• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 Event

Poimen

There was once I remember in 02 or 03 that we had a clipperish system that came through here and we picked up 2-3 inches and it started with temps around 40 and was in upper 20s when it stopped and around Gaffney, they got 8-9 inches

I bet that was the storm I was talking about in Jan 2003 here is the snowfall map a real bookend type storm the mts and Hatteras where the big winner a real rare storm though all things considered

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20030123/

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks rough here.

Archdale NC 7 Day Forecast

Raleigh, NC

NWS Weather Forecast Office

THIS
AFTERNOON

skc.png

Sunny

High: 48 °F

TONIGHT

nskc.png

Clear

Low: 28 °F

M.L.KING
DAY

few.png

Sunny

High: 59 °F

MONDAY
NIGHT

nsct.png

Partly
Cloudy

Low: 33 °F

TUESDAY

sct.png

Mostly
Sunny

High: 41 °F

TUESDAY
NIGHT

nfew.png

Mostly
Clear

Low: 17 °F

WEDNESDAY

few.png

Sunny

High: 31 °F

WEDNESDAY
NIGHT

nsct.png

Partly
Cloudy

Low: 19 °F

THURSDAY

sct.png

Mostly
Sunny

High: 32 °F

•  

I bet that was the storm I was talking about in Jan 2003 here is the snowfall map a real bookend type storm the mts and Hatteras where the big winner a real rare storm though all things considered

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20030123/

attachicon.gifsnow_20030123.gif

That's my favorite storm... just came thru (don't think it was forecasted?) and bombed out pretty much over MBY

Wow, there's a couple of SREF members that go nuts on Tuesday.

Sure are.  Wow.  Thanks for pointing this out.

Looks like a .15 maximum in WNC close to HKY on the SREF

Individual members are for all intents and purposes worthless, but they are fun to look at.  Keeping in mind  Brad P.'s blog post yesterday, one SREF member spits out 8 inches of snow at Hickory, and another spits out 6 inches on Tuesday night.  Charlotte's data is similar.  The average SREF snowfall for Hickory as of 9Z is now just north of 1 inch, while at 3Z it was 0.01 inch.  Big swing in the data, and it's not just because of those two crazy outliers.  I count about one half of the SREF members having snowfall amounts right at 1 inch of snowfall or greater for Tuesday night at Hickory.  But, this has just sprung out of nowhere.  It's hard to express how differently the 3Z and 9Z runs look.

Just playing negative nancy, but tomorrow is going to be in the 60s outside the mtns and our Tuesday high is low 50s, the timing on this is Tuesday night? All that moisture before the cold would just be turrible

The SREF model has no problem dropping the temp, like a rock:  The SREF mean projected temp at Hickory goes from roughly 55 F on Monday late afternoon to 10 F on Wednesday at dawn.

YYWK3Bh.png

Nice trends today. Love to see (1) this event come to fruition (2) Get the qpf up to .25+. (3) See the Nam/GFS give a vote of confidence before kickoff time (4) get rid of the shadow for the foothill guys. Happy hour will be interesting, hopefully the pos trends will continue.

Thanks for the love, NCSNOW.  I don't like to publicly complain about this issue, because we all have reasons for why it won't snow in our locales, and no one really likes a whiner.  But, the snow shadow of the Apps is quite frustrating.

This incredibly wet and snowy trend on the SREF is so abruptly different than what has been forecasted recently.  It lends credence to proceeding with caution for all of us.  The 15Z data should be out relatively soon, and it may completely reverse course.  Time will tell.  But the trend is temporarily a gift to snow-starved citizens of the SE.

Now this system has upper-level support if the NAM is to be believed. I'm optimistic about this system now :)

1. the jet stream is above and west of the surface low (negating the jet upstream)

2. the trough is diffluent.

3. the negative trough is west and above of the low. 

nam_namer_045_300_wnd_ht.gif

Wow I hope this trend continues.

As much as .25-.5" falls. Temps look to crash in the mid 20s. Snow ratios would be higher than the typical 10:1.

It's actually hard to even get to 10:1. It has to be particularly cold at all levels. I doubt we'd get 10:1 with this, but much better than the usual 4:1-ish that we get.

Not sure if you guys have ever heard of the CRAS model, but it's more weeniesh than the DGEX!

I'm pretty sure this model have never gotten anything right, but might as well post it sense every other model is posted.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/cras45_NA/12/index_pcp_l_loop.html

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/cras45_NA/12/model_l.html

RAH starting to put their two cents towards the potential event. This is very typical of how they step towards an event and by stepping that means they can step back as well. So as of right now, they are mentioning a dusting along and north of US 64.

TUE AND TUE NIGHT: A COUPLE OF NORTHERN AND ARCTIC STREAM SHORTWAVE
TROUGHS WILL PIVOT EASTWARD AND ASSUME AN INCREASINGLY NEUTRAL TILT
AS THE NEARLY PHASED SHORTWAVE TROUGH AXIS CROSSES THE APPALACHIANS
AND CAROLINAS THROUGH TUE EVENING...AND CONSEQUENTLY CENTERS 150
METER MID LEVEL HEIGHT FALLS OVER THE CAROLINAS BY 00Z WED. GUIDANCE
IS IN DECENT AGREEMENT SHOWING A COUPLE OF LOBES OF RELATIVELY DEEP
MOISTURE SWEEPING EASTWARD ACROSS CENTRAL NC. THE FIRST...LIKELY IN
THE FORM OF VIRGA OWING TO A RELATIVELY DEEP AND DRY SUB-CLOUD
LAYER...WILL CROSS DURING THE MORNING...WHILE THE SECOND - A DEEPER
AND LARGER ONE IN ASSOCIATION WITH THE PRIMARY TROUGH AXIS - WILL
PASS DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. THE LATTER ONE HAS THE
POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE A LITTLE LIGHT PRECIPITATION AS THE PARENT
FORCING FOR ASCENT INDUCES CYCLOGENESIS OFF THE NC/VA COAST. NWP
GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED SOMEWHAT WETTER WRT QPF...HIGHLIGHTED BY A
LITTLE GREATER THAN A TENTH OF AN INCH LIQUID EQUIVALENT INDICATED
BY BOTH THE ECMWF AND GEM OVER THE NC NORTHERN PIEDMONT AND COASTAL
PLAIN TUE AFTERNOON AND EVE.

TEMPERATURES SHOULD REBOUND THROUGH EARLY AFTERNOON...INTO THE LOWER
40S NW PIEDMONT TO AROUND 50 DEGREES OVER THE EASTERN SANDHILLS AND
SOUTHERN COASTAL PLAIN...BEFORE THE CLOUDS THICKEN AND THE ARCTIC
COLD FRONT ATTENDING THE UPPER TROUGH AXIS PLUNGES SOUTHEASTWARD
THROUGH CENTRAL NC. PARTIAL THICKNESSES AND BUFR WET BULB THERMAL
PROFILES WOULD SUPPORT A SIMILAR P-TYPE TRANSITION AS EARLIER IN THE
WEEK...WITH LIGHT RAIN TRANSITIONING TO A LITTLE LIGHT SNOW. UP TO A
DUSTING WOULD ACCORDINGLY BE POSSIBLE ROUGHLY ALONG AND NORTH OF HWY
RANGING TO LITTLE OR NOTHING (LIQUID OR OTHERWISE) OVER THE
SOUTHERN PIEDMONT.

Wow, nice little system. Shift that bad-boy south just a bit, and even our southern friends south of us can cash in.

Our southern friends do tend to be south us.  ;):P

The 15Z SREF mean has dropped a few of the extreme outliers for Hickory, but it does still show a mean snowfall of 1 inch.  Raleigh's about the same.  Greensboro is closer to 2 inches on the mean and Charlotte is near 0.5 inch.

Nice to see the trend continue in a good direction.  I realize that 1 inch of snow is relatively small in the grand scheme of things, but I must admit that I would be incredibly excited by just this small result should it come to fruition.

Our southern friends do tend to be south us.  ;):P

The 15Z SREF mean has dropped a few of the extreme outliers for Hickory, but it does still show a mean snowfall of 1 inch.  Raleigh's about the same.  Greensboro is closer to 2 inches on the mean and Charlotte is near 0.5 inch.

Nice to see the trend continue in a good direction.  I realize that 1 inch of snow is relatively small in the grand scheme of things, but I must admit that I would be incredibly excited by just this small result should it come to fruition.

I haven't seen an inch of snow since December 26, 2010. I'll take it. Of course, more would be great.

Not sure if you guys have ever heard of the CRAS model, but it's more weeniesh than the DGEX!

I'm pretty sure this model have never gotten anything right, but might as well post it sense every other model is posted.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/cras45_NA/12/index_pcp_l_loop.html

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/cras/cras45_NA/12/model_l.html

That sucker would even have us getting some sort of frozen precip.

:violin:

Archived