Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crappy phone pic of the Susquehanna north of the 30 bridge. It's too dark on my way home to get a decent pic with my dslr, so this will have to do.uploadfromtaptalk1389183201425.jpg

Drove over there about a half hour ago.  Almost completely frozen,  Will it stay that way through this warm spell?

That will be gone after this weekend.

Jamie, Im one of them. Good info. In 96 the local Fire police came down my road at Accomac just north of Wrightsville saying a jam broke in Harrisburg and took out the walnut St bridge. My house was high enough it didn't even get water in agnes so I watched the flow come down, boats and all. Water and Ice came to the my front yard and stayed away from the house.

I'm so glad there are some fellow Susquehanna ice nerds on here. Interesting history of Susquehanna ice jams: http://icejams.crrel.usace.army.mil/tectran/IERD21.pdf

As I mentioned yesterday, my fascination with ice on the river was born during the winter of '77-'78. As someone who has spent nearly my entire life within a mile or so of the Susky, I've learned to appreciate and respect it during all seasons.

Jamie, Im one of them. Good info. In 96 the local Fire police came down my road at Accomac just north of Wrightsville saying a jam broke in Harrisburg and took out the walnut St bridge. My house was high enough it didn't even get water in agnes so I watched the flow come down, boats and all. Water and Ice came to the my front yard and stayed away from the house.

That would freak me out. I'd be so worried. 

As I mentioned yesterday, my fascination with ice on the river was born during the winter of '77-'78. As someone who has spent nearly my entire life within a mile or so of the Susky, I've learned to appreciate and respect it during all seasons.

Yep, right around the same time for me too. I didn't grow up as close to it but the Susquehanna is in my blood. 

That would freak me out. I'd be so worried. 

Yep, right around the same time for me too. I didn't grow up as close to it but the Susquehanna is in my blood. 

:yikes:   I'd get that checked out...

Looks like a pretty nasty one on the Delaware River near Trenton at the moment. 

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=phi&gage=tren4

On to the week of 1/19...

You hush...

I'm sick of winter already. These past few days with the water tanker have really tested my meddle. A couple of times I thought my vent was frozen shut and ran back, nearly killing myself on the ice, to shut the pump off. If the vent is blocked, the trailer will crush like a soda can, and is good for nothing but scrap metal. If we implode one, it's a fireable offense.

Any chance we have any ice jam's on the susky like the Delaware river is having. It is solid frozen been a long time since I have seen that. Mag any news on the clarion river was that due to a ice jam.

CTP says minor flooding.

Areal Flood Watch

Expires 7:00 PM EST on January 09, 2014

Statement as of 7:51 PM EST on January 8, 2014

... Flood Watch in effect through Thursday evening...

The National Weather Service in State College has issued a

* Flood Watch for a portion of Dauphin County in central

Pennsylvania... including Middletown.

* Through Thursday evening.

* An ice jam on the Susquehanna River is causing water to back up

the Swatara creek near Middletown. This could cause minor

flooding along the Swatara creek in the vicinity of Middletown.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding on small

streams... creeks.

You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible

flood warnings. Those living in areas prone to flooding should be

prepared to take action should flooding develop.

Any chance we have any ice jam's on the susky like the Delaware river is having. It is solid frozen been a long time since I have seen that. Mag any news on the clarion river was that due to a ice jam.

I haven't heard any news or seen any NWS products that would suggest anythings happening up there, I just happened to catch on CTP's rivers/lakes map that it was registering at major flood stage. Now the hydrograph shows no data since early today. Something must be messed up with the gauge. There's def going to be a heightened risk for ice jams the next couple days as we eventually moderate into what should amount to our January thaw the next several days and deal with a system that looks to produce a decent rainfall over the weekend. As canderson noted there's already one that is backing up the Swatara a bit and could cause some minor flooding issues. 

I was surprised to look out and see it snowing. I forgot about it. Actually snowing at a steady clip.

Yep, looks to hang around for a bit too. Maybe we can sneak an inch out of it.

Summary of the Great Polar Vortex:

RECORD EVENT REPORTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY239 AM EST WED JAN 08 2014...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES SET AT AVOCA PA...A DAILY RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -4 DEGREES WAS SET AT AVOCAPA...SCRANTON WILKES-BARRE AIRPORT...YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLDRECORD FOR JANUARY 7TH OF 3 SET IN 1988.THE HIGH TEMPERATURE OF PLUS 6 DEGREES WAS ALSO THE COLDEST FORJANUARY 7TH. THE OLD RECORD WAS 14 IN 1942.  THIS WAS THE 8THCOLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE IN JANUARY. THE COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE INJANUARY WAS -2 ON JANUARY 19TH...1994.THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE OF PLUS 1 WAS ALSO THE COLDEST FOR JANUARY7TH. THE OLD RECORD WAS 9 IN 1942.

With all of the attention and media hype focused on the term polar vortex over the past few days I feel like the Weather Channel should just get it over with and start naming them too.

:lol:

Had a little car topping light snow overnight, but by car topper I mean a very light dusting. Any other surface it doesn't even look like it snowed is was so light. Temp this morning is 17, which feels quite balmy compared to the previous two mornings.

:lol:

Had a little car topping light snow overnight, but by car topper I mean a very light dusting. Any

other surface it doesn't even look like it snowed is was so light. Temp this morning is 17, which feels quite balmy compared to the previous two

mornings.

It did feel pretty good outside when I left for work. If we get enough sun today, I think we make a run at 32, at least down here in the LSV.

Archived