• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

12Z Euro ens. looks more ominous for the SAV-CHS corridor with more qpf and ZR suggested for a good portion of the precip. with 850's in the +3 to +5 range before changing to IP and then snow. It is looking more likely that there will, indeed, be some snow accumulations late tonight and in the morning.

Wow more than the OP or 0z Ens ?    Any big changes north of there?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still not sold this will be a mostly SN event for areas east of 17 in eastern NC, and think the bust potential is high, maybe expecting 6-10" SN and end with 3-4" mainly IP. It will be interesting to see how MHX approaches this, in addition to the local on air Mets. MHX currently has IP confined to the immediate coastal sections, coastal Onslow and Carteret. Using the 12z RGEM to take a closer look, specifically at 850-700mb thickness, 42hrs as the graphic matches up fairly well with the Euro. The 1550m line is running from about New Bern to just east of Lumberton, cases on the nonogram indicate a mixed bag, ~30% all SN, about the same IP, and the rest mixed. New Bern's sounding at 36hrs based on the 12z NAM is clearly IP, and it does not get much better at 39 or 42hrs. Highest totals should be in areas that stay mostly or all SN. If I had to paint a jackpot right now it would be somewhere along Goldsboro - Williamston - Elizabeth City, for a chance of >10". Confidence that coastal counties and even adjacent counties south of 70 stay all SN is not high.

attachicon.gifrgemthick.JPG

attachicon.gifnono.jpg

attachicon.gifKEWN.JPG

I hate to ask but I'm basically on 17 and 264...are we expecting mostly snow or ice? Greenville always seems to get it better than us here in Washington.

I think the NAM ended any more NW trend, now we just have to hope it doesn't get worse. I think the RGEM run will be important run in 30 mins.

Very difficult forecast for Wake County.  30 mile shift in either direction could be the difference in 1" and 8".

18z NAM still keeps that second slug of moisture for Wed night/Thurs JUST off the coast of South Carolina.  If anything, it actually moved another 10 miles or so east from the 12z run.  If that did throw back some moisture to the coast, it would likely be snow.

Looking at the latest RAP at 18 hours that energy is very N/S oriented and almost dipping into Arizona. 18z GFS had it more E/W oriented and as soon as it got close to AZ it jumped east. We need to play close attention to what the RAP does with that energy. If it can dig a little more I suspect you may get some interaction with that southern vort. At the very least it should help with more precip as it moves further east...again if it digs further than the NAM and keeps a more neutral orientation. 

Yes, %wise. Canton up from 0.04" to 0.10" qpf on the 12Z Euro ens vs. the 0Z version.

Larry,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the finger that blows up over TN and N GA, looking at some of the simulated radar, it seems there is a "screw zone" between there and the I-85 corridor over GA.  Obviously south of the 85 corridor it looks a little more optimistic.

Thoughts?

Archived