joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2M temps look a little colder this run again...Good lord, maybe I just give and throw out a 33/34 and heavy rain?  LOL

Chris, KCHS reduced low temps to 30 locally here on Tuesday night with Ice Storm warnings now.  I think they're using a wedge scheme for temps which is several degrees lower than NAM/GFS temp guidance. 

snow totals look awful conservative considering all the models.  4-5 in the mtns.  gsp is conservative and just came out with 6-9 for the area.   and if the deformation band sets up over wnc for a couple of hours your looking at snow rates of 1-3 inches per hour.    :popcorn:

Agreed that it looks conservative. Here's a quote from the GSP afternoon disco:

EXPECT SNOW TOTALS FROM 2 TO 4 INCHES SOUTH OF I-85 TO 6

TO 10 INCHES ALONG AND NORTH. ICE ACCUMS OF A QUARTER INCH ARE

EXPECTED GENERALLY ALONG AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM TOCCOA TO ANDERSON

TO YORK AND MONROE. THAT SAID...AMOUNTS COULD END UP HIGHER...BUT DO

NOT WANT TO GO THAT HIGH YET.

Listen up everyone......keep this thread on topic. I'm tired of the one liners, imby posts and whining because your opinions differ from the nws. I will be issuing warnings/timeouts/suspensions   :angry:

that is I will be issuing them until my power goes   :(   :P    

That makes two of us.

Folks, READ before you ask a question too. Chances are your question has been not only answered but answered numerous times by numerous people. The fact that some are too lazy to take the time to read is annoying to everyone and we all are about tired of it.

Chris, KCHS reduced low temps to 30 locally here on Tuesday night with Ice Storm warnings now.  I think they're using a wedge scheme for temps which is several degrees lower than NAM/GFS temp guidance. 

Thanks Mike, thats what I am hedging my bets and forecast on.  Still have .25" ZR + for MCN   NAM and GFS and 4KM NAM area colder a little bit on 18z runs

what is he looking at to come up with that map? More snow in Greensboro than the mtns? The euro and its ensembles continue to paint 10-12 for the mtns. Not sure how he has a map like that.

Here is Brad's justification.  He's not walking lock-step with the models.  I respect his views and skills, but I hope he's wrong, on the low side.

TDZsX7c.png

2M temps look a little colder this run again...Good lord, maybe I just give and throw out a 33/34 and heavy rain?  LOL

:lol: I've given up hope for much of any frozen precip outside of the chance of a few wrap around flurries Wednesday night. I forecasted for the chief tonight and went 35-37 and heavy rain and breezy NE winds... Yay. Team. :axe:

what is he looking at to come up with that map? More snow in Greensboro than the mtns? The euro and its ensembles continue to paint 10-12 for the mtns. Not sure how he has a map like that.

He actually dropped totals from 4-8" in mtns to 4-5"...he's "not seeing high totals", his reasoning goes back to his argument for ratios...if ratios get close to 10:1 he's going to bust. He doesn't think so though because lots of sleet/ice in soundings still. All this is per his tweets btw. We'll see.

He actually dropped totals from 4-8" in mtns to 4-5"...he's "not seeing high totals", his reasoning goes back to his argument for ratios...if ratios get close to 10:1 he's going to bust. He doesn't think so though because lots of sleet/ice in soundings still. All this is per his tweets btw. We'll see.

but that's a problem there are no sleet or freezing rain soundings here in the mountains. if anything there's a greater chance of mixing in Greensboro

Here's one snapshot in time (at hour 57) of the snow depth off the 18Z GFS.  That lee side minimum is troubling.  I don't think it's realistic based off the most likely path of this storm, but I'd still not rather see that lull in precipitation amounts between the mountains and the rest of the piedmont show up on the modeling.

cj8lneK.gif

don't know GSP just updated they're maps and they give us 6-10 and said they may have update the snow to more later.  models are showing a deformation band over us wednesday that could put down 1-3 inches an hour for a couple of hours.   Don't know what he is looking at or not looking at.   

Here is Brad's justification.  He's not walking lock-step with the models.  I respect his views and skills, but I hope he's wrong, on the low side.

TDZsX7c.png

Yea but there have been plenty of other meteorologist who respectfully disagree. I'm erring on the side that I have lived in WNC my entire life and that I am taking my gut. We're getting slammed.

Archived