• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

Yeh, he does definitely know his stuff...but the big ones he's always too conservative for.  He's definitely not honking like he usually does.  The transitions are just too tight between western sections of the Triangle and eastern sections, which is why he's so reserved.  Chapel Hill could see a nice dump, and Zebulon could switch to plain rain.  Pretty nuts.

Yup.  I can't remember him ever overestimating a storm.  He always goes under, which is probably prudent.  Especially, as you note, as there will be a sharp transition somewhere over his viewing area for this storm.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you.  Yes, it does look to have moved the snow/sleet line further east, which is a huge help for GSO/CLT, which had serious mixing issues in prior runs of the Canadian.  That's a long-duration 24-hour event.  Wow.

Wow, the difference between those two -- 1" of freezing rain from the NAM, 1' of snow from the GFS.  I'll take the GFS, please!

Oh man if that holds KCAE gets hammered.

You know.. there is something major being looked over here.  Yes thats a strong hit. a lot more sleet then ZR maybe... just off that page's precip maps.

I'll be throwing a short post together in a few minutes about the real damage maker. (wind)

Do not pay attention to Glen Burns. We will not get even 1" of ice, .5 maybe which would still be bad- but I still think that the worst ice is S/SE of Atlanta.

To be fair to burns, who everyone knows I do not like at all, he didn't say that atlanta would see that much ice. He pointed out that it would be south and southeast of atlanta around the i-20 corridor. He said 0.10 to 0.25 for atlanta itself.

Okay.  For anyone in the extreme freezing rain areas; this is what will kill all your trees and power lines that haven't already been severely damaged.  I would post for the Euro/RGEM/CMC/UKMET.. but I dont have good free maps and I'm lazy.

This would be absolutely devastating combined with the ice totals in SC/GA.

This would be absolutely devastating combined with the ice totals in SC/GA.

Yes, 30-35mph gusts or even higher already breaks tree limbs on a normal day around KCAE.  The winds as this thing blows up the coast could approach gusts of 40.

The wind for the ZR areas isn't being stressed enough.

Yup.  I can't remember him ever overestimating a storm.  He always goes under, which is probably prudent.  Especially, as you note, as there will be a sharp transition somewhere over his viewing area for this storm.

He hasn't recovered from Dec 2000 when he published an accumulation map with feet of snow in RTP, a redux of the Carolina crusher from Jan 2000 and it went east and we got nothing.

Okay.  For anyone in the extreme freezing rain areas; this is what will kill all your trees and power lines that haven't already been severely damaged.  I would post for the Euro/RGEM/CMC/UKMET.. but I dont have good free maps and I'm lazy.

Absolutely frightening.   Basically with the factor of wind and that much accretion of ice potentially, would put this in the Cat 5 of icestorms

He hasn't recovered from Dec 2000 when he published an accumulation map with feet of snow in RTP, a redux of the Carolina crusher from Jan 2000 and it went east and we got nothing.

if i remember right that storm was a product of the eta (now known as the nam)... that model sucks guys, don't buy into its thermal or qpf profiles.

Ugh, I had totally forgotten all about that!  Luckily we still had memories of our 20"+ to dull that pain, but wow that did stink.  That was an amazing bust, I had put it completely out of my mind.

if i remember right that storm was a product of the eta (now known as the nam)... that model sucks guys, don't buy into its thermal or qpf profiles.

I'm sure hoping the NAM is wrong -- an inch of freezing rain in RDU per latest run would be no fun.  GFS with its foot of snow, however, is more than welcome to verify.

I'm sure hoping the NAM is wrong -- an inch of freezing rain in RDU per latest run would be no fun.  GFS with its foot of snow, however, is more than welcome to verify.

i think something down the middle is prob most likely here. the only thing i don't want is a total sleet fest and i'm afraid that's going to happen. half the time you can't even see sleet in the lights at night. it might as well be volcanic ash coming down.

i think something down the middle is prob most likely here. the only thing i don't want is a total sleet fest and i'm afraid that's going to happen. half the time you can't even see sleet in the lights at night. it might as well be volcanic ash coming down.

Given the choice between sleet and freezing rain I'll go sleet, but yeah, no fun.  I remember a storm in Greensboro in either 1988 or 1989 where it was in the upper teens and sleeted all day -- got two or more inches.  Was incredible.

You know.. there is something major being looked over here.  Yes thats a strong hit. a lot more sleet then ZR maybe... just off that page's precip maps.

I'll be throwing a short post together in a few minutes about the real damage maker. (wind)

I actually got one of the folks in SC to mention the wind but the fact we're seeing gusts near 20 (if it holds) is terrifying when all the models are pointing in excess of 1.4 (i've seen)

Do models do a good job picking up orographic enhancement (such as what might occur on the eastern slopes of the blue ridge with a low level SE flow)?

Do models do a good job picking up orographic enhancement (such as what might occur on the eastern slopes of the blue ridge with a low level SE flow)

It takes a pretty unique situation for that to happen, but it's not out of the question for areas like lenior/morganton/marion. most model don't pick up on that, but it's only possible with a SE flow. that doesn't happen long with a Miller A coastal slp. the impact would probably be negligible. it's more noticeable if a tropical system is moving west of the apps and there a large SE fetch.

It takes a pretty unique situation for that to happen, but it's not out of the question for areas like lenior/morganton/marion. most model don't pick up on that, but it's only possible with a SE flow. that doesn't happen long with a Miller A coastal slp. the impact would probably be negligible. it's more noticeable if a tropical system is moving west of the apps and there a large SE fetch.

Thanks for the answer. During hurricane Frances, the SE fetch was incredible.. over 16 inches of rain here. Im also a little worried about downsloping here after the wind turns to a more northerly trajectory... new GFS seems to hint at this

Archived