joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

where do you live? have some big flakes coming down now - the last hour has been strange - very heavy snow, then a lull, then back to heavy snow

Off of GEorgia road in Simpsonville. It went to all sleet for about 20 min, and panic set in. Then I read what the NWS said, and about that time, biggest flakes of day started mixing in. Now looks to be mostly snow again! Must be a chaotic atmosphere or something going on.currently 27.7 degrees an 2 inches of snow from today!

Consistent with this, the 0Z Euro still had nearly another 0.60" of qpf still to go for much of the Atlanta area after 1 PM today, which includes ~3" of legit. snow from ~0.30" qpf (i.e., with 850's all at or below 0C) after ~7 PM today. So, that would mean ~0.30" of IP/ZR qpf to go. IF there is to be ~0.30" of qpf to go before the snow, that would roughly mean 1.2" of additional IP if it were to be just about all IP. That would mean another ~4" of IP/S to go with the nearly1" already on the ground for a total of ~5", which would certainly still be a major storm in my book. So, we appear to still have a long way to go.

I'm now at 29.1 with freezing drizzle continuing.

fwiw,the rap is showing about the same amount all around atlanta or right up to it.

RAP_255_2014021217_F12_PCPIN_12_HR.png

Off of GEorgia road in Simpsonville. It went to all sleet for about 20 min, and panic set in. Then I read what the NWS said, and about that time, biggest flakes of day started mixing in. Now looks to be mostly snow again! Must be a chaotic atmosphere or something going on.currently 27.7 degrees an 2 inches of snow from today!

thanks Mackerel for representing the Upstate peeps - I live off Parkins Mill Road, north of I-85, just south of downtown Greenville - heaviest snow of the day now

Terrible drive home from work in Morrisville to Cary. Didn't take but 10 minutes for the roads to turn into a sheet of ice. Thankfully I didn't have too many more hills to try and navigate.

Heard Edwards Mill heading toward Crabtree Mall in Raleigh is a real nightmare. Cars can't get down the hill safely after several spun out.

Moderate wind driven snow right now. It keeps getting more and more intense every 30 mins. Can hear some sleet mixing in but more snow than sleet. Best snow in years over here! Grocery stores and gas stations are closing around me,although you can still pay at the pump and get gas if needed.

Archived