URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA
639 PM EST SUN JAN 5 2014

PAZ036-064-060500-
/O.EXT.KCTP.IS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-140106T0500Z/
FRANKLIN-ADAMS-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CHAMBERSBURG...GETTYSBURG
639 PM EST SUN JAN 5 2014

...ICE STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT EST TONIGHT...

* LOCATIONS...SOUTH CENTRAL MOUNTAINS

* HAZARD TYPES...FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS....WIDESPREAD ONE-QUARTER TO ONE-HALF OF AN INCH.

* TIMING...TEMPERATURES ARE SLOWLY WARMING TO ABOVE FREEZING...BUT
WILL TAKE A FEW MORE HOURS TO DO SO EVERYWHERE. EXPECT AREAS OF
FREEZING RAIN TO LAST THROUGH MIDNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...ICY AND TREACHEROUS CONDITIONS. TRAVEL IS DISCOURAGED.
POWER OUTAGES MAY BE WIDESPREAD.

Went out to take the trash around. Sidewalks are solid ice, as is my main road. Like, ice rink ice material. Only reason I never fell is I put one foot in grass/garden area so I was in snow for traction.

Measured accretion on our apple tree, .25" of ice on the limbs (that are heavily sagging). 29 here, no melting whatsoever. Incredibly dangerous.

Went out to take the trash around. Sidewalks are solid ice, as is my main road. Like, ice rink ice material. Only reason I never fell is I put one foot in grass/garden area so I was in snow for traction.

Measured accretion on our apple tree, .25" of ice on the limbs (that are heavily sagging). 29 here, no melting whatsoever. Incredibly dangerous.

And no ice storm warning in Dauphin County?

And no ice storm warning in Dauphin County?

Maybe report that to the NWS via their FB page or website. That's crazy.

MDT shows drizzle and 33, it isn't doing anything here and is 29. Blizzard can attest, I'm sure my West Shore buddies are in the exact same scenario. We all have a very similar microclimate.

I have 30, not sure what djr has, limbs/lines sagging. I was just out, as canderson reports driveway, street and walks are solid ice

I am up to 32 but outdoor instrumentation completely frozen so not sure how accurate it may be... thickness of the ice has varied between .10" and .20" on what I was able to manage to measure

you can tell the warmer air aloft is trying to push closer to the surface but just can't win yet

it is currently 50 at my parents house in Latrobe... going to be quite the temperature swing there in the next 24 hours

Archived