" on the front side, then another 2-4" to top off the crusted layer, I will be happy. This would also fit the climo...i.e. 6-10" for us east of 95, and probably 12-18+ west where it stays all snow.

Ellinwood. Seems reasonable

20140212-13_MAsnowInitial.png

The good news is that us eastern folks, especially NE of DC, can make up some ground with the intensifying CCB/deformation axis snow on the back end...at least with potentially longer duration higher snowfall rates as compared to when the back end of the comma head (and a low not as deep) are farther upstream or southwest.

I'd think that you and I would do very well to have a repeat of 3/93. I believe the airport reported just a tad under 12" for that event. 

Archived