SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This event brings back very painful memories...

The map is a little overdone for Clemson. I was there and never able to measure an inch from this storm.

I remember that one well. Clemson really does seem to be the epicenter of the snow hole -- probably because of its relatively low elevation by the lake. A meteorologist colleague of mine in Clemson swears the warming effect of Lake Hartwell itself tends to inhibit snow near town. I'm not too sure about that, but I remember many times when folks would say it's snowing in Pickens, Easley, Greenville, etc. while we'd be sitting there in Clemson with nothing.

The map is a little overdone for Clemson. I was there and never able to measure an inch from this storm.

Uhhh don't remind me of that storm.  I was in school at Clemson for that storm and my parents in Spartanburg.  We basically got nothing while in Spartanburg almost a foot.  Talk about a meltdown.  That's when I came to the conclusion wherever I am will be the snowfall minimum.  For some reason though the eastern part of the Upstate seems to get more on average than the western part.  There was also the huge icestorm than basically spared the Clemson area and crippled Spartanburg.  I was irritated that I missed that too, but I got over that one pretty quickly since it was just freezing rain.  Plus I kept my power.

This was fairly similar to the Jan 2000 "Carolina Crusher" storm as well. That was a little more to the SE, but greenwood got over 6 inches with areas north of CAE over to Lancaster getting over a foot. Western upstate; flurries.

I was in Batesburg-Leesville for the weekend at a retreat and there was a lot of snow/ice remaining, especially on the grassy areas near the marsh.

Even today when it was near 60, there were still small pockets of it remaining. The tree damage on I-26 is unbelievable. There are trees lining the road in some parts from about MM 195 to 155.

I've got about 95% coverage in my back yard and 100% in my front yard, though the areas across the street that get full sun all day are mostly melted. Much of my yard is covered in a glacier that doesn't even compact when it is stepped on.

Just a few miles south and my yard is grass again except for the north side of my house.

I've got about 95% coverage in my back yard and 100% in my front yard, though the areas across the street that get full sun all day are mostly melted. Much of my yard is covered in a glacier that doesn't even compact when it is stepped on.

Same here. Some of the foot steps still appear 4-5" deep.

Yep - my yard is about the same. Nine inches of snow and sleet that's compacted, melted, refroze, melted and refroze again into a 4" thick block of ice! I went to take the dogs out this morning and slipped on it at the top of the hill where you come out of the house. Before I could get my footing they had dragged me all the way to the bottom of the hill on my arse!! :lmao:

Yep - my yard is about the same. Nine inches of snow and sleet that's compacted, melted, refroze, melted and refroze again into a 4" thick block of ice! I went to take the dogs out this morning and slipped on it at the top of the hill where you come out of the house. Before I could get my footing they had dragged me all the way to the bottom of the hill on my arse!! :lmao:

Film at 11?

Film at 11?

Oh, I hope not lol ! But the neighbors probably had a good laugh I'm sure.

That's the second time this week the dogs got to experience living their "inner sled dog". Except the first time it was on purpose pulling my son and he at least was sitting in a sled ha ha.

Today was another devastating day for the snowpack. My backyard is down to around half-coverage, though the front yard is still almost fully covered and quite thick (most of it barely gets any sun). The yards across the street are completely melted except for a few areas that get a little shade.

I suspect I'll have the snow piles from where I shoveled the driveway around for awhile. They might last until the next cold snap.

Going south from Atlanta on I-675 Monday afternoon, I didn't notice many trees down due to the icestorm until I almost got to I-75 (just west of Stockbridge). Then I noticed them again on both sides of Forsyth just off of I-75 S. After this, I saw the last ones of note about 15 miles ESE of Macon just off of I-16 E near Jeffersonville. I didn't expect to see anything east of Macon but I did.

Aside: The cops were plentiful around the Griffin/Jackson areas near the median.

Larry, you know there is a section there right around Forsyth that was due to tornado damage, that section has been there a few years now, it kinda sits at the top of a hill.  

Cops are ALWAYS plentiful there. Like they have nothing else to do.

Steve,

Yeah, I'm familiar with that tornado damage along I-75 about 10 miles north of Forsyth that has been there a few years. This damage to which I'm referring is further south on both sides of Forsyth and is, of course, nowhere near as extensive as that from the intense tornado though is pretty notable.

Archived