• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

Man this is turning into a "bi-polar vortex" if you will.  The differences between runs over the weekend (yesterday especially) have been huge.  I'm getting the feeling that no model is going to have this thing worked out and it's going to end up being something we just have to wait and see how it plays out.  There are so many variables with this, and it's pretty clear that there will be a good storm SOMEWHERE in the SE...but watching models and going crazy over any small changes will drive us all to an early grave.  I'll still be here watching all the discussion though...thanks to all for the info and analysis!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess based on H5 out west through 18hours is this will be a slightly better version of 6z, slightly stronger ridge through WA, northern stream displaced just a little west from 6z, clipping extreme NE UT.  While a full on phase is off the table, a good bit of energy is sheared off the southern cutoff and ejected out ahead of the northern branch.

Guess based on H5 out west through 18hours is this will be a slightly better version of 6z, slightly stronger ridge through WA, northern stream displaced just a little west from 6z, clipping extreme NE UT.  While a full on phase is off the table, a good bit of energy is sheared off the southern cutoff and ejected out ahead of the northern branch.

@27 another change. Energy coming from the north is breaking away into two pieces with the western piece sinking further south. Southern energy is moving east. 

Hmmm, 12z NAM at 18 hours definitely struggling to focus on the southern energy -- big chunk breaking off and already into Mexico.

It's actually weaker.. more of the energy has been pulled out.. you can see by the dip in the trough base and a rise in temps over the SE. 

Seems like over the past few days the models have been up and down. A few runs would have precip further north and the next couple would bring it back south a bit. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if we get one more slight trend north before the nowcast begins. Let's see what the NAM says here in a few.

I can only hope it moves more north... I received a nice lesson from DaculaWeather (thanks) on "upslope conditions"...

maybe less depressed!!??

I think you mean suppressed. Of note, the models have been steadily backing off the super cold 850 temps up here in the Ohio Valley as we get closer to the "Arctic outbreak" today into Wednesday up here. No clue how that affects things downstream outside of allowing a more NW track as it's not as south to keep things S and E. Don't take my word on that though.

Bet Hi-Res looks descent with this setup. I have a hard time buying more precip not getting into NC at around 36. 

Agreed, the moisture is pretty deep through the layer, but the southern stream is still way west on this run...

The wild card remains the piece of energy over the southwest US.

Def. further NW with the precip shield @33 on the sfc. Still not where you or me want it but perhaps it's a trend. 

Should also note that the 540 line has moved up to the south side of ATL at 33hrs. That seems to be a good bit warmer than it has been, throwing more sleet into Central GA.

I think you mean suppressed. Of note, the models have been steadily backing off the super cold 850 temps up here in the Ohio Valley as we get closer to the "Arctic outbreak" today into Wednesday up here. No clue how that affects things downstream outside of allowing a more NW track as it's not as south to keep things S and E. Don't take my word on that though.

yes suppressed, got in a hurry, thanks for the information !

Archived