joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw the 21Z WSI RPM, and oh my. 4-6" of mostly sleet and snow thru Thursday (still snowing in the early AM!) for all of Atlanta, some ZR on the south side late AM tomorrow. I love that trend, because I love snow, and it lessens the chance of power disruptions IMBY. East of here towards AHN- my goodness. 12+" snow and sleet. Historic indeed!

Honestly, for Shelby, I'd bet more on double those amounts than less. 

I have to agree. If you experienced our discussions during the March '09 storm, you'll understand just how devastating a massive snowfall rate of heavy, wet snow can be.  Robert can tell you first hand.

I hope everyone is prepared!  I'm starting to have a few second thoughts about not having a generator right now.  :wacko:

Just saw the 21Z WSI RPM, and oh my. 4-6" of mostly sleet and snow thru Thursday (still snowing in the early AM!) for all of Atlanta, some ZR on the south side late AM tomorrow. I love that trend, because I love snow, and it lessens the chance of power disruptions IMBY. East of here towards AHN- my goodness. 12+" snow and sleet. Historic indeed!

New run really drives the ZR down here.  

I hope the RPM has the right idea, the sleet mixed with snow would be a lot more tolerable (less of a nightmare for ATL) than freezing rain mixed with snow and sleet.

Cman!  I like your map, and ordinarily I'd go with it, because of all the liquid totals being toss around...you never get that much moisture to freeze... I'm just not that lucky.... but if this is a good cad,  I mean a good cad, it could blow by you and be off waving before you can get turned around good, lol.  And anyway those folks down there will string you up in effigy if you don't throw them a bone :)  Best put in a chance of zr/ip for safety's sake, lol.

I'm going with .3 in rain, .5 in zr, .5/7 in ip/ and if the comma finds me at the end, .5/.7 in snow, lol.  And if mine doesn't work out, I'll go with yours, lol.  T

I dont mean this as an IMBY post at all of course...  A lot of people from SC/KCAE around these parts and since it looks like KCAE has been ground zero for major icing over 1inch+, is the RPM trying to show more sleet for that area now?  Or still a horrible ice?

It actually does keep the very worst barely south of you, but it still shows over .5 ice.

I dont mean this as an IMBY post at all of course...  A lot of people from SC/KCAE around these parts and since it looks like KCAE has been ground zero for major icing over 1inch+, is the RPM trying to show more sleet for that area now?  Or still a horrible ice?

It's showing sleet based on the maps. Thickness is close to ZR though. 

c94yPqz.gif

That's pretty awesome, hope it verifies.  I'm not one on here to question any of the outlets usually and I usually don't pay much attention to any of the local mets, but I just happened to glance at channel 11 and their map has the northern burbs in the 1-3 inch range along with .25 of ice accumulation through the end of the storm (unless that graphic was wrong of course).  That was it.  That seems incredibly low and almost irresponsible considering the model data and what others in our area are reporting.

BTW, I am trying to use Bufkit, I do love using ISU meteogram generator, but I love bufkit as well.  I go to save the gfs file (from the PSU bukit data page) and it gives me a can't find gfs3 file go into setup to add, but its already there...any help plzs

Copy the link from the url bar at the top of your browser when you click on the data you want.  Within the bufkit program if you click the tab in the right hand corner that says get data a black box will pop up.  Middle of the way down you will see the alphabet.  Just click on D which is blank, put your cursor in the box, and click the paste button at the top.  Then click on the "get data" button.  It should show up under your airport code when you refresh.  Hope that helps!

Just saw this on the 18z GFS when I recalculated. Latest run gives KAGS .55in total ZR as opposed to previous runs of near 2in. And KMCN just got a huge boost to 1.2in ZR.

...I'm sorry, Macon.

Just saw this on the 18z GFS when I recalculated. Latest run gives KAGS .55in total as opposed to previous runs of near 2in. And KMCN just got a huge boost to 1.2in.

Yeah guys.  I was just wondering what the RPM model (local WSI one) was doing since it seems it has been trying to save KCAE for a couple days now possibly with colder temps aloft.  Thanks for your responses!

Edit.  If someone from the Midlands could call into the radio show tonight (I hope you call Robert btw!) please do so.

I would call; but DT is still sour towards me currently.. lol

For anyone interested in using the bufkit application, you can download it from here: http://www.wdtb.noaa.gov/tools/bufkit/

At first; it is a bit annoying to set up if you're new.  They have instructional videos for it etc.

You can actually input direct URLS into the "bufget" application part of it to download new model data without having to manually get it all the time.

I just took a look at the Euro ensemble mean and it's definitely a tad east of the op, but not by much.  The low still veers inland a bit.  The control run was really amped up and further west than the op.

With that being said, the Euro is the NW outlier at this point, so it is probably logical to conclude that the expected storm track is east of the Euro, perhaps tracking up through the Pamlico Sound or somewhere around there.  We'll see.  Small differences in the track will mean a lot with this one.  I'm still paranoid about the pingers, though.

Archived