Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

Will be documenting this event over in its designated thread located here:

http://www.americanw...t/#entry2623707

Come join us in the discussion if you guys want! Will be posting videos/pictures/radar loops in there to put together a montage of this potential historic event.

Do you guys know if Eastern is in the Tug yet, if you guys could direct him to that thread it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be documenting this event over in its designated thread located here:

http://www.americanw...t/#entry2623707

Come join us in the discussion if you guys want! Will be posting videos/pictures/radar loops in there to put together a montage of this potential historic event.

Do you guys know if Eastern is in the Tug yet, if you guys could direct him to that thread it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was actually about ready to ask about this since I hadn't seen a post from him all day. Hopefully he made it all the way up there, Lowville, NY has 43-59" in their point and click haha. 

I think it might get colder than foretasted. Looking at the projected 7pm temps most places are colder than what was projected. Currently 0.

the rate of temperatures falling out in western pa is slowing to about a degree an hour now... I would expect similar to occur from west to east over the next few hours... I am down to 11 at 8pm with MDT at 17

I think it might get colder than foretasted. Looking at the projected 7pm temps most places are colder than what was projected. Currently 0.

It's def possible, these arctic airmasses can overachieve the model guidance. The Euro has generally been the coldest guidance on this airmass, suggesting -10 to -12ºF tonight for places like JST/AOO/UNV. That's actually a couple degrees warmer than a couple days ago, where it was around -15ºF. JST is already down to a whopping -7ºF with a -15ºF dewpoint.. so I certainly wouldn't be surprised is they tried to make a run at -15ºF or so. AOO and UNV might hit -10F. 

It's def possible, these arctic airmasses can overachieve the model guidance. The Euro has generally been the coldest guidance on this airmass, suggesting -10 to -12ºF tonight for places like JST/AOO/UNV. That's actually a couple degrees warmer than a couple days ago, where it was around -15ºF. JST is already down to a whopping -7ºF with a -15ºF dewpoint.. so I certainly wouldn't be surprised is they tried to make a run at -15ºF or so. AOO and UNV might hit -10F. 

Agree. I think maybe -12 is possible here in Northern Cambria. Won't touch the -16 from a few years ago. Currently -1. 

Yeah JST might have a shot at -15°.  I'm thinking -6° to -9° in State College.  Down to 1° now in Bellefonte and just had a hellacious gust roar through...absolutely brutal out there.

the rate of temperatures falling out in western pa is slowing to about a degree an hour now... I would expect similar to occur from west to east over the next few hours... I am down to 11 at 8pm with MDT at 17

I just went to fill the wifes car with gas so shr doesnt have to fill tomorrow, i had 10, wind is brutal!

Temp continues to fall fairly rapidly here since 3:00pm.  Was 34 degrees back then and now it's down to 10F with dewpoint -6F.  So, a drop of 24 degrees in 6 hours, and still dropping.

Oh how I wish we could bottle up this weather event and deliver it to Al Gore.  "How's that GW working out for ya, Al??:

Meanwhile, latest Euro Weeklies....hmmm...sound familiar? Courtesy Phillywx.com's Euro Weeklies 1/6 thread:

week 1 (this week) starts off very cold but moderates towards the weekend.
week 2 starts off with +epo/-pna with east coast ridge. Finishes with -epo/+pna troff settles in east
week 3 -epo/+pna. Probably the coldest week of the run. Also looks like the stj makes a brief return week 2 into week 3
week 4 -epo /-pna, weak se ridge (basically december pattern)

weeks 2-4 PV over northern hudson bay.

I can almost hear David Byrne singing...same as it ever was...same as it ever was

I got greyhounds. They run out, do their thing, run back inside.

i lost all snow cover where the sun hit today so he is able to pick up scents again and it distracts him from doing his business...

Pittsburgh down to -4... now 1 degree from record low for today... how often do you see record lows fall at 12:01 am?

12 degrees currently after a morning high of 51. A 39 degree drop since 4:00AM. Since my station doesn't keep daily records, I suppose tomorrow's high, which should be at 12:01AM, should be about what today's low is going to end up being. At least prior to sunrise. It'll be interesting to see the actual daily range.

Meanwhile, latest Euro Weeklies....hmmm...sound familiar? Courtesy Phillywx.com's Euro Weeklies 1/6 thread:

week 1 (this week) starts off very cold but moderates towards the weekend.

week 2 starts off with +epo/-pna with east coast ridge. Finishes with -epo/+pna troff settles in east

week 3 -epo/+pna. Probably the coldest week of the run. Also looks like the stj makes a brief return week 2 into week 3

week 4 -epo /-pna, weak se ridge (basically december pattern)

weeks 2-4 PV over northern hudson bay.

I can almost hear David Byrne singing...same as it ever was...same as it ever was

Could this be our best chance at a big one?

Down to 12.5

My labordoodle loves the cold but he is hunkered in snuggling with his mommy, I just told him it was time to go out,not sure but I think he just gave me the finger! 

You have accurate wind speed? 

my property is surrounded by trees on all sides so I doubt I will ever be able to get accurate wind data so I havn't bought anything to even try and record it

Archived