• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

Something about the thermal fields on the NAM just aren't right...IMO Heck we are busting by 3 degrees already

Ha. The funny thing is we're right on track, maybe a degree warmer over here in Columbus. The thing I'm noticing is the break in the rain back west. Not sure if the CAD is able to build in inbetween this rain and the impending rain, but it's something that could allow us to cool off a bit more than modeled.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SREF Plumes are out.  Significantly lower snowfall mean for Greensboro. Went from 10 inches down to 7 probably due to mixing.  The probability of sleet and freezing rain have increased although the probability for snow remains higher.  Many of the members have almost no snow accumulations.  Not a good sign, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20140211&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=GSO&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=7&mLAT=34.772925208051774&mLON=-80.431324609375&mTYP=roadmap

There is a similar issue with the data for KHKY.  Take a look at the Ptype-POP tab and compare from 03Z to the most recent 09Z.  I think that you are right on with the mixing idea.  You can see that the snow probabilities have slightly ticked down and the ice probabilities have ticked up.

Not liking the trend in the NAM for here, upper trough not digging as much, so not much if any snow tonight. Hope the GFS and Euro hold serve with more precip and a deeper trough. RPM also has trended poorly, now no more than 4" for anywhere in GA, less than before also in the Carolinas

With that wedge, I have to believe the mixing issues will be tempered, at least to some degree. I would not be surprised if GSP adjusts their totals to look more like they did last night (granted, they only decreased a little this morning).

GSP actually increased their totals for the Upstate area with the 7:28am package. Anderson was at 4.1 inches. Now they are at 7.9 inches:

STSStormTotalSnow.png

Ha. The funny thing is we're right on track, maybe a degree warmer over here in Columbus. The thing I'm noticing is the break in the rain back west. Not sure if the CAD is able to build in inbetween this rain and the impending rain, but it's something that could allow us to cool off a bit more than modeled.

Very true...problem I have with the NAM is its an outlier a bit vs the other models at 2m.  This wedge means business, and I CANT for the life of me seeing the 0c 2m line stopping, E and NE of me. So, either its gonna keep showing 33/34 and all rain here or its gonna bust at 30-32.  

Not liking the trend in the NAM for here, upper trough not digging as much, so not much if any snow tonight. Hope the GFS and Euro hold serve with more precip and a deeper trough. RPM also has trended poorly, now no more than 4" for anywhere in GA, less than before also in the Carolinas

To be honest, the NAM has done poorly so far anyway.  Its out on its own on just about every measure it appears.  

I don't use these terms much but here it is. The NAM looks catastrophic for parts of metro atlanta. If there isn't sleet mixed in this will be horrible.

Based on 850's of model consensus of +1 to +3 C, I'm sticking with my prediction of mainly IP and not mainly ZR for much of Atlanta for 2nd wave, especially city north but even at least some IP down to Tony. Based on numerous old weather maps when there's plentiful precip./wedging, sig. ZR rare if 850's +2.5 C or colder. So, I''m thinking mainly IP and no ZR disaster city north but probably some ZR mixed in at times. I feel pretty confident that you in Marietta will get mainly IP and not ZR for the 2nd wave. Going to be very interesting to watch! Regardless, just in case, I did buy extra battery backup and a car charger for my cell phone yesterday. Better safe than sorry.

Based on 850's of model consensus of +1 to +3 C, I'm sticking with my prediction of mainly IP and not mainly ZR for much of Atlanta for 2nd wave, especially city north but even at least some IP down to Tony. Based on numerous old weather maps when there's plentiful precip./wedging, sig. ZR rare if 850's in +2.5 C or colder. So, I''m thinking mainly IP and no ZR disaster city north but probably some ZR mixed in at times. I feel pretty confident that you in Marietta will get mainly IP and not ZR for the 2nd wave. Going to be very interesting to watch! Regardless, just in case, I did buy extra battery backup and a car charger for my cell phone yesterday. Better safe than sorry.

Good to see you Larry!  NAM drives down the 0c line at 2m and stops it E and NE of me and for the life of me I can't figure out why.  We have a very healthy dose of NE winds at 2m, our 850's are progged at like 4-5c (5 at most)....All other models are colder for sure.  RGEM lays the hammer down around here big time.. Any reason why it would just stop that progression?

NAM shifted everything west and north.

10081_782506285112762_1750680878_n.jpg

Brick try the below link. I would guess what you are showing is actual snow (no ice) where the one below shows everything grouped together. Notice the one I provided actually shifts things eastward depicting the colder surface temps.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=NAM&grid=221&model_yyyy=2014&model_mm=02&model_dd=11&model_init_hh=12&fhour=48&parameter=SNOWIN&level=SURFACE&unit=none&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

I didn't pay much attention to the NAM when it was showing 2' for my area, so why should I now?

Best response I've seen in this thread since Saturday regarding the NAM!

Based on looping water vapor and looking at the initialization of the NAM 500mb vorticity fields, it looks off to me.  Southern vort is too far northeast, and our main player is still in the Canadian Provinces - an area where the NAM has notoriously done poor in.  As with most runs of the NAM this winter, I think it can be safely disregarded.

The 6Z GFS had a much better handle on the positions of the vorticity maximums this morning.  So its 12Z run should be very good.

Good to see you Larry!  NAM drives down the 0c line at 2m and stops it E and NE of me and for the life of me I can't figure out why.  We have a very healthy dose of NE winds at 2m, our 850's are progged at like 4-5c (5 at most)....All other models are colder for sure.  RGEM lays the hammer down around here big time.. Any reason why it would just stop that progression?

The only thing I can come up with: it is the unreliable and inconsistent NAM lol. How are you running temperaturewise vs. recent NAM runs?

The low is tracking off shore, there's very well established deep CAD sig... it's not switching over to sleet all the way back into Hickory.  Climo for this track says the sleet stays S and E of 85.  Euro looks perfect wrt to temp profiles.

The only thing I can come up with: it is the unreliable and inconsistent NAM lol. How are you running temperaturewise vs. recent NAM runs?

LOL the first half of that is right for sure!!  yes, I compare them from the previous runs.  6z run raw output did have us at 32 and heavy rain in the ptype

The low is tracking off shore, there's very well established deep CAD sig... it's not switching over to sleet all the way back into Hickory.  Climo for this track says the sleet stays S and E of 85.  Euro looks perfect wrt to temp profiles.

KCLT fought off the warm nose. not sure why it's not showing more snow. it's at least an 10" snowfall as depicted by the NAM.

Archived