joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert (WxSouth) also sounded very excited with what the RPM was showing. Said the high was showing as a 1038 to setup the wedge. That could help with folks who could get mixing issues. 

I agree... the presence of a strong CAD signature will help more than just at the surface while the low moves across the SE.  Even during solid Miller A events with weak CAD or nearly none at all the precip is still primarily snow.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/2014/md0082.html

mcd0082.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0082   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0721 AM CST TUE FEB 11 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...NE SC AND SE NC   CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION    VALID 111321Z - 111915Z   SUMMARY...RAIN WILL CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH   SNOW AND SLEET...THIS MORNING. PRECIPITATION RATES ARE EXPECTED TO   INCREASE THROUGH MIDDAY.   DISCUSSION...RAIN WAS CHANGING TO MIXED WINTER PRECIPITATION TYPES   THIS MORNING ACROSS PARTS OF THE COASTAL PLAIN IN SE NC AND NE   SC...AS SFC TEMPERATURES BEGIN TO FALL IN AREA OF LOW-LEVEL COLD-AIR   ADVECTION. TEMPERATURES MAINLY FROM 30-33 DEGREES WILL CONTINUE TO   FALL THROUGH THE DAY AND FREEZING RAIN...POSSIBLY MIXED WITH SNOW   AND SLEET AT TIMES...IS EXPECTED FOR SEVERAL HOURS. PRECIPITATION   RATES WILL INCREASE AS FRONTOGENETIC FORCING IN THE 850-700 MB LAYER   OVERSPREADS THE REGION...AND WARM/MOIST ADVECTION OVERRIDES   COLDER/DRIER LOW LEVELS. THIS TREND WAS EVIDENT IN SFC OBS AT KEYF   WHERE MODERATE RAIN /33 DEGREES F/ AND AT KMRH WHERE MODERATE   FREEZING RAIN /32 DEGREES F/ WAS REPORTED. FREEZING RAIN RATES COULD   APPROACH 0.05 IN PER 3 HRS THROUGH THE MORNING HOURS.

I agree... the presence of a strong CAD signature will help more than just at the surface while the low moves across the SE.  Even during solid Miller A events with weak CAD or nearly none at all the precip is still primarily snow.

That may help set the slp track further east. A slp will not run into a wedge but around it. So wherever the wedge boundary setups later today I would expect the inverted trough axis to setup and be the eventual track of the big lp tomorrow.

I don't use these terms much but here it is. The NAM looks catastrophic for parts of metro atlanta. If there isn't sleet mixed in this will be horrible.

It's been a source of huge debate at work about half of us think ATL will be mostly sleet after 18z Wednesday while the other half think it's mostly freezing rain til Thursday AM...debates include everything but cold layer depth to droplet size to how cold the layer is...interestingly enough unless I was reading it wrong I sensed in the FFC AFD this AM they think southern ATL will change back to rain tomorrow afternoon.

Robert (WxSouth) also sounded very excited with what the RPM was showing. Said the high was showing as a 1038 to setup the wedge. That could help with folks who could get mixing issues. 

I KNEW I was going to wake up and GSP would cut my totals, and call for mixing issues.  I knew it.  From the morning runs though I'm happy to see we're still in the game.  Really good to see the EURO cool down for CLT and give us mostly snow. 

Honestly with this setup and the way the storm looks to play out, I'd be surprised if this wasn't mostly snow.  It's just a classic 85 special, old school.  I still can't believe we got this set up this year.  Like to see the track trend a tick east, phase a bit later.

It's been a source of huge debate at work about half of us think ATL will be mostly sleet after 18z Wednesday while the other half think it's mostly freezing rain til Thursday AM...debates include everything but cold layer depth to droplet size to how cold the layer is...interestingly enough unless I was reading it wrong I sensed in the FFC AFD this AM they think southern ATL will change back to rain tomorrow afternoon.

In the AFD, I took it to mean that they thought the southern part of their CWA by I-16 (so Macon SE towards Savannah) would changeover earlier, not the southern part of the Metro proper. That would seem to make sense given the CAD, right?

I may have been reading it wrong, though.

SREF Plumes are out.  Significantly lower snowfall mean for Greensboro. Went from 10 inches down to 7 probably due to mixing.  The probability of sleet and freezing rain have increased although the probability for snow remains higher.  Many of the members have almost no snow accumulations.  Not a good sign, but I'm not sure how reliable it is.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20140211&RT=09&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=GSO&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=7&mLAT=34.772925208051774&mLON=-80.431324609375&mTYP=roadmap

From the WPC:

PREFERENCE: BLEND OF 12Z UKMET / 12Z EC MEAN
    OR A BLEND OF 00Z GFS / 00Z ECMWF POSITION
CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE 00Z NAM IS DIFFERENT EARLY IN THE SHORT RANGE...REGARDING A
NRN STREAM SHORTWAVE CURRENTLY ENTERING BRITISH COLUMBIA EARLY
THIS MORNING. THIS CONTINUES DOWNSTREAM WITH A SLOWER/NORTHWARD
DISPLACED MID-LEVEL JET STREAK BY WED MORNING OVER THE CNTRL HIGH
PLAINS...A FEATURE WHICH HOLDS GOOD CONTINUITY IN THE
GFS/ECMWF/UKMET. THIS RESULTS IN A LESS AMPLIFIED UPPER TROUGH IN
THE NAM BY EARLY THU OVER THE CNTRL APPALACHIANS.

THE ENSEMBLE SCATTER LOW PLOTS ARE MORE TIGHTLY CLUSTERED TODAY
THAN YESTERDAY...WHICH SHOULD BE EXPECTED...BUT THEY HAVE MADE A
WHOLESALE SHIFT SLOWER AND WEST. THE ECMWF MEMBERS ARE ON THE WEST
SIDE OF THE LATEST LOW PLOT ENVELOPE...INITIALIZED
12Z/10...FOLLOWED BY THE GEFS/CMC MEMBERS JUST EAST OF THE ECMWF
MEMBER CLUSTER DURING THE DAY ON THURSDAY. THIS PRECLUDES USE OF
THE 00Z CMC WHICH CONTINUES TO BE MUCH FASTER THAN THE CONSENSUS.
THE 00Z UKMET IS LIKELY THE MOST AGGRESSIVE MODEL WITH HOW FAR
SOUTH THE UPPER TROUGH DIGS INTO THE SOUTHEAST AND ENDS UP WEST OF
ITS 12Z RUN WITH THE SURFACE LOW...AND IS LIKELY TOO FAR WEST. THE
00Z ECMWF HAS SHIFTED ITS LOW TRACK EAST SLIGHTLY FROM ITS 12Z
RUN...20-40 MILES...ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST BUT IS NEARLY
IDENTICAL TO ITS PREVIOUS RUN NEAR THE NEW ENGLAND COAST. THE 00Z
ECMWF IS STILL A BIT WEST OF THE 12Z EC MEAN NEAR NEW ENGLAND.
GIVEN THESE ADJUSTMENTS...STILL FEEL THE 00Z GFS IS A TAD TOO FAR
EAST...AND TOO WEAK...PERHAPS RELATED TO POSSIBLE CONVECTIVE
FEEDBACK ALONG THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST THURSDAY MORNING. THE
PREVIOUS PREFERENCE CONTINUES...BUT TO INCLUDE THE LATEST 00Z
MODEL SUITE...THE POSITION OF THE BLENDED 00Z ECMWF/GFS APPEARS
MOST USABLE...WITH THE STRENGTH OF THE 00Z ECMWF.

Archived