Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

Larry,

Correct me if I am wrong, but the finger that blows up over TN and N GA, looking at some of the simulated radar, it seems there is a "screw zone" between there and the I-85 corridor over GA.  Obviously south of the 85 corridor it looks a little more optimistic.

Thoughts?

The 12Z Euro ens suggests a good bit more south of I-85 vs. north. Then again, yesterday it had a good bit less for all ATL metro if I'm recalling correctly. Also, those NAM sims aren't nearly always that accurate. In general, the NAM overdoes things.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ice Storm warning now in effect for Charleston

I didn't see any updates from the NWS just yet, or upgrades.  I'm sure a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes WRT's to what kind of warnings to issue, given the predominant p-type issues.

EDIT:  NVM, I see the headlining in the ZFP products

The SREF plumes from 15z give GSO a mean of 3" of snow, but there's a lot of spread. There's a bunch of members with 4-7" and a lot of members with 0-1"... not a lot of middle ground.

CLT is a little more clustered with a mean of 3.33" There's a couple ridiculous members and a few duds, but every other ensemble member shows 1-5".

It's going to be interesting in the western Piedmont.

it's a good bit colder and actually looks to put a little more snow down in SC.  hour 39-42, 850-925mb temperatures crash with still decent precip rates ongoing.  still appears a lot of front end ZR/IP along the SC coast.

SF,

Do you think the 850's are too warm on the consensus due to the fresh supply of Arctic air not being modeled cold enough? Now it is in the +3 to +5 range, which is very much within the ZR threat zone, before changing to IP and then S.

SF,

Do you think the 850's are too warm on the consensus due to the fresh supply of Arctic air not being modeled cold enough? Now it is in the +3 to +5 range, which is very much within the ZR threat zone, before changing to IP and then S.

Well, the transition line has a shallow layer of arctic air, there's certainly more chances of dangerous ZR accumulations occurring before the warm nose cools, unfortunately.  

I didn't see any updates from the NWS just yet, or upgrades.  I'm sure a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes WRT's to what kind of warnings to issue, given the predominant p-type issues.

Charleston County in the Ice Storm warning...Berkeley and Dorchester in the WSW as they add in the 2-4" of snow.  Probably going to be misleading for a lot of people as some parts of those counties dip farther south than Charleston, but those are the facts of county-by-county warnings.

Meh... not in my book

Agree-

That appears to be an older map that Holcomb posted from 11Alive.  He does not have the Winter Storm Warning areas highlighted on his forecast Map for Georgia.  So his forecast totals will most likely be updated

It is in the zones. Ice storm warning for the entire coastal corridor CHS to SAV. Ice accum. of 0.35-0.6 CHS and 0.25-0.50" SAV. For SAV, that would be the worst since 1/1922 if it verifies!! They're going colder than the model consensus of 32-33 in SAV and are going with upper 20's with ZR Tue night followed by a change to snow late Tue night.. Going to be a very interesting Tuesday into Wed.!

Charleston County in the Ice Storm warning...Berkeley and Dorchester in the WSW as they add in the 2-4" of snow.  Probably going to be misleading for a lot of people as some parts of those counties dip farther south than Charleston, but those are the facts of county-by-county warnings.

I had edited my original post, and saw it in the ZFP.   yeah, you're right, because based on the ZFP itself, over .50" of ice accretions expected before the changeover. 

Definitely the potential to be the worst icestorm since Feb 1979.  

The SREF plumes from 15z give GSO a mean of 3" of snow, but there's a lot of spread. There's a bunch of members with 4-7" and a lot of members with 0-1"... not a lot of middle ground.

CLT is a little more clustered with a mean of 3.33" There's a couple ridiculous members and a few duds, but every other ensemble member shows 1-5".

Maybe for w.piedmont , but foothills looks rough going!

Looking rough up this way!!!

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE

AFTERNOON. MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 20S. NORTH WINDS

AROUND 10 MPH IN THE MORNING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE.

CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 1 ABOVE IN

THE MORNING.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE

EVENING. COLD WITH LOWS AROUND 14. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS.

CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

trying to find a flake! :snowwindow:

The Hky mean is 3.00". I would be happy with that.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC  

412 PM EST MON JAN 27 2014  

...DANGEROUS WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA  

AND SOUTHEAST GEORGIA TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY...  

.AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL MOVE SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE AREA  

OVERNIGHT...WITH A WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING ON THE FRONT  

OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST BY LATE TUESDAY. THE LOW WILL THEN LIFT  

QUICKLY NORTHEAST OVER THE ATLANTIC INTO WEDNESDAY. PRECIPITATION  

IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TUESDAY...BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES LATE  

TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT...BEFORE SLOWLY TAPERING OFF FROM WEST  

TO EAST ON WEDNESDAY. WITH COLD AIR IN PLACE...THERE IS A  

POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATION OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET  

AND SNOW.  

Maybe for w.piedmont , but foothills looks rough going!

Looking rough up this way!!!

.TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE

AFTERNOON. MUCH COOLER WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 20S. NORTH WINDS

AROUND 10 MPH IN THE MORNING...BECOMING LIGHT AND VARIABLE.

CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 1 ABOVE IN

THE MORNING.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW IN THE

EVENING. COLD WITH LOWS AROUND 14. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS.

CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT.

trying to find a flake! :snowwindow:

It's like we have a wall around us in Surry County. Looking at some of the models they still want to bring moisture up our way.

Looking at the latest RAP at 18 hours that energy is very N/S oriented and almost dipping into Arizona. 18z GFS had it more E/W oriented and as soon as it got close to AZ it jumped east. We need to play close attention to what the RAP does with that energy. If it can dig a little more I suspect you may get some interaction with that southern vort. At the very least it should help with more precip as it moves further east...again if it digs further than the NAM and keeps a more neutral orientation. 

Yeah I just don't see how the models continue to maintain that baja low and even show it closed at times. Just no way really its being ripped to pieces by the N/S and absorb into the NS aswell. In fact does look like its tracking east atm so it may just get fully absorbed.

Which should sharpen the N/S trough and would be a good thing.

post-7245-0-44182500-1390858472_thumb.pn

Wow -- nice little east shift with southern stream energy on 18z GFS vs. 12z run -- too late to matter?

I don't think it matters much but if the GFS is catching on to something and it can speed up a little more it will. Either way nice improvement on the GFS. I wouldn't be surprised if MBY didn't finish with like .30 or so on that run. 

Archived