• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

An excellent point eater. Alway nice for it to be displayed on the  RGEM model today.

Hopefully a push in the right direction.

Would this lends towards any lee side development ?

It looks like there is a weak inverted trough running up through the Savannah River Valley.  I have noticed in the past with arctic air spilling over the mtns that the frontogenesis gets enhanced in NW SC into the foothills and southern piedmont of NC - i.e. tighter packing of the isotherms in the low levels aiding precip development

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I assume from reading that it's still an iffy situation, but in general the areas near lake Lanier should just see a couple snow showers from overrunning? I understand a lot can change but I don't understand why this ssystem is so surpressed? I've seen numerous gulf lows give a phlethra of precip inland. What's different this time?

It does not get any sharper than this. Hell this reminds me of lake effect snow bands where there could be 2 feet in one spot and 5 miles down the road there is hardly anything at all. I'm not sure if I have ever seen such a sharp cutoff down here where precip is not associated with a frontal passage. This is why I said earlier it's going to be nerve racking to see where this actually ends up being. It's far too close for comfort so hopefully it trends northwest by 25 miles. I mean 25 miles isn't too much to ask for is it?: :arrowhead:

rad42.gif

rad39.gif

After you had your own personal snow band over you a few years ago that just snowed and snowed on you while the rest of us watched, I don't worry about you any more, lol.  It's me you need to be worrying about.  I live through 73, and saw how sharp the fall off was, and felt the crushing disappointment, lol.  I think we might ought to offer counselling to those getting too worked up, because this can turn some minds to mush before it's over :)  Tony

It does not get any sharper than this. Hell this reminds me of lake effect snow bands where there could be 2 feet in one spot and 5 miles down the road there is hardly anything at all. I'm not sure if I have ever seen such a sharp cutoff down here where precip is not associated with a frontal passage. This is why I said earlier it's going to be nerve racking to see where this actually ends up being. It's far too close for comfort so hopefully it trends northwest by 25 miles. I mean 25 miles isn't too much to ask for is it?: :arrowhead:

This is the times that I really hate, lol! I would love to post an accumulation map, but I just can't at the moment. There is just so much uncertainty with this system. I am watching the shortwave over New Mexico, the baja low, the diving northern stream, and just wondering how all these will interact. Models seem to have converged on the idea that the baja low will not a factor, so even without this, what happens east of the mountains? I really don't know. I just told dad that I would not be shocked if we get nothing or four inches in the foothills of NC. Neither would shock me at the moment...

FWIW, here's my post in the general forum concerning the storm:

Based on the latest ensemble and operational model guidance (prior to the 1/27 12z run of the ECMWF), one could probably make a case that the February 6-7, 1980 and March 1-2, 1980 snowstorms had reasonably similar 500 mb patterns. Below are charts showing the composite 500 mb anomalies for those two storms and qpf/snowfall for select cities:

01272014_1.jpg

Taking into consideration those 500 mb cases and the latest guidance, snowfall risks can probably be listed as follows:

Trace or Less:

Boston

New York City

Philadelphia

Washington, DC

1" or Less:

Atlantic City

Birmingham

Savannah

1"-3":

Atlanta

Charleston

2"-4"

Charlotte

Columbia

Richmond

Wilmington, NC

3"-6":

Raleigh

6" or More:

Norfolk

Actual useful info, thanks so much for sharing. Nice insight!

So I assume from reading that it's still an iffy situation, but in general the areas near lake Lanier should just see a couple snow showers from overrunning? I understand a lot can change but I don't understand why this ssystem is so surpressed? I've seen numerous gulf lows give a phlethra of precip inland. What's different this time?

Not to be a jerk, but there are countless posts in this thread.  If you go back and read you will have your answer ten fold

Got this from the other board. It's from Birmingham NWS, but I thought it applied to the situation as a whole, too.

AT THE ONSET OF THE EVENT TUESDAY MORNING...WE`LL HAVE TO CLOSELY
WATCH THE RADAR RETURNS THAT WILL BE SETTING UP TO OUR WEST AND
SOUTHWEST AS THE OVERRUNNING PRECIP BEGINS TO DEVELOP. MODEL
GUIDANCE USUALLY HAS A TOUGH TIME RESOLVING OVERRUNNING PRECIP
SITUATIONS...AND WE`VE ALREADY WITNESSED THAT QUITE A FEW TIMES OVER
THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS. WITH THIS IN MIND AND A WETTER LOOK TO THE
SUITE OF GUIDANCE...I`VE DECIDED TO INCREASE POPS FURTHER NORTHWARD
TO INCLUDE CHANCE POPS AS FAR NORTH AS THE I-59 CORRIDOR TUESDAY
AFTERNOON THROUGH EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AS A GOOD BUFFER ZONE
BETWEEN THE HIGHEST QPF AMOUNTS TO THE SOUTH AND THE POSSIBILITY OF
PRECIP MOVING A BIT FARTHER NORTH THAN GUIDANCE IS INDICATING.

More Euro PBP please! Southern vort responsible for added QPF or just stronger northern dive? How does QPF look across Gulf coast.?Temp trends? More more more!

My 5h maps for the euro are terrible so I can't say if the southern vort was responsible. I can say the trough appeared to be a little sharper.

12z euro now has 0.10 over much of northern ga, with half inch amounts from macon to columbia to eastern nc. 0.75 to 1 inch just south of there and 1 inch plus on the coast of upper sc and nc. In some cases it's 30 or 40 miles or so further north.

That's it.  Looks like I'm in the game for 1-2" .  I'll be happy with that considering at 12z yesterday I was praying for just a few flurries.  LOL

That's the wettest run of the Euro for MBY since last week.

When the king speaks..

My confidence of seeing 2 to 4  inches has increased dramatically with this run. It is a big relief to FINALLY see this shift. Hopefully it makes one more like that because if it does me and you would probably end up with 0.50 or better.

It gets 0.5" to RDU, on the east side of Wake County almost 0.7" and RDU is only about miles from 0.8" of precip, huge jump.  But it's also only 20 miles from 0.3" of precip, this is going to be nerve racking tomorrow.

How is it looking for KRWI and KPGV.  I do not have acess to Euro maps at work.  Thanks!

Archived