joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2014 Pattern Discussion Thread

free_man

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melting down? People are talking about weather. That's what the board is here for.

Again it's borderline impossible to even think about discussing a cutter or non-deep winter solution without starting a sh*tshow.

It seems like most accept that it could go either way...can't we just discuss the possibilities?

Huh? Of course it's ok to talk about cutters to Montreal. We never said it wasn't. It's ok to talk about anything on a forum. Snow , cold, two faced folks , rain, snow etc etc. but there's been several meltdowns already this morning. But to base those on a bogus euro run is premature.

Anyone discounting a certain track at 200+ hours out should be weenie-tagged. They are all on the table. Some are a little more likely than others, but nothing is discounted.

I think the further north you are in the 2/4 system, probably the better...is my prelim feeling on it.

Anyone discounting a certain track at 200+ hours out should be weenie-tagged. They are all on the table. Some are a little more likely than others, but nothing is discounted.

I think the further north you are in the 2/4 system, probably the better...is my prelim feeling on it.

Just looking at the Euro now, and you can see why it cuts.  Pray those 2 pieces of energy don't phase so early.

Classic -PNA folks. Monster AK ridge retros and -PNA signal grows. Of course nuances in the flow will determine if we are green or white and these features cannot be determined this far out. Remember when we said be careful what you wish for regarding troughing out west and more storms?

The good news for those keeping score (snowfall tallies, etc.), even if the Euro op is correct and we see more cutters than the U.S. Coast Guard, we'll still likely have front-end overrunning snows accumulate before being quickly washed away.

Classic -PNA folks. Monster AK ridge retros and -PNA signal grows. Of course nuances in the flow will determine if we are green or white and these features cannot be determined this far out. Remember when we said be careful what you wish for regarding troughing out west and more storms?

I do, and I'll take it.

Sign me up.

Its either going to snow, or warm up.

Anything is better than another cold, dry oes cj.

the people claiming meltdowns and panic seem to be those w the biggest emotional responses to those posts themselves

Another set of runs tonite will prob bring another set of posts

If it rains at least Bob will post more during the run up to storms

With that said if models hone in on huge -PNA and +NAO AND a relaxed polar vortex ...bring out the rain gear.

Huh? Of course it's ok to talk about cutters to Montreal. We never said it wasn't. It's ok to talk about anything on a forum. Snow , cold, two faced folks , rain, snow etc etc. but there's been several meltdowns already this morning. But to base those on a bogus euro run is premature.

I see what you did there.

Lol

On a serious note, what makes the -PNA so awful for February, do wave length changes put us generally in a worse spot w trough axis to our west?

Or are we generally to far south in a gradient patter with -pna

It doesn't have to be bad if the ridge is aligned in a certain way and ridging continues near the arctic. Also, how in the world are we able to tell were the rain/snow line is? We can't, which is why the panic posts are silly.

It doesn't have to be bad if the ridge is aligned in a certain way and ridging continues near the arctic. Also, how in the world are we able to tell were the rain/snow line is? We can't, which is why the panic posts are silly.

Ok i just saw ur post that said -PNA in feb sucks and wondered why or if there was something u were seeing w this one or feb in general having one

Besides arctic ridging could the polar vortex position help us or hurt is regardless of arctic ridge

the people claiming meltdowns and panic seem to be those w the biggest emotional responses to those posts themselves

Another set of runs tonite will prob bring another set of posts

If it rains at least Bob will post more during the run up to storms

It's the folks who have bought too many shares of stock in winter. Their yearly income and sanity tied directly to winters performance. It spikes, they run streets naked....it dives, they put their clothes back on and tear their eyeballs out in the basement.

I don't know if that Meteostar 16 day model is accurate or where they get their info but I really like the layout for a numbie like me that doesn't know anything.  I do know that the 850mb on the 2/4 range was maxing at 3+ on the chart yesterday, way below it now.  Of course, I have absolutely no idea how significant the 850mb temp is but anything above zero anywhere on the chart and I start huffing and hyperventilating and going oh no the sky is falling in ways I don't like.  All I know is too much ice for a fat bike and I would be dead if I tried to ride the road bike outside so forgive me if the fumes from the paint cans have eaten my brain with the 12 hours of riding to nowhere every week down cellar. 

Just b/c it appears the potential pattern configuration for the first part of February isn't similar to what we've experienced thus far doesn't mean the pattern won't deliver at all.  If anything the pattern at least looks to remain rather active which is always a positive.  Also, just b/c a model is suggesting a cutter now for such a far timeframe doesn't mean anything really.  A slight shift in the height field and a complete different scenario could unfold.  

Ok i just saw ur post that said -PNA in feb sucks and wondered why or if there was something u were seeing w this one or feb in general having one

Besides arctic ridging could the polar vortex position help us or hurt is regardless of arctic ridge

In general is tries to warm the east coast in Feb so it isn't the best here....probably a wavelength thing. Obviously if the PV retros to western Canada then it would be bad for us, but a highly caution the bridge jumpers to hold tight for a few days. We simply cannot determine 100 mile differences in storm track beyond 5 days out.

:lol:

Then if it ends up being ugly, the storm arrives to a bunch of "well you folks got what you wanted...a cutter in early February like you've been talking about for a week"...as if there's no differences between desires and meteorological discussion.

Hopefully that's not the case here.

Just b/c it appears the potential pattern configuration for the first part of February isn't similar to what we've experienced thus far doesn't mean the pattern won't deliver at all.  If anything the pattern at least looks to remain rather active which is always a positive.  Also, just b/c a model is suggesting a cutter now for such a far timeframe doesn't mean anything really.  A slight shift in the height field and a complete different scenario could unfold.  

That is why I like it. I'm going to have gone over a month without a snignificant snowfall.

Archived