joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/28-1/30 SE Winter Storm OBS

NavarreDon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know what you mean, we went out in it this afternoon and it was incredibly dry and powdery.  I'm not the Georgia statistician or anything, but I can't remember the last time we had a (somewhat) major snow around Atlanta with temps at 21 to 24 degrees.  It's usually in the lower 30's and maybe down into the upper 20's.  On that note, the local news here is unreal.  All the interstates are a total disaster.  I'm afraid some of the people out there could possibly be stuck all night.  Temps are already close to dropping into the teens!

I went through a similar event in OKC back in 09...of course that was a 14 inch storm but the impacts were similar to what ATL is having today....the remarkable thing which you'll see is the carryover effect is massive, stuff will be closed for days, I mean literally you'll go to a restaurant or store Friday and it will be closed because their employees are just burned out, sick, have worked 30 hours straight or people still have not retrieved abandoned cars and what not.

Snow is light, pushing moderate in noda Charlotte. Seems like the base under the sand-snow is basically a sheet of ice. North Davidson is covered as is 36th, no one is goon anywhere in the morning

Same here. Thin layer of snow over the roads. Haven't even tried to get out to South Blvd. or a main road. 

Just got in from another Jeb Walk...  18 degrees with the snow coming down good.  It might be moderate, but I'm not positive.

It's a picturesque winter wonderland.  You can't do it much better than this.

This has turned out to be such a nice surprise for our area.  I really didn't think we were going to get anything.

Augusta here! We're entering hour 5 of the excruciating slide from 37 to 32 degrees -- closest wunderground has me at 33.3. Freezing rain for the past 2.5 hours. Really hoping we'll make the switch soon, some rain bands have been heavy. Less ice more snow please.

A friend in Grovetown tells me it's snowing, so hopefully that's coming my way!

nice big flakes now with this band... about 1.5 inches on ground .. still 17 deg

Yeah, flake size is increasing some now and rates are picking up again. :)

This has turned out to be such a nice surprise for our area.  I really didn't think we were going to get anything.

Indeed!  I thought we would get something, but this is overperforming, even for my typically overdone expectations.  Then again, we live in the Triad and we tend to do well in these fringe events, haha.  We fringe our way to good winter totals at the end of the year.

I went through a similar event in OKC back in 09...of course that was a 14 inch storm but the impacts were similar to what ATL is having today....the remarkable thing which you'll see is the carryover effect is massive, stuff will be closed for days, I mean literally you'll go to a restaurant or store Friday and it will be closed because their employees are just burned out, sick, have worked 30 hours straight or people still have not retrieved abandoned cars and what not.

My wife is a nurse and she is the only person on her shift that made it in to work. Her and the manager (who was there all day) are splitting 16 patients.

Enjoying the dusting here in West Durham so far-we'll probably get at least an inch, but it's painful watching the heaver precip stay just east. Would anyone be able to comment on the chance of that precip shield moving a bit more westward so that us Durham/Orange county folk get into more of the fun?

nice big flakes now with this band... about 1.5 inches on ground .. still 17 deg

Just got in and couldnt agree more. Back edge getting ready to swing through and these are the biggest flakes we have had all day. Snowed an inch or so since 6pm here in Kernersville. Agree with your 1.5" total.

Cant believe how much accums were wasted with powder earlier today. Only served to make the roads treacherous but the sledding is great! It packs tight.

Edit- I would think the larger flakage bodes well for overnight accums for our triangle and sandhills friends.

1.5 to 2 inches here in Taylors SC 

Thats NE of GVL in Greenville County right next to Greer !

The lightest finest flakes I seen started around 1pm and ended around 7:45

The bad thing is that because the snow was so fine it melted on the road for an hour and a half or two hours with temps in the mid 20's !

Now its low 20's and the road is a sheet of ice 

Archived