joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took me 30+ minutes to get back from the store, which is usually about 5 minutes away. Lots of idiots out there.

Snow is POURING. Temp is now 23 at RDU, so it's nice and cold. We easily have 2", but I have no way of measuring. Changeover line is still down around Fayetteville. SPC mesoanalysis shows 850 temps are still below zero down that way and haven't budged. Looks like the GFS was right after all. NWS upped afternoon snow to 3-5" and another 1-3" tonight. Hopefully this means less ice.

850s are below 0 near FAY? I hope we change back over to snow at some point then.

I have a very nasty light rain/very heavy freezing drizzle going on right now. It's coming down in sheets. It has really put a really hard and thick coating on everything very quickly. Incredibly nasty with the wind blowing 30mph at 27 degrees. I couldn't get out of my driveway if I wanted to, it's a solid sheet of ice.

Still in a dead zone here.  No precip of note since 9am this morning, going on 5 hours ago.  Occasionally a gust of wind but there's not enough ice on anything for it to cause problems.  Even when the radar would seem to indicate something passing through, nothing's reaching the ground.

Our electric EMC has 0 outages.

First half of storm:  bust for us. :)

Took me 30+ minutes to get back from the store, which is usually about 5 minutes away. Lots of idiots out there.

Snow is POURING. Temp is now 23 at RDU, so it's nice and cold. We easily have 2", but I have no way of measuring. Changeover line is still down around Fayetteville. SPC mesoanalysis shows 850 temps are still below zero down that way and haven't budged. Looks like the GFS was right after all. NWS upped afternoon snow to 3-5" and another 1-3" tonight. Hopefully this means less ice.

Agreed.  Barely made it home w the kids.  Cars off the road everywhere, people cant get up hills, accidents galore near southpoint.   Durham traffic cams http://www.wral.com/traffic/video/13384359/   I am watching WRAL and they have someone on from the state police giving advice to people trapped in cars.  This is going to be ugly.  Thank God for Red Stripe.

It was a snow day for the schools. These people are just the working adult populations trying to go home all at one time.

Agreed.  Barely made it home w the kids.  Cars off the road everywhere, people cant get up hills, accidents galore near southpoint.   Durham traffic cams http://www.wral.com/traffic/video/13384359/   I am watching WRAL and they have someone on from the state police giving advice to people trapped in cars.  This is going to be ugly.  Thank God for Red Stripe.

Given how much ridicule was thrown at ATL two weeks ago by people who "know how to drive on ice, what's wrong with you fail people in Georgia?", all I can say is... :axe:

Still in a dead zone here.  No precip of note since 9am this morning, going on 5 hours ago.  Occasionally a gust of wind but there's not enough ice on anything for it to cause problems.  Even when the radar would seem to indicate something passing through, nothing's reaching the ground.

Our electric EMC has 0 outages.

First half of storm:  bust for us. :)

that's amazing - lots of snow just to your NE in the Upstate

One thing for sure is if it does start snowing it won't have a problem sticking to the ice.  I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be just south of the big snow band but I have no science behind it.  I've got pretty moderate zr and ip currently with more bands heading this way.

that's amazing - lots of snow just to your NE in the Upstate

Yep.  West Central and NW/NCentral GA got shut out so far, for the most part.  I have a trace to .10 of ice from the middle of the night, and about an inch of sleet on the ground that was largely laid by 7am.  Continued spitting sleet a tiny but up until 9am, and since then, just breezy.  But most telling is that the electric EMC has no outage issues, so it's not just my personal backyard, it's the whole area that's just fine.

I'm going to say its at 2" now in the Mt Holly area, if not it's close. From 10-1 I picked up maybe a .25", but since flake size finally decided to increase around 1 I've been stacking it up. Mainly snow, can hear graupel hit the window occasionally so I'll say 80/20 snow/graupel ratio. No pure sleet yet...

I have a very nasty light rain/very heavy freezing drizzle going on right now. It's coming down in sheets. It has really put a really hard and thick coating on everything very quickly. Incredibly nasty with the wind blowing 30mph at 27 degrees. I couldn't get out of my driveway if I wanted to, it's a solid sheet of ice.

I have gone back to a mix of sleet and freezing rain.

Nearing 2" here in Cary.  Yeah, traffic is gridlocked.  Companies should perhaps be more aggressive in calling off activities when the forecast is pretty certain (as today was).  No excuse for NCSU being in class until 1p, though the good thing there is a lot of those students probably live on campus or near by.

Archived