NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC
902 PM EST MON FEB 10 2014

.SYNOPSIS...
CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE CENTERED TO OUR NORTH WILL
DIRECT COLD AIR INTO CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA AND THE CENTRAL
SAVANNAH RIVER AREA OF GEORGIA. LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING IN THE
GULF OF MEXICO WILL PUSH MOISTURE NORTHWARD. THE LOW WILL TRACK
NORTHEASTWARD AND BE NEAR THE CAROLINA COAST WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THIS
WEATHER PATTERN WILL BRING WINTER-TYPE PRECIPITATION TO OUR AREA.
DANGEROUS ICE ACCUMULATIONS MAY OCCUR.

&&

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM TUESDAY MORNING/...
COLD AIR DAMMING DEVELOPING ACROSS THE AREA AS SURFACE RIDGE OVER
THE MID ATLANTIC BUILDS SOUTHWEST. TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO THE
LOW TO MID 30S ACROSS NORTH CAROLINA AND NORTHERN SOUTH CAROLINA.
THIS TREND WILL CONTINUE OVERNIGHT. WEAK SHORT WAVE TROUGH MOVING
ACROSS NORTHERN SOUTH CAROLINA TRIGGERING SOME LIGHT RAIN/DRIZZLE.
RADAR NOW SHOWING RAIN DEVELOPING IN CENTRAL GEORGIA MOVING TOWARD
CSRA...ASSOCIATED WITH DEVELOPING ISENTROPIC LIFT/WEAK SURFACE LOW
OVER SOUTHERN GEORGIA. THIS PRECIPITATION WILL MOVE INTO THE AREA
MAINLY AFTER MIDNIGHT. MODEL SOUNDING SUGGEST A MIX OF RAIN/SLEET
AND SNOW POSSIBLE MAINLY ACROSS NORTHERN AND CENTRAL MIDLANDS
TOWARD DAYBREAK. NO ACCUMULATION EXPECTED...TEMPERATURES EXPECTED
TO REMAIN ABOVE FREEZING. RAISED POPS AFTER MIDNIGHT.

&&

.SHORT TERM /6 AM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY/...

...UPDATED ICING FORECAST...0.5 TO 1 INCH IN CENTRAL MIDLANDS/CSRA.
...SNOW AMOUNTS SLIGHTLY HIGHER...

ISENTROPIC LIFT OVER THE WEDGE RIDGE WILL OCCUR TUESDAY. THERE
SHOULD BE ENOUGH MOISTURE AND LIFT FOR PRECIPITATION. THE NAM AND
GFS TIME-HEIGHT DISPLAYS SUPPORT MAINLY SNOW IN THE EXTREME
NORTH...A MIX OF SLEET AND RAIN IN THE CENTRAL PART...AND RAIN
WITH A LITTLE SLEET POSSIBLE IN THE SOUTH PART TUESDAY. THE LIFT
APPEARS WEAK SO WE EXPECT ANY SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION WILL BE
LIGHT. HOWEVER...THERE MAY BE ENOUGH ACCUMULATION FOR TRAVEL
PROBLEM IN THE NORTH AND WEST SECTIONS AND WE HAVE POSTED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY.

THE MORE SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR TUESDAY NIGHT AND
ESPECIALLY WEDNESDAY. THE GFS AND NAM ARE CONSISTENT SHOWING
STRONG ISENTROPIC LIFT AND DEEP MOISTURE. THE GFS AND NAM MODEL
TIME-HEIGHT DISPLAYS ARE CLOSE AND SUPPORT WINTRY PRECIPITATION.
THE MAIN PROBLEM WILL LIKELY BE FREEZING RAIN. DANGEROUS ICE
ACCUMULATIONS WILL LIKELY OCCUR. WE USED AN AVERAGE OF THE GFS AND
NAM QPF.

AVERAGE MODEL QPF CONTINUES TO BE ABOVE 1.00 INCH WHICH IS A
CONCERN...SO RAISED ICING FORECAST TO 0.5 TO 1.00 INCH ICING
ACROSS CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA/CSRA. THERE IS A POSSIBLY OF EVEN
GREATER ICE AMOUNTS IF QPF IS REALIZED. GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS
WEDNESDAY MAY ADD TO THE PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ICE
ACCUMULATION.

THE PRECIPITATION WILL LIKELY END FROM SOUTHWEST TO NORTHEAST
THURSDAY AS THE LOW SHIFTS NORTHEASTWARD AND FARTHER AWAY.

WE USED A LOCAL WEDGE SCHEME FOR THE TEMPERATURE GUIDANCE
WEDNESDAY WHICH WAS COLDER THAN THE GFS AND NAM MOS.

Ho hum, just another 10-inch, all snow event modeled by the NAM for Shelby.

The slightly later phase did keep the mid level warmth a hair farther away from us while maintaining 1"+ QPF.  Overall it's a consistent run with no major flips.

The 850 low track looks sick for the western Piedmont, IMO. Thoughts on that? You want to be on the NW side of that and it appears to track from around Rockingham up towards Raleigh.

Are you saying the low is tracking over that Rockingham to Raleigh corridor, or is the good snowfall setting up from that corridor and west?

Based on the 850mb / 700mb low tracks, 500mb vort max track, deform band setup, and upslope flow, I continue to see the following as jackpot areas in NC for snow even though the QPF may not max out there: central/northern mountains and central/northern foothills, including: Asheville, Morganton, Hickory, Mt. Airy, Boone

Seems consist from your thoughts during the 18Z runs today. However, the folks in the southern foothills look to cash in also.. 

Based on the 850mb / 700mb low tracks, 500mb vort max track, deform band setup, and upslope flow, I continue to see the following as jackpot areas in NC for snow even though the QPF may not max out there: central/northern mountains and central/northern foothills, including: Asheville, Morganton, Hickory, Mt. Airy, Boone

NAM (and most models) just doesn't want to bring that 0c line through macon...hahah  they bring it just to my E and NE and stop at 33 degrees

This wedge means business here. The nam has it going from 36 degrees at hour 30, to 31 degrees just 3 hours later. Considering conditions are already saturated that is impressive to say the least. End up bottoming out at around 26 or 27.

The nam is frustrating because every single run it goes back and forth on the depth and magnitude of the warm nose here. the 18z run it was very narrow while the 0z run it's a good bit more pronounced and deeper. Meaning the difference between a snow/sleet mix to possibly as far as freezing rain. It's been going back and forth with each run like this and it's hard to trust it. Totals are about the same here (1.75 with 2 inches within spitting dinstance)..but over 3.5 inches over central georgia and unfortunately just south of augusta...as if it can get any worse there already.

I think this may actually be better for our area. Looks like a little more front end snow for us and then the 850s stay closer hopefully keeping most of the precip sleet.

The NAM has been really trying to cut down on the warm nose and trend colder aloft.

KRDU 825-925(or so)mb / max degrees C

0z yesterday - 7+

06z - 7 (but bubble squashed)

12z - 3

18z - 4

0z - ?

If we can just trend to a column of 0 or lower throughout the event I'd be happy, ha. I'd even take 1-2 C as long as it's shallow and doesn't last long. :snowing:

This wedge means business here. The nam has it going from 36 degrees at hour 30, to 31 degrees just 3 hours later. Considering conditions are already saturated that is impressive to say the least. End up bottoming out at around 26 or 27.

The nam is frustrating because every single run it goes back and forth on the depth and magnitude of the warm nose here. the 18z run it was very narrow while the 0z run it's a good bit more pronounced and deeper. Meaning the difference between a snow/sleet mix to possibly as far as freezing rain. It's been going back and forth with each run like this and it's hard to trust it. Totals are about the same here (1.75)..but over 3.5 inches over central georgia and unfortunately just south of augusta...as if it can get any worse there already.

Ya, its super frustrating...Even the 4KM NAM gets literally to Bibb county and backs up (but I can't figure out why)  There should not be a reason to kill the 2m fresh NE flow.  My gut still tells me we get down to like 30-32, but maybe not....

The NAM has been really trying to cut down on the warm nose and trend colder aloft.

KRDU 825-925(or so)mb / max degrees C

0z yesterday - 7+

06z - 7 (but bubble squashed)

12z - 3

18z - 4

0z - ?

If we can just trend to a column of 0 or lower throughout the event I'd be happy, ha. I'd even take 1-2 C as long as it's shallow and doesn't last long. :snowing:

Aren't you farther south than me? We're probably in the +5/+6 range for our area, according to the graphic WeatherNC posted in banter. What's the general temp in that layer that would mean IP vs ZR?

Aren't you farther south than me? We're probably in the +5/+6 range for our area, according to the graphic WeatherNC posted in banter. What's the general temp in that layer that would mean IP vs ZR?

Yeah I'm in Harnett but I pull as if I'm at RDU, that's where my heart is.

I just want to destroy the warm nose, so ZR is out of the question at least. If it's very shallow nose, it's IP. If it doesn't exist, it's snow. Anything below 4 degrees I'd say is a good start at seeing IP...has to be shallow too aka only spanning 50-100mb would be my guess, maybe not even that. Deep warm air aloft but less than say 2 degrees but more than 0, spanning 200mb or so, would be freezing drizzle. That's how I understand it, roughly, but I'm no x'pert.

The nam is frustrating because every single run it goes back and forth on the depth and magnitude of the warm nose here. the 18z run it was very narrow while the 0z run it's a good bit more pronounced and deeper. Meaning the difference between a snow/sleet mix to possibly as far as freezing rain. It's been going back and forth with each run like this and it's hard to trust it. Totals are about the same here (1.75 with 2 inches within spitting dinstance)..but over 3.5 inches over central georgia and unfortunately just south of augusta...as if it can get any worse there already.

ya, I just know about this wedge...hahah  Check this out.  valid 12z WED

post-601-0-48629400-1392089105_thumb.png

Wow....one CLT met said 3 maybe 4" in Charlotte. Huh??

Where are people getting info with 10" totals for Charlotte?

Everyone is just making it up because we here at eastern think it's cool to allow posters, including other mets, to post false proclamations of expected snow totals.

In case you didn't know, that's called sarcasm. Good grief. Take the time to READ and you will see why. Why is it so hard for some to use a little common sense instead of having to have it spelled out to them 100 times?

And yes I'm being snappy about this because it's getting old having to delete 500 posts like these and that's only part of them.

Yeah I'm in Harnett but I pull as if I'm at RDU, that's where my heart is.

I just want to destroy the warm nose, so ZR is out of the question at least. If it's very shallow nose, it's IP. If it doesn't exist, it's snow. Anything below 4 degrees I'd say is a good start at seeing IP...has to be shallow too aka only spanning 50-100mb would be my guess, maybe not even that. Deep warm air aloft but less than say 2 degrees but more than 0, spanning 200mb or so, would be freezing drizzle. That's how I understand it, roughly, but I'm no x'pert.

Thanks man. It's going to take some work to get the warm nose far enough away from us. I'm hoping we can just lose enough over the next couple of cycles to keep the ZR out, like you said.

Archived