Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2nd/3rd Storm Observations

Bostonseminole

((((d-_- B)))), on 02 Jan 2014 - 7:10 PM, said:

Upped again

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Nice!!!

I just drove my daughter's friend home.  Visibility sucked from a safety standpoint.  From a weather standpoint, it was great.  Heavy snow/blowing snow.  Plow hadn't been by in a few hours so several inches of snow on the roads.....a lone of tracks served as a guide to keep me on the road.

Nice little storm even if I'm only giong to get a 1/3 of the jackpot.

5.4/-5, probably closing in on 6".

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... love it when folks just get ripped with snow. 

Kevin, I've said it before and I'll say it again: you are right more than you are wrong.  And all the drama and banter helps makes this board what it is.

Congrats on your wild prediction, and keep it up -- it wouldn't be the same here without you.

Yea I had no idea the OES was going to be this incredible thus far. 30" totals are definitely in play in Essex County. To have 15" inch amounts under what look like 20-25 dBZ echoes all day is rather impressive but not surprising given the dendritic snow growth being down to the ocean floor. 

Measurements are going to be all over the place.  Besides the problem with wind when you have snow at 5-10F the "fluff" factor really comes into play.  New snow weighs down the column so while it snows it compresses.  Waiting and taking a final measurement is going to give you a very different result then clearing the snowboard every 3 or 6 hours. 

I'm safe in Boston.

That was.... The WORST DRIVE EVER BY A MILE!!!! Accident on 95, could barely get going from a standstill, EVERY Road from RI to Boston was covered in 0.5" of hard icy snow, no matter the Highway or back road.

Unbelievable what happens when it scores even a little BUT the temperature is under 20*. When snow does Not melt, Total Disasters occur.

Unless it's cold enough so that the snow blows right off of the highways like it did here today. No salting FTW.

Measurements are going to be all over the place.  Besides the problem with wind when you have snow at 5-10F the "fluff" factor really comes into play.  New snow weighs down the column so while it snows it compresses.  Waiting and taking a final measurement is going to give you a very different result then clearing the snowboard every 3 or 6 hours

3 would be a no-no anyways. But I agree...there will be big differences in reports over short distances.

Dumping sugar here the past 3 hours 5"-5.5". 

Downtown Greenfield was a ghost town.  Roads all packed powder.

Just about the same here--just tried measuring for whatever that was worth.  I'm coming up with 6" but really it's at best close with all the blowing going on.

I didn't pass a single car when I dropped my daughters friend off.   Oh, wait a minute.  This is GC--we don't pass a car 90% of the time.

Archived