Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - January 2014

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An important fact:  if the record is broken in State College tomorrow, that will be the first record-low minimum temperature there since 2004.  

Interesting: the record of -1F from 1988 is by far the highest for the month of January.  Next highest is -5F, held on four different days.  So it's a record just waiting to be broken.

I am pretty sure that the current report from KUNV of 41F is incorrect (it's 22F at Walker Bldg), but I will say that there is a very impressive wall of cloud and snow coming into State College right now visible from the library on campus, with the wind picking up.

Indeed.  It is snowing moderately (nice, big flakes, too) now at Walker Building, with heavier snow just southwest (from further reduced visibility).  

Remember to let your sinks drip if they're exposed to an exterior wall. We have to let our kitchen drip if it's below 10-15 for any length of time. Learned that in 2007 ... thankfully it unfroze before busting.

Yep. Also, open the cabinets under the sink. I am so afraid of busted pipes, man.

I actually read on the York Daily Record site that most newer houses in the York area were only built with plumbing to handle 13 degrees. That surprised me. 

Yep. Also, open the cabinets under the sink. I am so afraid of busted pipes, man.

I actually read on the York Daily Record site that most newer houses in the York area were only built with plumbing to handle 13 degrees. That surprised me. 

Ours was built in 2006, so yeah. It's the only one we have a problem with - it shares lines with the external water spigot which I think leads to the problem. Thankfully we have only had to dealt with it a few times, we lit it drip last Friday and part of Saturday for good measure and will do it tonight through Wednesday. I hate wasting water but you do what you have to do I guess.

and those are just the record lows...

Harrisburg has lowest high record of 16 for the 7th (1888-present), Altoona 15 (1948-present), Williamsport 15 (1895-present), State College 9 (1893-present), Bradford 10 (1957-present)

Looks as if all those should fall tomorrow.

Temp dropping nicely here now.  25° at 3:35, now down to 21°.

The gusty winds are going to keep this air mass from really competing with the bottom end temps seen in the '94 outbreak despite 850 temps that are pretty similar. On that same note, the wind is why this cold air outbreak is going to be quite dangerous regardless. Gusts of 20-30mph are going to be pretty common across the region thru tomorrow (with near advisory level gusts possible for a time tonight in the Laurels) with gusts up around 40 in the rest of the south central. That would normally keep temps in say.. the teens, during a typical post storm cold regime but we're combining the winds with a frigid air mass that will be sending most of central PA below zero. The Laurels are going to have the lowest temps and the highest winds, there are going to be some ridiculous wind chills. 

Posting for prosperity:

Tonight: Partly cloudy and windy. Much colder with lows around zero. West winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. Wind chill values as low as 21 below.
Tuesday: Sunny and brisk. Much colder with highs around 10. West winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Wind chill values as low as 23 below.
Tuesday Night: Mostly clear. Cold with lows around zero. West winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph in the evening.

Temp dropping quickly..Sitting at 15

Seems like everytime i look at it.. it goes down a degree.

starting to see that around Harrisburg now... dropped from 25 to 22 in the past 15 minutes at my house

Edit: now 19... has fallen 6 degrees in past half hour

I am pretty sure that the current report from KUNV of 41F is incorrect (it's 22F at Walker Bldg), but I will say that there is a very impressive wall of cloud and snow coming into State College right now visible from the library on campus, with the wind picking up.

there was an error in the metar code that for some reason a "/" was placed where an "m" should have been for a -5C temp instead of +5C

Still 22 as the true cold air has not arrived yet. Not looking forward to hauling spring water tomorrow. It'll freeze almost instantly in the valves and vent pipe, and with the wind as strong as it's going to be, I'm going to have a difficult time trying to keep the torch lit to melt the stuff when I load and unload.

Still 22 as the true cold air has not arrived yet. Not looking forward to hauling spring water tomorrow. It'll freeze almost instantly in the valves and vent pipe, and with the wind as strong as it's going to be, I'm going to have a difficult time trying to keep the torch lit to melt the stuff when I load and unload.

A lot of my time is spent sampling groundwater...this kind of weather is the worst...pumps, tubing, and samples all frozen in seconds. We pulled everyone from the field for tomorrow though, too cold.

Down to 4 here now.

A lot of my time is spent sampling groundwater...this kind of weather is the worst...pumps, tubing, and samples all frozen in seconds. We pulled everyone from the field for tomorrow though, too cold.

Down to 4 here now.

Not the place we deliver to. The local plant manager wanted to run drinking water and put spring water on hold for the day because the spring water is trucked in while the drinking water comes from the municipal system. The people at the home office in California told him "you WILL run spring water". So... they want water, we have to haul it.

Archived