• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
February 2014 Pattern Discussion Thread

free_man

You know the other thing that is wavering are the heights by the Davis Straits too. Models seem to have a more +NAO there which also is causing them to come closer regarding storm track. However, the blocking is strong enough such that if any piece breaks off or branches over..that storm sure ain't cutting. The blocking in AK if anything has been steady to slightly increasing.

I sit here looking at all the pieces and this reeks of model mayhem...perhaps the toughest pattern yet to resolve for New England. The Plains are easy...cold and more cold....but the question becomes the populated northeast. If that isn't enough...good luck figuring out which s/w will cause a storm. 

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well lets see what model is correct w MJO .

Phase 6 rain

Or phase 7 white

Meh, more to it than that. That is a part of it, but the ridge retro is something that has picked up a little steam. 

There are some factors that are leading to the MJO RMM plots weakening and dying out when in fact the MJO isn't weakening..there are just competing factors that are negating the signal. The amount of retrogression of the ridge is somewhat in question from what I gather and models might be trying to retro this more than it should. The other question is what happens by the arctic and Davis Straits. The GFS op tries to have some weenie -NAO ridging. 

Meh, more to it than that. That is a part of it, but the ridge retro is something that has picked up a little steam.

There are some factors that are leading to the MJO RMM plots weakening and dying out when in fact the MJO isn't weakening..there are just competing factors that are negating the signal. The amount of retrogression of the ridge is somewhat in question from what I gather and models might be trying to retro this more than it should. The other question is what happens by the arctic and Davis Straits. The GFS op tries to have some weenie -NAO ridging.

Hopefully the ridging was over retro'd

Scott is there anything that makes u think gfs is right with weenie ridging

Hopefully the ridging was over retro'd

Scott is there anything that makes u think gfs is right with weenie ridging

Nothing stands out to me. GEFS rolling out now and seem to have some higher heights there. The day 8-9 event is there and still cold on them. The SB storm seems touchy. Weak and a little mild for some..especially s coast.

LOL, I know I was mad busy just got on at like 10. Epic just epic southern storm progged. Pawleys Island jackpot, beach, babes, beer cancel

If I can't golf, nobody can!

Pretty epic forecasts in that area right now. GFS spitting out nearly an inch of ice at ILM. It's pretty rare to see significant icing on the coast of New England let alone North Carolina.

If I can't golf, nobody can!

Pretty epic forecasts in that area right now. GFS spitting out nearly an inch of ice at ILM. It's pretty rare to see significant icing on the coast of New England let alone North Carolina.

Having grown up partly around Charleston, SC I got a kick out of reading their AFD this morning and remembering what it's like down there when anything frozen appears. Should be fun to watch.

Euro about to make Eyewall swan dive for Saturday.

That is quite the mini-torch on Saturday...low going up through Toronto. That's a SE MA special for 50F.

Kind weird how far NW the Euro is on that system given other guidance...but we're getting to about D5. So someone will have to make a move soon.

That is quite the mini-torch on Saturday...low going up through Toronto. That's a SE MA special for 50F.

Kind weird how far NW the Euro is on that system given other guidance...but we're getting to about D5. So someone will have to make a move soon.

558 thicknesses with srly flow would get a lot of us into the 50s if that happened. GEFS weren't pretty either despite the cold look, so something has to give.  

I think GFS had support of its ensembles.  If Euro Op does as well, then we have a true war.  If they are both supported by their ensembles then I would take the compromise, allowing for each model's biases.

And then....as Eyewall plunges off the cliff he will grow pretty angel wings and glide softly onto a bed of white goose down feathers.

Let's see. GFS vs Euro at d5 with major H5 differences. I think I know where I would lean. Hopefully the GFS scores a coup though.

I still doubt the op gets that wound up. 

Also looking down the road..you can see how the PV is your friend with confluence on the 12z euro op. That will change about 15 times.

Let's see. GFS vs Euro at d5 with major H5 differences. I think I know where I would lean. Hopefully the GFS scores a coup though.

GFS showed the way on last weeks storm, the Euro totally caved to it, and then the GFS ended up being a bit too amped.  But the Euro was way off 5 days out.

(disclaimer:  this was written with a slight sense of panic moving into my chest and through my fingers.)

Archived