• Created
  • Last Reply

nws here in chs said 

"IT APPEARS AT THIS TIME THAT THERE WILL BE

ENOUGH DYNAMIC COOLING AND HEAVY ENOUGH PRECIPITATION RATES TO

SUPPORT FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET TRANSITIONING TO ALL SNOW ACROSS THE

INTERIOR BEFORE MIDNIGHT...WITH THE TRANSITION LINE TO ALL SNOW

STEADILY WORKING ITS WAY EAST/SE TO THE COAST BY SUNRISE WEDNESDAY"

i think the heavy precip rates as depicted by the nam/gfs will help our temp issue here. any slight changes in the timing of the changeover will have huge implications in regards to ice or snow accums.  will be fun to watch.

Thanks a bunch for that "up-date" Southern Snow.... I was getting frustrated, worried that we would instead have a Major Icing event, with possible 1" +/- accumulations before change-over to all snow, THAT would of been UUUUGGGLLLYY for all us here on the coast. I just got in, trying to catch up here, (sry ot).. Looks also the precipitation is starting Earlier than expected,,, Late tonight/light precipitation may start before daybreak Tuesday...especially near the coast. Cooling off the column/atmosphere as the Artic front approaches, following  post-frontal passage;  a'lil moist northeasterly flow sets up & will saturate the column up to around 650 mb around, Late this evening, giving US, (here along the Coast mostly),starting with rain, quickly changing over to a ...snow and sleet  mix

by daybreak on Tuesday, following the Main Event starting..

The question is why the shift west?

For the mountain areas, I don't think the shift west has anything to do with the QPF projection.  Rather, as Robert pointed out, it looks like overrunning precipitation that breaks out far earlier than the NAM and GFS indicate.  In fact, if taken at face-value, it would snow lightly all day in the mountains, to the tune of 1-2" as others have pointed out.

My concern is the location of the arctic boundary at 1pm EST versus where it was modeled to be.  It is running slower, as KAVL still sits in the upper 40s, and even Knoxville is still in the 40s.  If the front hangs up a bit longer, it may be a good focus for the better overrunning precipitation.  I think the Euro is hinting at this.

Stay tuned mountain folks.  This could be interesting - and we may not need any NW shift.

I hope we see another 25 to 30 mile shift north so that everyone in north ga would at least get an inch. Right now on the euro, only the extreme northwest corner gets less than 0.05. This run even has 0.10 amounts into the western nc mountains. A  25 to 30 mile shift 24 to 30 hours ahead of time is not unrealistic and certainly possible.

Of course it could end up going back the other way but with this run, there is now a good consensus on where and how much precip will fall in general.

Personally I'm thinking the far NGA "jackpot" will come with the streaking overrunning precip that is supposed to arrive by daybreak across the far north.  That kind of stuff almost always over performs.  After that anything I get will just be bonus.

That's a insane shift west. Will the trend continue? 

12z vs. 0z

I simply do not trust those maps. Despite totals 2 or 3 times the amount from the 0z run on the back edge, it only increase snow totals by a few tenths of an inch. It's frustrating because a lot of times it shows way too much. One reason why I don't like model snow maps.

Lookout, same thoughts for north of I85 Greenville County?

I'm only answering this once because We don't want how much for my backyard questions. All you have to do is go back and look at the other models location/amounts and you get about the same as the euro.

Here's where the latest RAP ends its run at hour 18.  If anybody more qualified wants to take a stab at where our northern and southern energy would go next, please go for it. As I compare to earlier runs, the northern energy seems a touch stronger, and the southern energy is headed the wrong direction to phase (SE).

rap_namer_018_500_vort_ht.gif

Here is my first call map. I went conservative on the totals, especially in western NC and SC and northern and western GA. Confidence is low in the forecast, so it will be interesting to monitor the trends on the RAP, water vapor, and operational models this evening into tomorrow.

1016767_592320097521102_1759797402_n.jpg

I'm sure this will throw Brick and others into a frenzy, but a little discussion at RAH about a few of the high res models coming in a little later/drier than the GFS/NAM/Euro. I don't personally think it's concerning as of now given their drier nature, but think a later timing would be preferable. I agree with Allan's call of 3-6 around the Triangle though. Probably 3 for me, 6 for Brick.

Mike Maze from WRAL posted this on facebook:

Looking at the latest round of models for our snow event showing the system speeding up. We could be seeing snow fall here by lunchtime Tuesday. Snow would continue into the evening Tuesday, overnight and end around daybreak on Wednesday. Right now totals look heaviest along and east of I-95. We will iron out the totals by 5PM.

But does that matter though?  Most of the models are not even absorbing that energy, right?  If that's the case, then maybe it won't matter.

The Euro had some interaction with the trough for enhancement. We shall see though. 

Umm... no its not. Look at RAP forecast for 2pm, it's right where it should be.

Im comparing it to the monster runs that showed 8+inches. I know some are expecting heavy accumulations. Just giving a alternate view. 

The Euro had some interaction with the trough for enhancement. We shall see though. 

Im comparing it to the monster runs that showed 8+inches. I know some are expecting heavy accumulations. Just giving a alternate view. 

Gotcha...I couldn't tell on the eWall Euro maps.

Archived