Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First PDS I've seen for the blizzard here. Did Eastern make it to the Tug? Haven't seen any posts from him.

..BLIZZARD CONDITIONS FOR PORTIONS OF NIAGARA FRONTIER ...

ZERO VISIBILITY WITH WIND GUSTS TO 47 MPH WERE REPORTED AT THE

AIRPORT JUST AFTER 12 PM THIS AFTERNOON.

...THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION...

BLINDING SNOW...WHITE OUT CONDITIONS...AND DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND

CHILLS TO 20 BELOW SHOULD BE EXPECTED IN THE BAND THROUGH THE

AFTERNOON. A CASUAL DRIVE OR TRIP OUTSIDE CAN QUICKLY LEAD TO A

LIFE THREATENING SITUATION WITHOUT PROPER WINTER GEAR.

THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW HAS LIKELY REACHED ITS FURTHEST NORTHERN

EXTENT...AND SHOULD START TO DRIFT A LITTLE TO THE SOUTH THIS

AFTERNOON. EXPECT A CONTINUATION OF BLIZZARD CONDITIONS IN AND

AROUND THE BAND FROM THE NORTHTOWNS TO THE SOUTHTOWNS AS WELL AS

THROUGHOUT MUCH OF GENESEE COUNTY. CONDITIONS ACROSS NORTHERN

WYOMING COUNTY WILL WORSEN AGAIN LATER THIS AFTERNOON AS THE BAND

BEGINS TO HEAD SOUTH.

I was trying to find a good webcam for around there but I guess "good" right now is if you like to look at the color white lol... what are the highest totals so far you have seen?  These are the most recent released by NWS Buffalo http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/wx/afos/p.php?pil=PNSBUF&e=201401071739

Probably don't reach 0 again. Looks like we fall back some after sunset before steadying itself as winds aloft start backing slightly to the southwest. At least that's what the mets in the Philly thread are saying.

yea there will not be the drop off in temps like last night... will fall a few degrees but 0 or below will be tough with the core of the cold air moving out... not so sure winds calm nearly enough for any good radiational cooling

Thanks Pawatch for posting the pictures. I have been getting a lot of request for more pictures so I think Thursday I will go back up and see how thick it has become. So look for the follow up pics.  

Unfortunately it'll break apart/go away extremely fast. I wouldn't be too surprised tomorrow if it lost a lot of ice despite being in the 20s given it'll be sunny.

I lived along the Susq  river almost directly across  from where I live now on the York side in Jan 96. The ice that came down and jammed was so think it stayed on my front lawn well into spring. Not sure I will ever see a ice flood like that again.

I wish I had pictures of the ice I saw during 96 along that river. 

Hi,  wanted to pass along I fly helicopters out of the York area and while passing over the river I took some photos. I was not sure how to post them on this site but I uploaded them on our facebook. If someone would like to share them off of our facebook that would be fine by me. This is the link https://www.facebook.com/EastCoastHelicopters?ref=hl. All photos taking by long level and Rt 30 bridge hope to get back up fri or sat to get a few more. Been a few years since I have seen good ice on the river. 

Got bored waiting for a system install to finish so I tried cleaning one of the photos up a tiny bit 8er8p5S.jpg

I will never forget the sounds of the river moaning like it did back in '77-78 while living in Washington Boro. I was 13 at the time and so this is subject to some exaggeration, but it seemed like the massive mounds of ice reached the sky.

I remember that,  I was a year or two younger then you. My grandparents had a place at long level. The Ice was way higher then the front end loaders clearing the road. That was  worse then 96.

Weird temp info. I have 10.3F at my house, and all sources confirm that is correct. However, not 8 mi down the road, Hagerstown is reporting 21F, and their high was only forecast to be 14F. Anyone care to guess if that temp is just wrong coming from KHGR?

Looks like the 5PM ob is 12° which is in line with the surrounding area.  The 3 and 4PM obs seem suspect though...some sort of error.

We've slid back down to 1° here...still pretty breezy out in the open...nasty.

Weird temp info. I have 10.3F at my house, and all sources confirm that is correct. However, not 8 mi down the road, Hagerstown is reporting 21F, and their high was only forecast to be 14F. Anyone care to guess if that temp is just wrong coming from KHGR?

No idea... it randomly jumped up from 8 to 19 in an hour and is now back down to 12 already...

Looks like the 5PM ob is 12° which is in line with the surrounding area.  The 3 and 4PM obs seem suspect though...some sort of error.

We've slid back down to 1° here...still pretty breezy out in the open...nasty.

Thanks! Thought something was up. I'm already down to 7.3F here, thinking we may end up lower than forecast.

Archived