joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looked warmer in general to me, like CLT might get considerable sleet. But maybe I'm seeing things?

AVL should be all snow, HKY is probably close to mixing for a very short period, but CLT may get a good bit of IP this run. Heights crash once storm phases so the SN/IP line will probably not be determined until the event is underway, many key things that models could miss. Looks good for now though.

It looked warmer in general to me, like CLT might get considerable sleet. But maybe I'm seeing things?

I would venture to say with a low bombing off the coast like that its gonna funnel in some colder air to compensate im sure a met can break that down more for you or even burger or someone of that nature.

I would venture to say with a low bombing off the coast like that its gonna funnel in some colder air to compensate im sure a met can break that down more for you or even burger or someone of that nature.

With an 850 low that takes the track it does as well as the phasing at h5 which causes the trough to go negative, heights will crash on the backside and it will be all snow, more like the euro. Even CLT and GSO are easily all snow on the euro.

I know its a clown map but goes to show for sure that NAM def beefed up accumulations on the western side of the storm. Good trends to start the day.

Yea, but I don't see why it wouldn't be fairly accurate. Using a 10:1 ratio or so those snowfall totals look about right based on the QPF map.

WOW....I actually think I remember that event.  I think its telling that ALL the models are showing that wedge getting into E AL...ARW pushes it to SW GA!!  lol

Chris, I just saw a 4 km WRF radar simulation for 9 a.m. Wednesday morning that is alarming.  It shows the 32 degree surface isotherm west of Gadsden and Anniston to near Columbus.....as far south in GA as Americus, Sylvester, and Statesboro.....with a tremendous area of freezing rain north of it too north of Atlanta, and a lot more precip in Alabama and Mississippi too come. Ryan Maue posted it on Twitter.  

Chris, I just saw a 4 km WRF radar simulation for 9 a.m. Wednesday morning that is alarming.  It shows the 32 degree surface isotherm west of Gadsden and Anniston to near Columbus.....as far south in GA as Americus, Sylvester, and Statesboro.....with a tremendous area of freezing rain north of it too north of Atlanta, and a lot more precip in Alabama and Mississippi too come. Ryan Maue posted it on Twitter.  

Ya, I wasn't sure if anyone really used those, but they both show what I thinik its certainlly possible, and main models are trending that way, is to see some really nasty ZR accum pushing into mid GA and maybe west and south.

If these numbers hold true and CAE gets over an inch of ice I have a feeling the seven 18-year-old Bradford Pear trees I have won't fair too well. It is amazing to see how much of SC could be affected by an appreciable amount of ZR.

Really hope that temp line pushes south tomorrow and we lean more towards snow or sleet instead.

Well; I know my area didn't get treated.  Yet.

I'm going over previous modeling and some areas are falling quicker than forecast.

One good sign is the real event is tomorrow not today.  So I'm probably just starting to get paranoid because of the ice storm shown.

The temps might be around 1 or 2 degrees off right now for my area from some modeling from 00z.. but nothing crazy.

and to buckeye as well:

all things aside i feel for yall in the moster ice zone. i have been in a couple of biggies, but the most was approaching an inch or so. it was an experience and interesting, but does get the trees.

dec 05 took out all the bradford pears in this neighborhood - i saw one peel apart like a banana as it split down the center.  as lookout alluded to the sound is what got me, it sounds like gunshots going off as the trees and large limbs snap. clean up was a mess and power was out 3 or 4 days.

The rgem is a thing of beauty. Still snowing at hour 48 and ten inch totals already in the north Georgia mtns nw sc and southwest nc.

It literally only looks good for AVL west. No thanks. 

Edit: Look at maps on the AmWx models looks like for Shelby to CLT it's about 6-8 inches of snow and 2 inches of sleet. Anyone west of GSO gets around 4 inches of snow and has major mixing issues according to the RGEM. 

Great disco overnight folks... I see wsw are going up and the euro held it course.

Should be a fun day at work for everyone as you try to track:)

GSP has cut into the totals around:

Wonder if they are thinking mixing issues are going here. Certainly a few models are pointing to that especially for my backyard. This is going to be a long day tomorrow!

It literally only looks good for AVL west. No thanks.

Edit: Look at maps on the AmWx models looks like for Shelby to CLT it's about 6-8 inches of snow and 2 inches of sleet. Anyone west of GSO gets around 4 inches of snow and has major mixing issues according to the RGEM.

if it went out farther im sure you would be happy.

Found the euro snowfall accumulation on the Mid Atlantic forum.  According to the person who posted it, it is adjusted to account for fzrn, ip, and low ratios.

EURO Snowfall.png

If this is adjusted for sleet and freezing rain, the euro is screaming a repeat of the January 1996 storm for at least the RDU area (in terms of precip type and amounts).

**I was living in Wake Forest and experienced 14 hours of heavy sleet with a little snow at the end. Ended up with over 6" of sleet on the ground. To this day I put that storm as my favorite, even over the Carolina Crusher. Bring it on!!

Can anyone comment on the euro ensemble mean? How does the track compare to the operational which ticked east last night?

I'm noticing that the higher resolution (rgem, nam4k, etc...) models are coming in with a more of a mixing issue in areas where the lower resolution models are showing snow. Am I correct in assuming that the higher resolution would make them better in picking up on warm layers in the column?

6z NAM is a terrible freezing rain storm for RDU, COBB says 1.38 of QPF is freezing rain.

Unfortunately, the 6z GFS also looks to have trended more freezing rainish on the RDU soundings.

Only saving grace is that the model show RDU around 32 or so during the height which may temper some of the ice accrual, but trees are going to get it bad for sure. Road and surface will likely depend on how much snow/sleet we get at the onset.

Archived