joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Observation

JoshM

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big winds and rain the story here.  Very little zr, but a boat load of rain.  I've been in a precip hole pretty much since 8, and if it wasn't for the winds there would be no effects for this little zr incident.  Pretty amazing considering how everyone else seems to be covered up in sleet, or snow.  Oh, well, it is ever and always with me.  I have never gotten squat for the big ticket storms, except for zr.  I do much better when the storm sneaks up and happens, lol.  T

Back over to a very heavy sleet storm in Dacula.  

I have a very nasty light rain/very heavy freezing drizzle going on right now. It's coming down in sheets. It has really put a really hard and thick coating on everything very quickly. Incredibly nasty with the wind blowing 30mph at 27 degrees. I couldn't get out of my driveway if I wanted to, it's a solid sheet of ice.

NW High Point

Snowing hard

Can't believe how quickly everything completely covered

Wind is starting to pick up

It's crazy out there.  I just got in from off the roads.  The interstates are painted white.  Cars are sliding everywhere.  I saw someone almost get into a head-on on the way home.  The flakes are small, but so numerous!

I just officially measured and came out with an average of 1.8 inches on flat surfaces.  Currently in a lull, but I like the looks of what’s pivoting through atlanta at the moment.

interesting, I guess will get a lull soon - mod to heavy snow here near downtown Greenville - must be at least 3 inches on the ground

Why wasn't today a snow day/closed day for Raleigh/Durham?  I remember when I lived in the Triangle from 2006-2009, everyone was extremely cautious about not being at work or school in advance of any snow threat.

It was a snow day for the schools. These people are just the working adult populations trying to go home all at one time.

Took me 30+ minutes to get back from the store, which is usually about 5 minutes away. Lots of idiots out there.

Snow is POURING. Temp is now 23 at RDU, so it's nice and cold. We easily have 2", but I have no way of measuring. Changeover line is still down around Fayetteville. SPC mesoanalysis shows 850 temps are still below zero down that way and haven't budged. Looks like the GFS was right after all. NWS upped afternoon snow to 3-5" and another 1-3" tonight. Hopefully this means less ice.

Watch this radar to see the sleet line... Yellow/Green is the sleet/mix

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=GSP-N0C-1-12

I'm not sure how accurate that is John. Brad mentioned that it was showing sleet to our south but that it was actually very heavy snow in the video he posted before. That is the band he was stating if setup shop over us could really lay down. 

I'm not sure how accurate that is John. Brad mentioned that it was showing sleet to our south but that it was actually very heavy snow in the video he posted before. That is the band he was stating if setup shop over us could really lay down. 

That's good to know! :)

it was very accurate here this morning when it changed over to snow and after it changed back to sleet.

Just got home from work. Been snowing for almost 2 hours now. We have 2 and some change on the ground. Currently heavy snow with low visibility and all roads are snow paked. Saw 3 different vehicles off the road on the way home. If this keeps up till sunset we will have 6-8 easily in the bank. Hopefully the sleet will stay away.

Archived