AND SOUTH OF I-85. THE FATHER SOUTH ONE GOES...THE HIGHER THE
TOTALS. IT WON/T TAKE MUCH MORE OF AN INCREASE FOR PARTS OF THE SRN
NC PIEDMONT AND THE SRN UPSTATE TO REACH WINTER STORM WARNING
CRITERIA ACCUMULATIONS...BUT FOR NOW WE ARE A LITTLE SHORT. I/D
LIKE TO SEE STRONG FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING BEFORE I PUSH UP TOTALS
ANY MORE...AS IT/S RATHER WEAK OVER OUR AREA FOR TOMORROW AFTERNOON
AND EVENING. ALSO...THE AIRMASS OVER THE REGION WILL BE EXTREMELY
DRY IN THE LOW LEVELS...AND IT MAKE TAKE A WHILE FOR SNOW TO START
REACHING THE GROUND...ESPECIALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF I-85.

I have been worried about the bold statement below. We have been very dry around here.

GSP increasing totals S&E of 85:

AS OF 1125 AM EST MONDAY...BASED ON TIGHTER CLUSTERING OF SNOW
AMOUNTS OF THE 0900 UTC SREF AND INCREASING GEFS MEAN SNOWFALL
AMOUNTS...SNOWFALL TOTALS HAVE BEEN RAISED TO 1 TO 3 INCHES ALONG
AND SOUTH OF I-85. THE FATHER SOUTH ONE GOES...THE HIGHER THE
TOTALS. IT WON/T TAKE MUCH MORE OF AN INCREASE FOR PARTS OF THE SRN
NC PIEDMONT AND THE SRN UPSTATE TO REACH WINTER STORM WARNING
CRITERIA ACCUMULATIONS...BUT FOR NOW WE ARE A LITTLE SHORT. I/D
LIKE TO SEE STRONG FRONTOGENETICAL FORCING BEFORE I PUSH UP TOTALS
ANY MORE...AS IT/S RATHER WEAK OVER OUR AREA FOR TOMORROW AFTERNOON
AND EVENING. ALSO...THE AIRMASS OVER THE REGION WILL BE EXTREMELY
DRY IN THE LOW LEVELS...AND IT MAKE TAKE A WHILE FOR SNOW TO START
REACHING THE GROUND...ESPECIALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF I-85.

I was thinking that every model has come at least a little west or northwest on their most recent run except for the gfs which lined up with the 6z run.  Did any other model not tick nw?

Pretty much so...I was fully planning on riding the GFS/RGEM as they had been the best models all winter but the GFS starting 18Z yesterday has been very inconsistent and the RGEM of course took a swing at 12Z north of where it had been.

I have been worried about the bold statement below. We have been very dry around here.

Hah no kidding! The Rel humidity even INSIDE my house was 20% the past couple of days even with a humidifier. That'll be interesting to see because I agree that's a factor.

Map below is the Canadian RGEM at 2PM tomorrow.  For the I-85 crowd, I think this band developing tomorrow morning to early aftn from Birmingham to Charlotte is foreal and something to watch for (I believe lookout and others have mentioned it).  A lot of times these bands associated with overrunning and frontogenesis can overperform.  Also, as a general rule, I think models have a tendency to underdo a bit the NW extent of the precip shield...just a few things to watch for

82m.gif

An excellent point eater. Alway nice for it to be displayed on the  RGEM model today.

Hopefully a push in the right direction.

Would this lends towards any lee side development ?

Map below is the Canadian RGEM at 2PM tomorrow.  For the I-85 crowd, I think this band developing tomorrow morning to early aftn from Birmingham to Charlotte is foreal and something to watch for (I believe lookout and others have mentioned it).  A lot of times these bands associated with overrunning and frontogenesis can overperform.  Also, as a general rule, I think models have a tendency to underdo a bit the NW extent of the precip shield...just a few things to watch for

Finally got my maps to for the 12z cmc and not as good as I originally thought but not complaining.  It looks to put between .25 and .5 qpf for RDU.  It's hard to tell on my maps but might be closer to .5.

Between 0.4-0.5", the gradient is going to be very nerve racking tomorrow a 20-30 mile shift either way will be the difference between 1-2" and 5-6"

It is going to be such a sharp cut off in regards to precipitation. Some areas will get surprised with more snow, while others are disappointed with a major bust. The trend today has been to increase totals for some areas west; however, the foothills and piedmont of NC and western SC needs just a little more of a shift or more energy to help develop precipitation over the area. The moisture profile looks great over many of these locations; however, there is just not enough to get a good snow band to develop on the models. Can this change, absolutely. I still do not know how good the models are handling the southwest pieces of energy, which can help to increase totals in certain areas.

A pretty amazing rollercoaster ride the past 24 hours, which is to be expected when it comes to winter weather in the Southeast.  Had the 18z GFS solution held, I don't know if the AMWX server would have survived!  It looks like a conservative, middle-of-the road solution appears to be where most of us west of the Carolinas are headed.  The extreme totals that the NAM and GFS were hinting at appear to be off the table, nevertheless it should still be at least a moderate impact event in parts of central and south Georgia.  Still hard to tell just how far north the precip will extend, but as Robert said, there are likely to be some surprises.

IP accumulations will cut down on our overall totals, but if that helps us avoid the dreaded ZR, I'm all for it!  A blend of the models should give us 1-2" of sleet topped off with 2" of snow if we can get the transition to take place early enough...otherwise, it might be a central Georgia sleetfest.  Tony, wax up your sled and head down this way!

Looking forward to updated thoughts from Delta and Candyman.

Hey, El K, I think I'm getting my sleet up here too.  I've not seen a snow over an inch, that wasn't a spring snow, since I've been here, that didn't have a sleet component.  BuffKit still says all snow, but I'm not buying it.  I need just enough to make the snow sledable, after the 4 wheelers, showing off to their girls friends, have mucked the roads all up :)  Looks like you and Shack are still in the sweet spot, where I like to be.  Close enough to the heater to get the sleet, but  close enough to the cold to not get the zmonster.  We'll see as it unfolds!  T

FWIW, here's my post in the general forum concerning the storm:

Based on the latest ensemble and operational model guidance (prior to the 1/27 12z run of the ECMWF), one could probably make a case that the February 6-7, 1980 and March 1-2, 1980 snowstorms had reasonably similar 500 mb patterns. Below are charts showing the composite 500 mb anomalies for those two storms and qpf/snowfall for select cities:

01272014_1.jpg

Taking into consideration those 500 mb cases and the latest guidance, snowfall risks can probably be listed as follows:

Trace or Less:

Boston

New York City

Philadelphia

Washington, DC

1" or Less:

Atlantic City

Birmingham

Savannah

1"-3":

Atlanta

Charleston

2"-4"

Charlotte

Columbia

Richmond

Wilmington, NC

3"-6":

Raleigh

6" or More:

Norfolk

It is going to be such a sharp cut off in regards to precipitation. Some areas will get surprised with more snow, while others are disappointed with a major bust. The trend today has been to increase totals for some areas west; however, the foothills and piedmont of NC and western SC needs just a little more of a shift or more energy to help develop precipitation over the area. The moisture profile looks great over many of these locations; however, there is just not enough to get a good snow band to develop on the models. Can this change, absolutely. I still do not know how good the models are handling the southwest pieces of energy, which can help to increase totals in certain areas.

It does not get any sharper than this. Hell this reminds me of lake effect snow bands where there could be 2 feet in one spot and 5 miles down the road there is hardly anything at all. I'm not sure if I have ever seen such a sharp cutoff down here where precip is not associated with a frontal passage. This is why I said earlier it's going to be nerve racking to see where this actually ends up being. It's far too close for comfort so hopefully it trends northwest by 25 miles. I mean 25 miles isn't too much to ask for is it?: :arrowhead:

rad42.gif

rad39.gif

FWIW, here's my post in the general forum concerning the storm:

Based on the latest ensemble and operational model guidance (prior to the 1/27 12z run of the ECMWF), one could probably make a case that the February 6-7, 1980 and March 1-2, 1980 snowstorms had reasonably similar 500 mb patterns. Below are charts showing the composite 500 mb anomalies for those two storms and qpf/snowfall for select cities:

01272014_1.jpg

Taking into consideration those 500 mb cases and the latest guidance, snowfall risks can probably be listed as follows:

Trace or Less:

Boston

New York City

Philadelphia

Washington, DC

1" or Less:

Atlantic City

Birmingham

Savannah

1"-3":

Atlanta

Charleston

2"-4"

Charlotte

Columbia

Richmond

Wilmington, NC

3"-6":

Raleigh

6" or More:

Norfolk

Thanks Don...Appreciate you stopping by w/ your thoughts!

Archived