• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

Can anyone comment on the euro ensemble mean? How does the track compare to the operational which ticked east last night?

I'm noticing that the higher resolution (rgem, nam4k, etc...) models are coming in with a more of a mixing issue in areas where the lower resolution models are showing snow. Am I correct in assuming that the higher resolution would make them better in picking up on warm layers in the column?

Euro ENS looked pretty lockstep with the Euro to me. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of us in the northwest metro seem to be in the dividing line for everything. My gut tells me this will be mostly sleet since we never seem to get much snow from wedges. I have my chainsaw sharp, plenty of gas, and a bathtub ready to be filled with water if the freezing rain comes in. Hopefully Cheeze is right and this ends up being sledding time instead of no power time. It's 32 and snowing at a moderate clip now but mostly slush.

Just have a minute before judging a spelling bee here (the word for today is S-L-E-E-T-EIEIO ... Dagnabit!) To my bleary eye, looking like the Euro nudged a bit colder, but similar track, NAM inched to the west and GFS to the East with their respective SLPs. One of those two will be proven wrong by HRRR & Co. 

Gonna be a long day. Here's hoping the folks in my NOTW see plenty of Round 1 snow ... 'cause it looks ugly hereafter.

I need to read the GSP update discussion to check on what blend they are going with during the overnight update. 

On you edit below, I assume west of Shelby is all snow ?

It literally only looks good for AVL west. No thanks. 

Edit: Look at maps on the AmWx models looks like for Shelby to CLT it's about 6-8 inches of snow and 2 inches of sleet. Anyone west of GSO gets around 4 inches of snow and has major mixing issues according to the RGEM. 

Quick recap of the last model runs for Greensboro.  

6z GFS - 12.7" all snow

6z NAM - 6.8" snow, .57" sleet, .19" freezing rain

0z Euro - 14" all snow

03 SREF - 9.87" mean snowfall (I'm sure that some of the ensemble members have mixing but can't determine using plumes)

You can see what the mixing will do for your totals.  Also, I believe that most of the models are coming in with around 1.25" of precip.  If you stay are all snow, you could easily be looking at 10-12" based on the qpf.

I'm guessing that most areas east of the mountains will at least turn to sleet for a couple of hours before turning back to snow and getting a few more inches of great deformation band snow at the end.  

Quick recap of the last model runs for Greensboro.  

6z GFS - 12.7" all snow

6z NAM - 6.8" snow, .57" sleet, .19" freezing rain

0z Euro - 14" all snow

03 SREF - 9.87" mean snowfall (I'm sure that some of the ensemble members have mixing but can't determine using plumes)

You can see what the mixing will do for your totals.  Also, I believe that most of the models are coming in with around 1.25" of precip.  If you stay are all snow, you could easily be looking at 10-12" based on the qpf.

I'm guessing that most areas east of the mountains will at least turn to sleet for a couple of hours before turning back to snow and getting a few more inches of great deformation band snow at the end.  

I'll stick with the GFS lol

6z GFS - 12.7" all snow  :sled: 

Great disco overnight folks... I see wsw are going up and the euro held it course.

Should be a fun day at work for everyone as you try to track:)

GSP has cut into the totals around:

STSStormTotalSnow.png

wander why gsp thinks less snow .  most models are still showing anywhere from  8-12 for wnc

wander why gsp thinks less snow .  most models are still showing anywhere from  8-12 for wnc

i think they may have just adjusted it...they increased totals for the ne ga area...so far this morning is overperforming here from what i expected.  hope this continues through the rest of this event, cos if it does the se is going to be getting one heck of a winter storm

Some CAE meteorologists are still calling for a half inch of zl. Confusing as I can't find a model that is saying what they are.

Mets here calling for .25 to .5 generally with the addition of "maybe more."  GFS is showing 2.44" of zr for KFLO.  NAM is showing 1.09.  So they're all going conservative.  History suggests going conservative is not a bad idea.

Seems like the trends over the past couple of days have been to come in a little warmer aloft during the nightly model runs then push east a bit during the daytime runs. I believe that is right anyway. We are getting within the 24-36 hour window before the main show starts so it's about time to start looking and the short range models and see how they are lining up compared to what the bigger models showed at the early stages. THat should give us an idea of where the battle lines will setup tomorrow.

For us in the CLT area just a slight jog east would put his in the zone that typically gets the best rates as usually you want to be just west of the sleet zone to jackpot. Either way good luck folks stay safe!

Indeed   ;)

It seems the 06 gfs gives CAE 2.76" of zr and the 06 nam says 1.77" of zr.......wow   :(      

ugh i cant imagine that much ice.  i only know of a few storms that have produced that much ice (US and Canada) - i would hope that maybe if its coming down at a heavy rate that should help inhibit at least some of that from accumulating. 

it seems like we are getting a decent snow pack today for the wedge - at least n ga through the upstate so i would think the wedge will be a stout one.  decent ne winds here already this morning

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/2014/md0081.html

mcd0081.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0081
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
0720 AM CST TUE FEB 11 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF NERN MS...NRN AL...NRN GA...NWRN
SC...SWRN NC

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 111320Z - 111815Z

SUMMARY...FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE
EASTERN HALF OF THE DISCUSSION AREA THROUGH 18Z WHILE GRADUALLY
DIMINISHING...AT LEAST IN THE SHORT TERM...ACROSS WESTERN PORTIONS
TOWARDS 18Z.

DISCUSSION...WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION CONTINUES AT 13Z ACROSS MUCH
OF THE SERN U.S. TO THE NORTH OF A FRONTAL BOUNDARY DRAPED ACROSS
THE N-CENTRAL/NERN GULF OF MEXICO. A WEAK SHORTWAVE OVER THE LOWER
MS VALLEY EMBEDDED WITHIN THE LARGELY ZONAL FLOW CONTINUES TO
SUPPORT THE EXPANSIVE PRECIPITATION AREA. THE NRN PERIPHERY OF THIS
AREA OF PRECIPITATION IS OCCURRING WITHIN NEAR- OR BELOW-FREEZING
WET-BULB TEMPERATURES...AND WHERE AN EAST-WEST AXIS OF 800-700 MB
FRONTOGENETIC FORCING HAS LED TO HEAVIER BANDED PRECIPITATION.
OBSERVED AND FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUPPORT A CONTINUED MIX OF FREEZING
RAIN /RATES OF 0.05 INCHES/3 HRS/ AND SLEET ACROSS SRN PORTIONS OF
THE DISCUSSION AREA WITH MOSTLY SNOW ACROSS NRN PORTIONS. SNOWFALL
RATES OF ONE INCH/HR WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH THE HEAVIER MESOSCALE
BANDING...PRIMARILY ACROSS NRN PORTIONS OF AL/GA...NWRN SC AND FAR
SWRN NC.

WRN PORTIONS OF DISCUSSION AREA SHOULD SEE DIMINISHED PRECIP RATES
AT LEAST IN THE SHORT TERM IN THE 15Z-18Z TIME FRAME.

..BUNTING.. 02/11/2014

It's not often I see CAE use this strong of wording......

.SHORT TERM /7 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY/...
THE MORE SIGNIFICANT PRECIPITATION WILL OCCUR TONIGHT AND
ESPECIALLY WEDNESDAY. THE GFS AND NAM ARE CONSISTENT SHOWING
STRONG ISENTROPIC LIFT AND DEEP MOISTURE. THE GFS AND NAM MODEL
TIME-HEIGHT DISPLAYS ARE CLOSE AND SUPPORT WINTRY PRECIPITATION.
THE MAIN PROBLEM WILL LIKELY BE FREEZING RAIN. DANGEROUS ICE
ACCUMULATIONS WILL LIKELY OCCUR. HAVE TRIED TO STAY CLOSE TO WPC
QPF THROUGH THE PERIOD WHICH IS SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS
FORECAST.

AVERAGE MODEL QPF CONTINUES TO BE ABOVE 1.00 INCH WHICH IS A
CONCERN...SO HAVE RAISED ICING FORECAST TO 0.5 TO 1.00 INCH ICING
ACROSS CENTRAL SOUTH CAROLINA/CSRA. THERE IS A POSSIBLY OF EVEN
GREATER ICE AMOUNTS IF QPF IS REALIZED. GUSTY NORTHEAST WINDS
WEDNESDAY MAY ADD TO THE PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ICE
ACCUMULATION
. THE ACCUMULATION OF ICE ON TREES...LIMBS AND
POWER LINES COMBINED WITH NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH HIGHER