amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks man. It's going to take some work to get the warm nose far enough away from us. I'm hoping we can just lose enough over the next couple of cycles to keep the ZR out, like you said.

You can see the trend here. The NAM is trying, at least.

This is during the 12z 1/12 to 12z 1/13 time period at KRDU

ZBJuVHf.png

I have been on the line between all snow and snow/sleet/ for days now.   Finally, the 00z NAM and GFS both keep Clemson, SC at or below freezing at all layers for the entire event.  Just 15 miles to the south, Anderson, SC has a substantial period of sleet.  

If you take the model consensus, I-85 is the perfect dividing line between all snow and snow/sleet mix.  I’ve lived long enough to know  you can’t bank on model output for soundings even 24 hours before the event starts, but I just can’t help to think maybe Pickens county will finally catch it’s white whale!

I'm all in for rain or snow.  Heck, even sleet.  That freezing rain stuff can stay away.  Lucky to have lived in Greensboro during the amazing January 1987 snow and in Raleigh for the more amazing 2002 and the even more epic 2000 snows.  This one feels big as well, almost like the lead-up to the 2000 storm with a significant overrun for all of southern NC (including one foot in CLT) the day before and nothing great expected for RDU -- just an inch or so and then switching over to ice "any moment now."  It never did.  I remember watching Greg on WRAL in just absolute disbelief at what was happening and the NWS forecast accumulations were always behind what had already happened.  Just amazing, with nearly 20" here at the house.  As it was pre-digital for me I don't have pictures on hand but I really should scan a few.

Here's a pic from the 2002 snow in RDU.

wow, gfs much colder.  frz rain to the coast here in the lowcountry.  nam was colder too and very close.  

The NAM had a SFC temp of 32 on WED at 09z at KCHS with moderate rain falling basically the battle lines are drawn right across there.  I'll need to get some datasets from meteostar when it updates, but the guidance is starting to "realize" the shallow arctic air at the SFC and it's punch. 

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAMSFC/NAM_kchs.txt

The 00Z GFS run definitely seems east with the comma head deformation band.  It really sets up oriented N/S over KCLT and then moves east.  The foothills and mountains would seem to miss out on this band, IF the GFS is right.  I'm still holding out that the Euro/CMC/NAM will have the right solution.  But, there's no way I'm staying up for the Euro tonight.

Edit:  It's not that the foothills and mountains don't get snow, it's just that they don't get as much as has seemed possible.

ya that looks like 20-25mm and that would be.....  .78-.98" QPF of ZR...holy shiz

Totals are about the same here (1.75 with 2 inches within spitting dinstance)..but over 3.5 inches over central georgia and unfortunately just south of augusta...as if it can get any worse there already.

Maaaaan... that run earlier made me a little more optimistic, but if KCAE is right about the wedge... we're gonna get whooped. I trust you saw the forecast discussion from them I posted earlier, they're similarly pessimistic, outright predicting .5-1" ZR and saying if the QPF is realized... it could be even higher.

Lookout, ain't that the truth. This could paralyze the whole Augusta metro and the fort. The mets better get on board tomorrow... the forecast was calling for a bust until literally 5 minutes ago, now they're starting to waffle: http://www.nbc26.tv/story/24687108/more-wintry-weather-possible-in-georgia-carolina

I must say, I have starting see some model trends, hell even the crappy run of the nam did it, of shifting the heaviest ZR band south of AHN and now its just north of MCN to AGS.  Will be interesting to see if the models continue to cool

One graphic I saw had the wedge almost to SE Alabama on the GFS. That sucker means serious business.

The NAM had a SFC temp of 32 on WED at 09z at KCHS with moderate rain falling basically the battle lines are drawn right across there.  I'll need to get some datasets from meteostar when it updates, but the guidance is starting to "realize" the shallow arctic air at the SFC and it's punch. 

http://68.226.77.253/text/NAMSFC/NAM_kchs.txt

yep, you were right about the models underestimating the strength of the wedge/cold and it seems they are playing catchup.  just out to tomorrow morning the hrrr seems colder than the nam/gfs up near kflo where it is showing moderate snow tom morning thru 11am.

The 00Z GFS run definitely seems east with the comma head deformation band.  It really sets up oriented N/S over KCLT and then moves east.  The foothills and mountains would seem to miss out on this band, IF the GFS is right.  I'm still holding out that the Euro/CMC/NAM will have the right solution.  But, there's no way I'm staying up for the Euro tonight.

Edit:  It's not that the foothills and mountains don't get snow, it's just that they don't get as much as has seemed possible.

Something about the thermal profiles on the GFS is flawed...

Check out the profile for KMRN @ 60 and then @ 66 and tell me what's wrong? Also scroll down and look at some of the convective indices?

@60:  http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbsnd.cgi?id=KMRN&mo=gfs_avn_us&pl=out4&ft=h60&cu=latest&pt=parcel&size=640x480

@66: http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbsnd.cgi?id=KMRN&mo=gfs_avn_us&pl=out4&ft=h66&cu=latest&pt=parcel&size=640x480

FWIW, the last couple GFS runs have shown subtle hints at thunderstorm potential around 0z Thursday.

Archived