• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

Thanks for the answer. During hurricane Frances, the SE fetch was incredible.. over 16 inches of rain here. Im also a little worried about downsloping here after the wind turns to a more northerly trajectory... new GFS seems to hint at this

Are you worried about downsloping for WNC? If so, I'd be more concerned about that if the system had to traverse the Smokies but not with this one coming out of the south.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you worried about downsloping for WNC? If so, I'd be more concerned about that if the system had to traverse the Smokies but not with this one coming out of the south.

Often times as the comma head and deformation band begins to set up and the wind direction turns more northerly, downsloping winds from the Blue ridge will often hurt rates or shut them off completely here. But its almost impossible to know where that band will set up

Lookout or someone from the GA group tell us what the GFS is doing with us.  I am no good with models and I have seen very little to tell us how these eastward shifts effect us. 

The 00z GFS paints a decent snow/ sleetstorm from I-20 northward.....with general 2-6" snowfall, except 6" or more in the northeast GA mountains.  Taken verbatim the 00z NAM and GFS (discounting the NAM warm bias), it looks like areas along and south of I-20 will likely experience a very serious ice storm.....places such as Newnan, Griffin, Barnesville, Lake Jackson, south metro Atlanta, then south towards Macon and Milledgeville and east to Augusta and the Savannah river valley.

0z canadian is still showing some amazing totals. Also is a bit heavier with the snow over north ga, western north carolina and the upstate. With the freezing rain area at just sick levels indeed.

Overall total followed by snow/sleet/frz. this will make delta happy lol

PR_000-120_0000.gif

SN_000-120_0000.gif

PE_000-120_0000.gifZR_000-120_0000.gif

Often times as the comma head and deformation band begins to set up and the wind direction turns more northerly, downsloping winds from the Blue ridge will often hurt rates or shut them off completely here. But its almost impossible to know where that band will set up

I just realized you were in Marion. My apologies and you are correct.

WLTX in CAE just updated their ice totals to 1" + rather than .5 - 1" appears they are deciding to following the models showing in excess of 1.25. Real concern is the constant gusts of up to 20 mph over weds and thurs. Has the capacity to completely break SC. 

Thanks for you reply much appreciated.  I was not sure with the last GFS and NAM if things had changed much for us.  It appears to be about the same so we will wait and see what happens in the next 24 to 48 hours.  Concerning grow with more ice in our direction than snow and sleet.  Gee, Lookout that leaves me speechless.

Lookout, that's close to 2in. of ZR in East-Central GA and the Midlands.. even trying to get to Florence.

Yep and taken literally, at the heart of it there is probably about 2.25 to maybe 2.50 or so. I hope folks along that axis is prepared for whats coming..or that they have been informed enough about how bad it could be. I'm guessing even if local mets are calling for extreme totals (which columbia is not joking around with a one inch ice forecast) that folks don't realize how bad that really is. Not to mention if you throw in 20 or 30mph winds.

Even if the canadian is overdone, there is plenty of modeling showing extreme freezing rain accumulations..of which that many have never seen before. So regardless of whether you buy the heaviest model or not, it's pretty much all the same.

It's pretty terrifying, SC and below does not trim their trees to the same respect as NC and above. I am getting ready for at least a 3 day power outage in my mind. 

Yep and taken literally, at the heart of it there is probably about 2.25 to maybe 2.50 or so. I hope folks along that axis is prepared for whats coming..or that they have been informed enough about how bad it could be. I'm guessing even if local mets are calling for extreme totals (which columbia is not joking around with a one inch ice forecast) that folks don't realize how bad that really is. Not to mention if you throw in 20 or 30mph winds.

Even if the canadian is overdone, there is plenty of modeling showing extreme freezing rain accumulations..of which that many have never seen before. So regardless of whether you buy the heaviest model or not, it's pretty much all the same.

WLTX in CAE just updated their ice totals to 1" + rather than .5 - 1" appears they are deciding to following the models showing in excess of 1.25. Real concern is the constant gusts of up to 20 mph over weds and thurs. Has the capacity to completely break SC. 

Winds are around 20.  Gusts are 30+ good sir.

I'm going to be very unsmart.. and as long as I don't have a powerline on the ground close to me; I'm going to video the views and sounds of some of the ice breaking everything down.  If I can do it halfway safely.  Huge pecan tree right over my house.

The model guidance depictions are absolutely mind-boggling and the consensus is undeniable.  the axis of that ZR will cause devastation potentially as bad as Hurricane Hugo or even worse.  Literally, this is a real state of emergency in the making.  

Wow, 850s never get above -1C for GSO, CLT and CRASH down towards -4C shortly after.  I'm all-in for a ton of snow now.  The Euro is great.

The surface low tracks from Waycross, GA (LOL) to Myrtle Beach to Elizabeth City.  It is still more west than other modeling, but it's a lot colder than past runs.

Can't wait to see the snow total map. The eps will be interesting too.

The model guidance depictions are absolutely mind-boggling and the consensus is undeniable.  the axis of that ZR will cause devastation potentially as bad as Hurricane Hugo or even worse.  Literally, this is a real state of emergency in the making.  

Nikki Haley declared a state of emergency for SC for the last event and it really didn't need it.  Not quite sure if she has yet for now... we definitely need the National Guard on standby for SC.  Thankfully many of us are smarter and hit the grocery stores early and all that.  I stocked up a ton on kerosene.

I really feel for the elderly and sick.  I hope they are forced into shelters if they can't take care of themselves.

Mike, if this happens (as extreme as some models say) for some of SC; this will literally kill people.

How about Goose Creek Sc ?  I have a meeting to attend. Will I run into ice issues?

Prepare now.  Guidance came in colder still, and the NAM/GFS have 32 and 31 respectively at around 6 am WED morning.  GFS has that 31 with .37" QPF at KCHS.  in fact, Shawn posted a WxBell map earlier of the P-Types and amounts.  pretty much across Dorchester and Berkeley counties, heavy accretions up to .5".   in fact, the NW corner of Dorchester County had a blip of .75"-1" of ICE!

some qpf totals please! good sir!

1.4" for GSO, 1.2" out your way, 1.3" for CLT, 1.2" for HKY...

DC gets 2.5"ish QPF.

It actually seems to line up quite well with the UKMET, at first glance.

EDIT: 1.2" for Bristol, TN, too.  Basically, if you're west of a line from maybe Burlington or Gibsonville down towards Charlotte, you've got 1"+ QPF of all-snow.

EDIT #2: Check that.  Burlington flips to sleet for a short period of time.

She will declare in between 10-2 tomorrow.  I can assure you. 

Nikki Haley declared a state of emergency for SC for the last event and it really didn't need it.  Not quite sure if she has yet for now... we definitely need the National Guard on standby for SC.  Thankfully many of us are smarter and hit the grocery stores early and all that.  I stocked up a ton on kerosene.

I really feel for the elderly and sick.  I hope they are forced into shelters if they can't take care of themselves.

Mike, if this happens (as extreme as some models say) for some of SC; this will literally kill people.

Archived