Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile, latest Euro Weeklies....hmmm...sound familiar? Courtesy Phillywx.com's Euro Weeklies 1/6 thread:

week 1 (this week) starts off very cold but moderates towards the weekend.

week 2 starts off with +epo/-pna with east coast ridge. Finishes with -epo/+pna troff settles in east

week 3 -epo/+pna. Probably the coldest week of the run. Also looks like the stj makes a brief return week 2 into week 3

week 4 -epo /-pna, weak se ridge (basically december pattern)

weeks 2-4 PV over northern hudson bay.

I can almost hear David Byrne singing...same as it ever was...same as it ever was

This winter has definitely seemed to pick a theme and stick with it to this point with a Pac driven pattern and an absence of Greenland blocking. As the EPO flips positive with a very negative PNA this week as per the latest teleconnection forecasts, our airmass will be quickly be overrun with air of Pacific origin at the end of the week and we will be talking perhaps a period of above normal temps...though I suspect it will be another sluggish muted warmup at the surface. PNA forecasted to flip from solidly negative to solidly positive in the longer term which would eventually return our cross polar flow regime. We've been due for an actual warm up, there's not been much more than a handful of warm days since winter arrived in late November.. the question will be how long will it last?

I'd really like to see some kind of support from the Atlantic as we move into the part of the winter we traditionally see our big hitters (i.e February) if we continue with the same general theme out in the Pacific. Otherwise we'll continue to be vulnerable to these cutting storms (or coastals with displaced cold) in between periods where it's very cold. 

This winter has definitely seemed to pick a theme and stick with it to this point with a Pac driven pattern and an absence of Greenland blocking. As the EPO flips positive with a very negative PNA this week as per the latest teleconnection forecasts, our airmass will be quickly be overrun with air of Pacific origin at the end of the week and we will be talking perhaps a period of above normal temps...though I suspect it will be another sluggish muted warmup at the surface. PNA forecasted to flip from solidly negative to solidly positive in the longer term which would eventually return our cross polar flow regime. We've been due for an actual warm up, there's not been much more than a handful of warm days since winter arrived in late November.. the question will be how long will it last?

I'd really like to see some kind of support from the Atlantic as we move into the part of the winter we traditionally see our big hitters (i.e February) if we continue with the same general theme out in the Pacific. Otherwise we'll continue to be vulnerable to these cutting storms (or coastals with displaced cold) in between periods where it's very cold. 

I wonder what the setup was for the March 94 storm and how we got that?

as of 10PM it is 10 degrees at MDT with 32 mph sustained... I am down to 4 at the house...

Pittsburgh at -5 has tied record low for today...

Altoona has broken record low for today

Bradford has broken record low for today

Erie has broken a record low for today...

doubt State College/Williamsport/Harrisburg/etc break records for the 6th but well on the way to set records for 7th

A little bit...how did that one go?

There are people here who think that one was worst than the 93 Superstorm here.

When I worked at AccuWeather, Elliot Abrams told me about JB picking him up in his Bronco to go to AccuWeather and sliding around in a foot of snow on Beaver Ave.

Apparently there were some ungodly rates too.

Thanks!

When I worked at AccuWeather, Elliot Abrams told me about JB picking him up in his Bronco to go to AccuWeather and sliding around in a foot of snow on Beaver Ave.

Thanks!

That's amazing.

the super storm of 93 was amazing to see.  I still think 96 was a bit better. insane snow fall rates.... My deck was about 30 inches off the ground. the snow was to the top of the deck. (both storms). you would shovel a path and two hours later the path was gone..

6.6 here now.

Thanks!

We had thundersnow here for that one (was the first time i have ever seen it)

If i remember correctly we had 14" for that storm in a short period of time 8 hrs maybe???

Also its just a little cold outside tonight...

Archived