joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Big One - Forecast & Discussion

Wow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaning toward one large winter storm warning for both events, may go pretty far south. NW GA may see 2"+ by 15Z Tues.

Just my opinion but that is a much better idea. I understand what you guys do well an it still took me a minute to figure out that you guy are trying to put out advisories for two events. I possible make it one for the sake I the general public understanding better.

Leaning toward one large winter storm warning for both events, may go pretty far south. NW GA may see 2"+ by 15Z Tues.

Hi,

I sure hope you guys combine them into one huge warning.  The tv mets are spending too much time explaining that there are 2 watches with differerent coverage areas for different but slightly overlapping time windows, and not enough time talking about what's going to happen.  They seem to be afraid that the first warning will expire and everyone will assume it's all over.  One warning would solve that concern!

Tyvm :)

CNN BREAKING NEWS:

Georgia gov. puts 45 counties under winter weather state of emergency as state faces second snowstorm in two weeks 

Heard that from a co-worker. They are actually treating the roads here before the storm this time and calling in crews from other states.

Well waited long enough. Here is my first map and a brief discussion.

Well this is as difficult a map as I have ever had to make due to the many zones of p-type issues and also the model uncertainty, but this is my best guess.

Synopsis

A complicated setup as we see several s/w in the southern branch of the jet stream interact with each other while the northern branch of the jet stream delivers a fresh supply of cold polar/arctic air into the Great Lakes and Northeast. The high pressure is not too strong, around 1032-1035mb, but it is in a classical CAD position as the storm begins and transitions to a hybrid setup as the storm wears on. Diabatic processes will help intensify the damming and drive it well into South Carolina and Georgia.

Right now, I feel like low pressure along the Gulf Coast will consolidate into a stronger area of low pressure east of Savannah/Charleston by Wednesday morning. By Wednesday afternoon a trough will capture this storm and begin to strengthen it rapidly while turning it north east of Hatteras. I do not expect the low pressure center to track up the coastal plain but to stay off shore. This fits historical events, climo, takes into account model biases, and the current synoptic pattern with the wedge locked in east of the mountains.

Best Chance for Heavy Snow

I see the area from NE Georgia into upstate South Carolina, western NC, and central Va as standing the best chance to receive very heavy snow. I have 8-12 inches there right now, but if the storm does indeed bomb and hug the coast amounts in excess of a foot are possible. This includes Greenville, SC, Asheville, Hickory, Greensboro into Roanoke.

Best Chance for Severe Ice

This zone is hard to pinpoint as we have an unusually wide transition zone with this Miller A type storm. Right now from central Georgia into central SC and into east-central NC stand the best chance of seeing 0.5 to 0.75 inches of freezing rain accrual. It is possible some areas could see up to 1 inch of ice accrual, but this would be an unusually severe case. This includes areas like Athens, Columbia, Fayetteville, and Raleigh. It is possible there could be a changeover to rain Wednesday night along the I-95 corridor and east in NC, but it could be brief or hold east of I-95. As of now, I do not think Raleigh-Durham changes to plain rain.

There are many transition zones and mixed precipitation areas, so look at the map and that will tell you what I think for your area. I will update this as data changes. Confidence is still somewhat low but increasing some.

Wow, thanks Allan, I'm RIGHT there near the "E" in NW CLT.  I'd take 8 inches and call it a win for the next two years.  HPC seems to agree with you on the track of the LOW, calling shenanigans on it coming inland.  I agree, if the confluence is a good as modeled, it looks like it would stay off the coast keeping mixing more south and east.

We've been getting a decent snow shower here in GSO for about half an hour now... The ground is just wet but hopefully this helps cool down the ground a bit for the real system.

Yeah, pretty decent snowfall rates, too.  It's just too warm out there for it to stick.  It's finally starting to stick onto elevated surfaces now, so I'll call it a dusting. :)

BTW, guys, here are the 00z EPS mean totals.  Keep in mind this might not be all-snow and certainly isn't down in the southern and eastern areas.  Totals are computed by taking all wintry precip at 10:1 ratios.  Just for fun...  Totals are up again.

GSO: 12"

HKY: 11.5"

CLT: 13"

AVL: 12.25"

RDU: 9.25"

MWK: 10.25"

RWI: 6.75"

PGV: 5.5"

FAY: 10"

DAN: 11"

CAE: 11.5"

GSP: 13.5"

ATL: 8"

AHN: 13.5"

RMG: 6"

DNN: 6.5"

Just a quick and probably stupid question from a noob, but why hasn't the NWS in Raleigh issued a winter storm watch or anything for central NC? I live in Winston Salem right outside of GSO. Again please excuse my noob ignorance. Thanks!

It's a 4th/5th period event therefore I'm sure they want to ensure there are no wild swings on the models plenty of time to digest the various qpf outputs and track of the low. I'm sure you'll prolly see one out this afternoon or by the latest tomorrow mornings issuance of the afd

Archived