Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya, I'm actually surprised. It's cold for sure, but I thought it would feel worse. Like painful cold. Maybe that's reserved for like -30° and below.

I was once in cold that was down to about -12 in State College (January 2009) and it actually didn't feel terrible because it was a calm, windless night. The 4F we had here in NYC this morning with a lot of wind may have felt worse.

I dunno, I caught a nice gust this morning and it was about as nasty as I've ever felt.

On my stroll, I did encounter a couple gusts, but nothing major. Maybe 10mph or so. They were cold, but I wouldn't quite describe them as "biting", and certainly not painful. I guess I'm just saying I can imagine much colder... Which I suppose is a good thing, since some places regularly see much colder and I don't know how that would work if -8°F felt like death. :P

I was once in cold that was down to about -12 in State College (January 2009) and it actually didn't feel terrible because it was a calm, windless night. The 4F we had here in NYC this morning with a lot of wind may have felt worse.

We got down to -18 that morning and it was calm. Perfect for the frozen snow bubbles to float slowly to the ground. 

On my stroll, I did encounter a couple gusts, but nothing major. Maybe 10mph or so. They were cold, but I wouldn't quite describe them as "biting", and certainly not painful. I guess I'm just saying I can imagine much colder... Which I suppose is a good thing, since some places regularly see much colder and I don't know how that would work if -8°F felt like death. :P

I walked to my apartment from downtown last night at around 9:30 -- the temperature was around zero at that time -- and it felt worse then than it did this morning when walking to Walker.  Of course, it was a good deal gustier last night; I figure there were several gusts to 35 or 40 MPH.  

Not sure of year i'll have to check, but it was in single digits, not sure of wind chill but it was negative we had a bad fire in town here, our breathing apparatus was freezing, water spray freezing almost imediate etc. anyhow not ling after being there i got soaked, but i was inside working, once i came out, i froze solid and couldn't stop shaking. I was definitly hypothermic. It was the one and only time i was chilled to the bone. I couldn't even take my gear off it was frozen. Hope it never happens again!

Much windier in Port Matilda and also out at the airport. Probably due to being more open. 

The concept of the wind chill was pretty damn clear when I was walking our dogs, thinking it's fine, then I got hit by a good gust. 

I don't know why, but I was thinking that was December 25, 1983 instead. My memory is probably failing like the rest of me.

Uh oh.  Maybe my memory is beginning to fade also? lol.  Maybe djr5001 could go back and check both 12/25/80 and 12/25/83 and tell us which date it was??  The reason I think it was 1980 is because I was not yet in Optometry school, which began Aug 1982.  We'll have to see.

As for here this morning, I dropped to -2.4 degrees on one of my digital (lab grade) thermometers and to -2.7 on another one, and to -2.3 on yet a third one.  LOL  I've got more thermometers than just those 3.  I'm a bit of a thermometer fanatic actually.  I will go with my -2.4F as my official low.  Also, my dew point did drop to -15.8 degrees overnight so that broke my all-time lowest observed dew point by one degree.

Uh oh. Maybe my memory is beginning to fade also? lol. Maybe djr5001 could go back and check both 12/25/80 and 12/25/83 and tell us which date it was?? The reason I think it was 1980 is

because I was not yet in Optometry school, which began Aug 1982. We'll have to see.

As for here this morning, I dropped to -2.4

degrees on one of my digital (lab grade)

thermometers and to -2.7 on another one, and to -2.3 on yet a third one. LOL I've got more thermometers than just those 3. I'm a bit of a thermometer fanatic actually. I will go with my -

2.4F as my official low. Also, my dew point did drop to -15.8 degrees overnight so that broke my all-time lowest observed dew point by one degree.

That's funny...I was thinking '83 because I graduated that spring and remember driving home from work on Christmas eve and it was already in the single digits. My dad advised me to stay home that night instead of going to a party because of the extreme cold.

Much windier in Port Matilda and also out at the airport. Probably due to being more open. 

The concept of the wind chill was pretty damn clear when I was walking our dogs, thinking it's fine, then I got hit by a good gust. 

I walked to my apartment from downtown last night at around 9:30 -- the temperature was around zero at that time -- and it felt worse then than it did this morning when walking to Walker.  Of course, it was a good deal gustier last night; I figure there were several gusts to 35 or 40 MPH.  

Lowest I saw on my gauge overnight was -3.6. It has since warmed to a balmy -0.3, so we should be above zero soon. I will echo the thoughts previous--the cold doesn't feel too bad once you are in it, but couple that with a 25mph gust, and it stings a bit, lol.

Ya, when I went out last night with the wind, it did feel colder.

Uh oh.  Maybe my memory is beginning to fade also? lol.  Maybe djr5001 could go back and check both 12/25/80 and 12/25/83 and tell us which date it was??  The reason I think it was 1980 is because I was not yet in Optometry school, which began Aug 1982.  We'll have to see.

As for here this morning, I dropped to -2.4 degrees on one of my digital (lab grade) thermometers and to -2.7 on another one, and to -2.3 on yet a third one.  LOL  I've got more thermometers than just those 3.  I'm a bit of a thermometer fanatic actually.  I will go with my -2.4F as my official low.  Also, my dew point did drop to -15.8 degrees overnight so that broke my all-time lowest observed dew point by one degree.

Which is your favorite? I can't easily do a Davis station so I want to add a second high-end thermometer and would love a suggestion. :)

both of those dates had similar conditions... but temperature and wind chill was lower in 1983 during the early morning hours... Here are two quick links for MDT data... CXY is similar

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMDT/1980/12/25/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KMDT/1983/12/25/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Hi,  wanted to pass along I fly helicopters out of the York area and while passing over the river I took some photos. I was not sure how to post them on this site but I uploaded them on our facebook. If someone would like to share them off of our facebook that would be fine by me. This is the link https://www.facebook.com/EastCoastHelicopters?ref=hl. All photos taking by long level and Rt 30 bridge hope to get back up fri or sat to get a few more. Been a few years since I have seen good ice on the river. 

Hi,  wanted to pass along I fly helicopters out of the York area and while passing over the river I took some photos. I was not sure how to post them on this site but I uploaded them on our facebook. If someone would like to share them off of our facebook that would be fine by me. This is the link https://www.facebook.com/EastCoastHelicopters?ref=hl. All photos taking by long level and Rt 30 bridge hope to get back up fri or sat to get a few more. Been a few years since I have seen good ice on the river. 

Canderson, cancel the photo competition. Paweather5 beat us all.

Nice pics!

First PDS I've seen for the blizzard here. Did Eastern make it to the Tug? Haven't seen any posts from him.

..BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR PORTIONS OF NIAGARA FRONTIER ...

ZERO VISIBILITY WITH WIND GUSTS TO 47 MPH WERE REPORTED AT THE
AIRPORT JUST AFTER 12 PM THIS AFTERNOON.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

BLINDING SNOW...WHITE OUT CONDITIONS...AND DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND
CHILLS TO 20 BELOW SHOULD BE EXPECTED IN THE BAND THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON. A CASUAL DRIVE OR TRIP OUTSIDE CAN QUICKLY LEAD TO A
LIFE THREATENING SITUATION WITHOUT PROPER WINTER GEAR.

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW HAS LIKELY REACHED ITS FURTHEST NORTHERN
EXTENT...AND SHOULD START TO DRIFT A LITTLE TO THE SOUTH THIS
AFTERNOON. EXPECT A CONTINUATION OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN AND
AROUND THE BAND FROM THE NORTHTOWNS TO THE SOUTHTOWNS AS WELL AS
THROUGHOUT MUCH OF GENESEE COUNTY. CONDITIONS ACROSS NORTHERN
WYOMING COUNTY WILL WORSEN AGAIN LATER THIS AFTERNOON AS THE BAND
BEGINS TO HEAD SOUTH.

Archived