Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is trying to bloom more QPF...its getting there, but I noticed its colder as well.

I really really really hope the colder trends like much of these arctic blasts all winter long are now occurring, and continue to trend colder.   the explosion of QPF could deepen the diabatic processes too and might make some difference in areas progged to get a major ice storm hit.

Can't tell why it went crazy with QPF, looked like 12z to me. We got suckered yesterday with the 18z run.

That's why they call it Happy Hour!

Anyway looking at 18z gfs and hr18 RAP, it lends a lot of support to what Robert was stating earlier and some other mets/ as well. Overruning is always forecasted poorly by models. They have a habit of not throwing the moisture further north and sooner than what usually ends up occurring.

I really really really hope the colder trends like much of these arctic blasts all winter long are now occurring, and continue to trend colder.   the explosion of QPF could deepen the diabatic processes too and might make some difference in areas progged to get a major ice storm hit.

gfs and nam have trended colder since last night,  when yesterday they were showing mostly frz rain now gfs and nam are showing a good but of sleet before the changeover.  i am hoping for minimal frz rain here.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC  412 PM EST MON JAN 27 2014    ...DANGEROUS WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT SOUTHEAST SOUTH CAROLINA  AND SOUTHEAST GEORGIA TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY...    .AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL MOVE SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE AREA  OVERNIGHT...WITH A WAVE OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING ON THE FRONT  OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST BY LATE TUESDAY. THE LOW WILL THEN LIFT  QUICKLY NORTHEAST OVER THE ATLANTIC INTO WEDNESDAY. PRECIPITATION  IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP TUESDAY...BECOMING HEAVY AT TIMES LATE  TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT...BEFORE SLOWLY TAPERING OFF FROM WEST  TO EAST ON WEDNESDAY. WITH COLD AIR IN PLACE...THERE IS A  POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT ACCUMULATION OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET  AND SNOW.  

My guess is you and all your neighbors are sans chainsaws and generators?  MIght be time to make sure your neighborhood at least has one saw :)  Tony

I agree Mike, and I honestly think they will.  The cold air has beat the models many times.  

Not sure how much of the 80Z GFS to believe just remembering what it did to us yesterday

We're starting to get really close to the event. At this point you want any west trend, or precip increase, you can get.  

At hour 48 -- 24 hour precip totals between .5 and .75 at RDU airport. Even taking the lower number .5 (maybe 6") would be very welcome.

The 18z tries to phase the two systems... But lets remember what the 18z did lastnight before we try and draw conclusions. 

Which two systems? From what I see it doesn't phase at all with the southern stream. It's digging further south than last nights runs which should be helping with lift. Someone can correct if I'm wrong on that but that's what it looks to me. Let's also remember systems have typically over performed on moisture these last few months as well. 

The 18z tries to phase the two systems... But lets remember what the 18z did lastnight before we try and draw conclusions. 

The GFS sometimes has significant weather events where a particular off hour run in the days leading up to it, be it the 06 or 18Z is haywire every damn day, I recall this occurring on numerous occasions, the 06Z run may be fine but for 3 straight days the 18Z does something odd...often times, the same thing too each day...never figured out why but it happens, again there is some support from the RAP/RGEM on its idea but lets see if it waffles back at 00z.

Yea. I'm liking the odds for MBY.  I hope the RAP can get that southern energy moving but I think it's starting to look totally out of play here. 

I could be wrong, but I don’t think this is accurate.  Take a look at 700mb RH on the 18z GFS at 18hrs.  You can see a stream of moisture originating from the southern energy in mexico and feeding all the way up into that finger of moisture that runs into the mountains of NC.

I feel like the further east that feature gets, the more moisture our northern trough is able to scrap off of it.  

Which two systems? From what I see it doesn't phase at all with the southern stream. It's digging further south than last nights runs which should be helping with lift. Someone can correct if I'm wrong on that but that's what it looks to me. Let's also remember systems have typically over performed on moisture these last few months as well. 

form my point i see the two PVA interacting to deepen the trough. If the two troughs can combine again, then it will deepen. 

The GFS sometimes has significant weather events where a particular off hour run in the days leading up to it, be it the 06 or 18Z is haywire every damn day, I recall this occurring on numerous occasions, the 06Z run may be fine but for 3 straight days the 18Z does something odd...often times, the same thing too each day...never figured out why but it happens, again there is some support from the RAP/RGEM on its idea but lets see if it waffles back at 00z.

I hope it shows the same thing at 0z :) 

gfs and nam have trended colder since last night,  when yesterday they were showing mostly frz rain now gfs and nam are showing a good but of sleet before the changeover.  i am hoping for minimal frz rain here.

we all are.  I would take a significant sleet storm over ZR anyday, and I'm just hopeful that warm nose cools more significantly than that's being shown, NAM/GFS taking steps in that direction, but would it be enough to save many from a severe ice storm beforehand.   precip rates could be quite sufficient to do so.

Archived