Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in GA the trend is slightly down for qpf on most models. Another factor is the really dry surface air, virga will eat up some of the snow methinks. A trace to none northside, 1" or less downtown and up to 2-3" far southside seems like a safe forecast. Not as good as the Carolinas, but if I do get an inch I will take it.

At this point I would be surprised if they didn't raise WSW regardless of what the EURO says.

They do have WSW now. 

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

351 AM EST MON JAN 27 2014

...WINTER STORM POSSIBLE FOR ROUGHLY THE SOUTHEAST HALF OF CENTRAL

NORTH CAROLINA LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

A pretty amazing rollercoaster ride the past 24 hours, which is to be expected when it comes to winter weather in the Southeast.  Had the 18z GFS solution held, I don't know if the AMWX server would have survived!  It looks like a conservative, middle-of-the road solution appears to be where most of us west of the Carolinas are headed.  The extreme totals that the NAM and GFS were hinting at appear to be off the table, nevertheless it should still be at least a moderate impact event in parts of central and south Georgia.  Still hard to tell just how far north the precip will extend, but as Robert said, there are likely to be some surprises.

IP accumulations will cut down on our overall totals, but if that helps us avoid the dreaded ZR, I'm all for it!  A blend of the models should give us 1-2" of sleet topped off with 2" of snow if we can get the transition to take place early enough...otherwise, it might be a central Georgia sleetfest.  Tony, wax up your sled and head down this way!

Looking forward to updated thoughts from Delta and Candyman.

They do have WSW now. 

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

351 AM EST MON JAN 27 2014

...WINTER STORM POSSIBLE FOR ROUGHLY THE SOUTHEAST HALF OF CENTRAL

NORTH CAROLINA LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

I'm sorry I meant winter storm warning.

You RDU folks should take you .5 and run. Im sitting here hoping for a dusting! Y'all are about to get .5 and complaining. C'mon. It was looking like nothing a couple of days ago. But I suspect a good snow for most. Especially how bad models are handling it! Good luck everyone.

Not complaining...just commenting on the trend and how it seems counter to what some of the other guidance is showing.  5 inches of snow would be awesome!  More would be great, but nobody's complaining about 5 inches.

Thanks to all who weighed in with context!

Here in GA the trend is slightly down for qpf on most models. Another factor is the really dry surface air, virga will eat up some of the snow methinks. A trace to none northside, 1" or less downtown and up to 2-3" far southside seems like a safe forecast. Not as good as the Carolinas, but if I do get an inch I will take it.

Yea, it doesn't look great for us in AL/GA unless you are in the southern sections. Now, if the s/w can kick east under the northern stream (which has to dig more west) things could get a little better.

Are we still acting on the assumption of 10:1 ratio here? I would assume a little higher based on the overnight temps when the bulk of the snow falls. If we do get a lot that heavy wet stuff could be a problem. I already lost a ton of trees on my property from the severe storms a few weekends ago.

Yup. Sounds right. Its hard to get 15:1. At most the SREF members doing about 11:1 here.

Here is what I am thinking at the moment....

01272014firstcall.gif

The area in blue stands the best chance to see accumulating snow, and it may be a lot. I would not be shocked to see some areas receive 10 inches of snow from this set-up.

The area in white will see accumulating snow; however, it will not be as high as the area in blue.

The light blue shading is where we need to see the westward shift trend continue. This is definitely possible given the small features that will be affecting the pattern. The pieces of energy over the southwest United States may eject differently than what the models are showing, so there will be changes.

I did decide to go on the conservative side with this map.

I have a full update on my website and I go a little more in depth there. I am still not sure if this will be the final outcome. This is just what I have to go with at the moment. I will continue to post updates through out the day.

Guys, this is going to be a "look at the radar" and "look at where the 850 lines is setup on the RAP model" deal. This could be 1973 for Southern GA, Coastal FL, Coastal SC, Midlands of SC. Or this could end up in the crapper really quick. I don't think we are going to know until the event is actually happening.

Here is another reference to 1973.. just look at how the precip axis setup and where we are at currently. I think we are relying on the weather models too much to guide us this time around... and if the models were where they are now and we used today's computers back in 1973, I bet you they would have never honed in on the actual event correctly either. I think Robert wrote an excellent discussion basically saying the models were wrong.

EDIT: Check out Jordan's map above.. and this.. wow

1973.png

I agree with your amounts for the metro area. Will also probably see a bit more the further east you go.

I think if we somehow get more than expected it will be from the initial over running starting a few hours earlier than what is currently expected. Others have noted the fact the models will often under estimate the precip in situations such as this. The evidence of a good amount of moisture and degree of over running is the nam's and it's cousins showing a ton of virga initially. If that moisture can consolidate into one primary band, (which some do), those underneath it could get the snow to reach the ground a number of hours sooner than expected.

Overall, the models show me with around 0.25 to 0.40 liquid. Ratios don't look as high as they were in earlier runs when it was showing colder temps throughout, so 10:1 is probably about right.  So a 2 to 4 inch amount looks like a reasonable expectation for my neck of the woods. Although I would lean toward the 2 or 3 inch amount. I think athens will see 1 to 3 inches. There is such a sharp cutoff that it's really hard to nail down exactly how much everyone should expect. That cutoff line is probably not going to be resolved until a few hours before hand or even as it is happening. So although we can say in general terms where it could or will be right now, it certainly is not set in stone. So i'm taking my own thoughts on accumulation with a grain of salt. Very easily could be less or more...with a greater chance of it being less.

And it goes without saying the slightest move northwest or southeast can make a huge difference. As gsp noted, a single county could see a wide range of accumulation from a dusting to a few inches...which is pretty incredible when you think about it. But if you see those reflectivity images, you can see why.

Btw, about that virga. I see people subtract from a models accumulations to account for the virga/evaporation. But IIRC, from what I've been told in the past the amounts you see on a model does include evaporation. In other words, if a model shows 0.10 then 0.10 is actually what the model is showing reaching the ground..no deduction for virga is necessary. It's been awhile so I hope I'm remembering correctly. But I think you can see that really when the nam is showing tons of precip on it's reflectivity images but show no accumulations underneath that virga.

Hey guys I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in regards to interpreting and reading the models. Do have a quick question however. When looking at the 700RH maps and seeing the moisture being advected and having it read in the green "90" is that a good indication that we may be able to get some overruning into the area as the atmosphere is moistening up? Just curious because looking at the 12Z nam at around hours 27-36 it shows even my area getting into the best RH

Hey guys I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in regards to interpreting and reading the models. Do have a quick question however. When looking at the 700RH maps and seeing the moisture being advected and having it read in the green "90" is that a good indication that we may be able to get some overruning into the area as the atmosphere is moistening up? Just curious because looking at the 12Z nam at around hours 27-36 it shows even my area getting into the best RH

Between that and the 850 rh will give you a good indication where precip is.

Archived