• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

The problem up here in Raleigh was everyone taking a half day of work and waiting UNTIL the snow to begin.  

The snow covered the roads in a matter of 20 minutes.

I'm getting a 50/50 mix of sleet/snow south of Raleigh now.  

Will the freezing rain/rain overnight contribute to any melting of the snow or just glaze it over?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the heck is going on up there in Raleigh?  I mean, I know we had our moment down here a couple of weeks ago, but with the way this storm has been forecasted along with the crazy serious wording, how could anyone possibly be surprised up there????  :facepalm:

People too afraid to piss off their employers even though they know what's coming, and employers who inexplicably can't use telecommuting/remote connectivity technologies in 2014.

Here in Silicon Valley, most people have the complete ability to work from home as if they're sitting in their cube.  We call it "Fridays".

The problem up here in Raleigh was everyone taking a half day of work and waiting UNTIL the snow to begin.  

The snow covered the roads in a matter of 20 minutes.

I hear ya, but with what happened here (I mean, we were made fun of on the Jon Stewart show for crying out loud), it's hard for me to believe that it would happen again so soon.  Unreal.

What the heck is going on up there in Raleigh?  I mean, I know we had our moment down here a couple of weeks ago, but with the way this storm has been forecasted along with the crazy serious wording, how could anyone possibly be surprised up there????  :facepalm:

Well, this much snow was not forecasted to the general public last night.

it just switched to sleet maybe 15 minutes ago in NoDa and it's just raging right now.  fine by me, i have the sled ready.  but i want the kick back over to snow...i know we have plenty left with this event so i'm just loving sitting back and enjoying it

All sleet in Spartanburg.  Seems like the heavy stuff keeps going around us.  First batch missed us to the SE and hit charlotte.  Current heavy echos looks as if they will miss us to the NW.  Hopefully things change soon.

I-85 corridor going to blow up... you can see it filling in already as the energy phases into the trough and the coastal revvs up.

What the heck is going on up there in Raleigh? I mean, I know we had our moment down here a couple of weeks ago, but with the way this storm has been forecasted along with the crazy serious wording, how could anyone possibly be surprised up there???? :facepalm:

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it, even if the history is only 2 weeks old.

Observation - still crappy sleet and ZR here.. :axe: :axe:

Snow making a come back in my neck of the woods of the CLT metro area. Seems like I was light to moderate sleet in that 30-45 min lull. Now about 50-50 with nickel sized flakes and increasing the amount of snow falling.

We only had sleet up here for about 30 minutes (1/2 and 1/2) during the lull but have been all snow for a while now.  Hopefully that "line" is pushing back south.

My suggestion would be that the state governement be able to declare a day as a potential severe weather hazard and any employee not going to work that day would be protected from being fired.  They won't get paid, but at least they won't be fired.  Same goes with employees wishing to leave work early for fear of being caught out in weather with an employer that is hesitant to call the day as early as they probably should.

Ughh....when is it going to be Atlanta's turn? Everyone is reporting snow yet I have not seen one big snowflake yet this entire storm, from either wave...it's disappointing.

Same here....tremendous sleet storm but haven't seem any of the beautiful fluffy snow I was looking forward to. Initial forecasts of 8-10 inches have been downgraded many times today now maybe 4 when it's all said and done? Sledding's pretty good though

During ~2-3 PM, I got just over 1/2" of new sleet!  Add that to the nearly 1" I had this morning..so ~1.5" total sleet along with perhaps ~0.15" of ice buildup. Actually, it is 1" of sleet on the bottom, then a freezing drizzle caused thin slick layer above that, and then 1/2" of sleet above that from this new sleet. By the way, 1/2" sleet per hour is equivalent to something like 1 1/4" of snow per hour and ~.10-15" of liquid/hour. Not to shabby at all! I roughly estimate that there as of 3 PM there has been 0.75" of liquid equiv. here in Dunwoody since midnight in the form of a little rain (say 0.10"), ~0.25" of ZR/ZL, and 0.35-0.40" of sleet.

Now 28.9. radar shows precip. all of the way back to central Miss even now. I'm not saying that necessarily means continuous precip. til that gets past, but I am saying there will be precip. opportunities at least until it passes. In ATL, the precip. isn't likely to be all over for another 12-16 hours or so, say ~ 5 AM per the 12Z GFS and Euro!

To those in the ATL area complaining about not yet seeing snow, keep in mind that it wasn't even supposed to occur til tonight in the first place when 850's finally fall to 0C and colder. Any snow mixed in already today is just a bonus.

This continues to be a very enjoyable winter storm for me to experience here in Dunwoody.

Archived