joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to blame the employers, too. I told my boss it was snowing hard in Fayetteville and coming this way. She let us leave at 12:00, just in time. If we hadn't closed then I was going to leave anyway. Some employers just don't care. It is not worth it, though.

I've heard back from my friends in Triangle and they agree with you. It's the employers holding them too long.

Sounds like WxSouth thinks more snow is coming.

Precip is about to be developing quickly in VA, NC where it hasn't already and is about to re-develop quickly in much of northern half of Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. The upper wave that is going to dive in and phase is approaching the Gulf low, and the strong divergence aloft is causing precip to rapidly blossom. You can view it on the radar snap shot below. First frames are a 12 hour loop, but the second animation is a closer up view of Atlanta radar, showing the moisture rapidly redeveloping under perfect conditions. Translation: Major Snowstorm extreme northern GA, eastern TN , western Carolinas much of piedmont NC and VA.

The Wilmington area is crazy. We picked up a quarter inch of ice yesterday and at least that, probably much more, this morning, as it has been pouring freezing rain since about 4am. Trees and power poles are down everywhere, and you can hear the constant sound of more cracking and falling. Definitely an ice storm to remember here.

We went from regular sleet to a brief couple of minutes of freezing rain - near-instantaneous ice-sheeting over the driveway! - back to mostly sleet, and as of about five minutes ago, it's switched over to snow/sleet mix.

In the space of two minutes we had a grand demonstration of the difference between sleet and freezing rain.

Pingers mixing in here with light snow. As for the bright green bands (seen on the link below) Rankin who is directly under them says it's sleet mixing in but still heavy snow. 

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=GSP-N0C-1-12

went for a walk with my wife and daughter in the same band- just really heavy snow- we had to turn around and go in early because the wind was blowing it in our faces

My brother is stuck on the road in Durham. Lots of posts on facebook from folks stuck on the road.

Just got this one from a friend's wife:  Greg stuck on Garret. He said cars stopped. People getting out and leaving cars. Anyone know if it's moving at hope valley or any where else? Or should he start walking home? How does this happen ? :))

Snow and sleet coming down hard in alpharetta per parents

Very impressive sleet here in Dunwoody last hour and piling up fast! Pavement covered with this new layer of sleet. This part of storm seems to be be overperforming and more IP still to come plus snow expected tonight. Now pretty steady at 29.1.

Archived